How are you doing, comic-wise?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: How are you doing, comic-wise?

Postby Ti-Phil on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:28 am

Terotrous wrote:
Spaceprincess wrote:I just submitted a new comic to update this sunday after missing 2 months. man, once you start missing an update it gets way too easy to miss more.

Tell me about it. I missed four years.

That... is missing way more than one or two updates....
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter
Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé

"Updates three times a decade!"

Postby Cope on Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:59 am

Ti-Phil wrote:
Terotrous wrote:
Spaceprincess wrote:I just submitted a new comic to update this sunday after missing 2 months. man, once you start missing an update it gets way too easy to miss more.

Tell me about it. I missed four years.

Depends on how regular you've set your update schedule to be.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Postby Dr Legostar on Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Coming up to the end of my semester buffer and trying to write the plots for the next few story lines and weekends and bonus things so that on my two weeks of winter break I can at least get things done up till spring break where I'll have to do the rest of it. I'm also trying to figure out what to do for Legostar Galactica's ten year anniversary, and how I can break past the readership plateau I've had for several years now.
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Re: "Updates three times a decade!"

Postby Turi on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:58 am

Cope wrote:
Ti-Phil wrote:
Terotrous wrote:Tell me about it. I missed four years.

Depends on how regular you've set your update schedule to be.

My schedule is every 14 of August, and that's STILL more than two updates for me.
Turi
Regular Poster

Postby Phact0rri on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:49 am

Where does all the time go? Don't remember the last time I drew an actual comic.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Natane on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:12 am

I haven't posted a comic since... 2005.

But all that is going to change. My CSS layout is nearly finished. I'll probably ask some critiques on it when it's done, as right now it's just a mess and the color schemes are mainly for the purpose of being placeholders...

...the only thing I really need to do to pull it all together are compose the parts I actually need to -draw-. I'm so excited, you guys. I'm finally going to get to do comics again.
Natane
Regular Poster

Postby Phact0rri on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:36 am

I'm currently going through a hunger to draw comics again. haha. I just need to plan something. Hell I had this dream last night about a new comic concept and if I could explain it in my own brain it would be drawn. actually it might be drawn anyways.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:12 pm

Just finished my first update in two weeks. I really had wanted to be on top of this and am disappointed in myself. I want to get this stupid prom chapter done by February so I can move on with my life lol.

The page didn't even turn out that good, but it's one o fthose things where you don't want to spend anymore time trying to fix it than you already have.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:06 am

Since I decided to do IH Book 2 in all B&W, I've managed to crack out pages pretty fast and consistantly. For the first time in my life I'm not asshamed of how long it takes me to get pages done. :D It helped a lot that I was only working part time too. I just started back at a full time job, so that will slow down quite a bit no doubt. :-?
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:47 am

Still drawing each page on separate sheet?

I started doing linework on one sheet and shading on other, and then laying them on top of each other in Photoshop.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby IVstudios on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:53 am

McDuffies wrote:Still drawing each page on separate sheet?

I'm all digital these days. Wacom tablet and Photoshop.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:55 am

IVstudios wrote:Since I decided to do IH Book 2 in all B&W, I've managed to crack out pages pretty fast and consistantly. For the first time in my life I'm not asshamed of how long it takes me to get pages done. :D It helped a lot that I was only working part time too. I just started back at a full time job, so that will slow down quite a bit no doubt. :-?

oh yes. the real job. murdered my productivity. *lol* I really have been horrible at fun drawing, when I spend my days doing tech art bleh
Phact0rri

Postby McDuffies on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:49 pm

IVstudios wrote:
McDuffies wrote:Still drawing each page on separate sheet?

I'm all digital these days. Wacom tablet and Photoshop.

Any new fancy drawing gadget on the other side of the ocean?
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby IVstudios on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:13 pm

Wacom just has updated versions of all their regular tablets. I'm waiting to see if they come up with some Thunderbolt compatible displays (not that it would do me any good with my current computer setup, but it would be nice down the line)

The only really new thing is the Bamboo iPad stylus. Which seems kinda neat but based on what I've read there are cheeper styluses (styli?) that work just as well. Plus I don't have an iPad so again it does me no good. Image
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby peterabnny on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:33 pm

You would think that having a four-day Thanksgiving weekend to work on the house *and* artwork would result in at least SOME art coming out of it, right?

Nope - you would have thought wrongly. Having missed your primary deadline you would think that you'd have worked hard to get a cartoon done in time for your back-up, secondary deadline the following weekend, right?

Again - you would have thought wrongly. I got the pencil rough for my next ep scanned and sent to the girl I'm collaborating with on Nov. 30, with the hope that she'd give me the green light to put it into production right away and I could at least make my secondary deadline that weekend. Unfortunately, she didn't give me that green light until yesterday, when I wrote her asking about it. So now I've gone from being my usual little late for my updating, to being A LOT late now.

*sigh* Off to the drawing table I go!
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org
peterabnny
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:00 pm

Add more work to your pile, Peter!! Join the Secret Santa thread!!
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dutch! on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:14 pm

I'm keeping up with seven updates a week for the moment, which is a bit of a surprise to me how consistent I've managed to keep them, but also a relief to get the storyline and the 1100th milestone up before the end of the year. So that's all good.

Which has left me wondering if I could upgrade to five strips a week from next year... but I'm not convinced on that yet. :D
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Dutch!
Red galah

Postby Terotrous on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Dutch! wrote:Which has left me wondering if I could upgrade to five strips a week from next year... but I'm not convinced on that yet. :D

I wouldn't rock the boat. 4 strips a week is a ton compared to most comics and if it's been working for you for this long, you've probably found the optimal amount. Don't want to burn yourself out.

Ti-Phil wrote:That... is missing way more than one or two updates....

Yeah, I lost my passion for drawing comics. It just became like work, and when faced between that and actual work, comics lost out.

But I felt bad having all these ideas and plans that I wasn't going to use. I wanted to start it again for a long time, but it wasn't until this year that I managed to force myself to do it, largely fueled by the apparently slow death of Comic Genesis if not webcartooning in general.

I've been updating slower this year, but I feel the quality of the comics is much better than it was in the last year or so before I stopped. And no one reads my comic anymore, but that's okay. What did my readers ever do for me? Worthless bastards to the man, especially K-Dawg.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Postby robotthepirate on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:06 am

Earlier today I was musing a scene just before a massive robots versus robots battle which will probably happen very late in the comic. Its not exactly planned so much as is a notion I often imagine. As for how far in the future that is...

If all the chapters last as long as Chapter 1 they'll each take about a year to make, I've currently planned up to Chapter 5 and I'm only part way through 2. If at a very rough estimate I give 10 chapters to each of the storylines I know all have to happen before the end I imaging reaching the final battle in about 40 years.

So I think I'm quite ahead of myself.

I've currently given up on buffers because by the time the comic is released I don't feel a passionate about it any more now I'm busy on my next page.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby peterabnny on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:01 pm

Having finally gotten this most recent ep released, time to go right back to my drawing table to start over again. Hopefully I can get back on my schedule...
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org
peterabnny
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion