How are you doing, comic-wise?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: How are you doing, comic-wise?

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:39 pm

McDuffies wrote:Ok, but what about comics?

Rimshot.gif
Rimshot.gif (7.43 KiB) Viewed 624 times
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ti-Phil on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:43 am

Finished the 422nd page of the Volet yesterday, coming slowly but surely toward the last third of the story.
Zworgue's storyline is about halfway done. Eventually he'll be sealed.
Deception's storyline is going to hell, litterally, the town in which he lives into is being zipped and deleted, so lots of actions like scenes. But it's ending eventually.
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter
Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé

Postby Sites on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:58 am

I've just gotten started. After about a year of planning and brainstorming we finally started ours and it is super exciting. The response from our friends has been really enthusiastic, too!

Ahh, now I make you all nostalgic for the excitement of a fresh start, don't I? :D
'Sites. A comic about the dystopian, cyberpunk, post-zombie-apocalypse future.
Sites

Postby Risky on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:25 am

I'm 90% of the way through my recap / dithering chapter. I'm disappointed in it. -_-

I have something like 10 "regulars" who I suspect may just be traffic noise, considering I update about once a month. My comic has been largely wiped from google, and I've spent a lot of money on advertising in the past year to no real effect. I feel bad because I know I can do Everything better than I do: better site design, better art, better storytelling, better character development, yet for some reason whenever I distill it into comic form, it comes out disappointing.

I spent part of last month censoring old comics because I thought the early crappy nudity might be giving people the wrong impression about the comic. I'm thinking I may just restart from scratch, using the "recap" bit of this chapter as a sort of "Chapter Zero" of the reboot. But then I wonder, is there any point? Is this even the story I want to tell anymore?

It is, though... I do, though... so I plod onward in the darkness.

So really, everything's great, comic-wise.
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:38 pm

This is an exceptionally bad time for me to lose my .25 copic pen. I was looking to get a lot of drawing done this weekend and this is going to really fuck things up if I can't find it.

Seriously,what the hell. That's like the one point that is really hard to make do without. The .7 and .5 are practically interchangeable, the .03 I hardly ever use because it's just too small. But the .7 and .5 are too thick for smaller details, and trying to get the thickness I want using the tiny .03 nib would be a huge hassle.

I have no idea where it has gone. I've checked all the places I keep my pens, all the places I keep my markers, all the places I shove things to when I'm not using them. I haven't inked since Monday or Tuesday, I can't even remember, and I'm desperately trying to figure where I would have put this one stupidly important pen.

I've rechecked every place more than once. I was on a roll with coloring but this has stopped me dead in my tracks, even though I don't need it for this particular page anymore. God DAMMIT where is my pen???? I'm about to bite the .5 in half.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Bustertheclown on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:27 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:This is an exceptionally bad time for me to lose my .25 copic pen.

I feel your pain, for I, too, have lost specific pens at crucial times. Drives me up a wall. I hope fate smiles upon you, and you find it soon.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby spoonyliger on Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:57 am

*returns after long absence*

Welllll... my comic... hasn't gotten any page updates in at least a year, which I'm upset about. I do have another chapter in the making. Oh, and I'm also in the process of holding a Moon Crest 24 art-contest on DeviantART with DA points for prizes and limited-edition, signed copies of my comic. If you're interested, pm me and I'll link you when the contest is up. For now, enjoy the Harold and Kumar X-mas movie - It's great!
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:14 am

Bustertheclown wrote:
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:This is an exceptionally bad time for me to lose my .25 copic pen.

I feel your pain, for I, too, have lost specific pens at crucial times. Drives me up a wall. I hope fate smiles upon you, and you find it soon.

I did find it, thank goodness, it was in the bucket of red/orange markers some reason. Which I had checked at least twice but...??? Oh well.Found it, finished coloring, hopefully going to get that update up today.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Warren on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:48 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:This is an exceptionally bad time for me to lose my .25 copic pen. I was looking to get a lot of drawing done this weekend and this is going to really fuck things up if I can't find it.

I feel this.

I don't really use expensive pens or nice paper for my comic, so it takes a while for me to find pens I like (usually of the Pilot variety). But whenever I find one with the perfect feel and flow, they always discontinue it.
:evil:
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
Proudly despised by ex-wives since 2008.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby Turi on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:46 pm

Wait, people can make comics?
Turi
Regular Poster

Postby Phact0rri on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:55 am

I have a favourite mechanical pencil, aluminum body with a nice heft. But pens.. I'm not that particular. I like to use sharpies sometimes. :)
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Dutch! on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:35 pm

Varied pen sizes?

I bought and used my first Sharpie just two months ago - and I think I use that more now for work as well.

Is that what I've been doing wrong all these years, just using whatever fineliner was cheap from Kmart? :)
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Dutch!
Red galah

Postby Phact0rri on Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Dutch! wrote:Varied pen sizes?

I bought and used my first Sharpie just two months ago - and I think I use that more now for work as well.

Is that what I've been doing wrong all these years, just using whatever fineliner was cheap from Kmart? :)

I like various sizes. I tend to get what ever free flow pens that have a few sizes in a packet, for as cheap as I can get. the archival pens Zig-zag or something works well for me.

I experimented with sharpies when I was doing this black and white sin city style, ages ago. And I really like sharpies, for doing fills and stuff.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri

Postby Turi on Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:47 pm

I use either a range of fineliners or a brush pen. The latter has the most vibrant line, but is harder to control, so I use it for quickies or when I take the time to do it right.
Turi
Regular Poster

Postby McDuffies on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:18 pm

I'm now mostly doing .02 and .03 felt tips.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Corgan_dane on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:54 am

After my looong hiatus, and return, I think things are going fairly well. I'm getting the hang of using Illustrator and Photoshop, two programs I'd never had any experience with before. I feel like I'm falling back into my groove, too. Those first couple of comics after I came back took forever, but I'm getting faster again, remembering all the old tricks.

Readership wise, I'm nowhere close to the old numbers, but pleased with the readers I do have. Slow, steady growth though. I'm doing the comics for my own enjoyment, so I'm focusing less on "OMG I NEEDS MAH HITS" and more on "I really like how that shading turned out." It's pleasant.
Corgan_dane
Cartoon Hero

Postby Spaceprincess on Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:21 am

I just submitted a new comic to update this sunday after missing 2 months. man, once you start missing an update it gets way too easy to miss more.

I'm a regular reader of loud era but with most web comics I can read several months worth of comics in a few minutes so there isn't a need to check in very often.
Spaceprincess
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:02 pm

Spaceprincess wrote:I just submitted a new comic to update this sunday after missing 2 months. man, once you start missing an update it gets way too easy to miss more.

Oh man, ain't it the truth... I like when I can build up momentum and just keep working on comics, but it's rare, and when you fall out of that momentum, damn, do you fall!

Spaceprincess wrote:I'm a regular reader of loud era but with most web comics I can read several months worth of comics in a few minutes so there isn't a need to check in very often.

Aww. I appreciate that. For what it's worth, I know that my comic is never going to be a big-hitter readership wise, because the subject doesn't have universal appeal (and I'm not a strong enough writer to MAKE it appealing to a huge number of people, either) and for numerous other reasons, some of which are my own downfalls and some of which are the nature of comic readers. I just get a little disheartened, when I feel so good about getting 15 hits one day, and then I glance at my pal's stats and see that she's got an average of quite a few hundred readers daily. It's all relative, obviously, but as a human being I have an ego and it doesn't always respond rationally to, well, anything :lol:
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:11 pm

Spaceprincess wrote:I just submitted a new comic to update this sunday after missing 2 months. man, once you start missing an update it gets way too easy to miss more.

YES. :(
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Terotrous on Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:25 pm

Tell me about it. I missed four years.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion