How are you doing, comic-wise?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: How are you doing, comic-wise?

Postby Yeahduff on Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:03 pm

Almost done penciling a thing. You'd know that if you were following me on twitter.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:24 pm

Yeahduff wrote:Almost done penciling a thing. You'd know that if you were following me on twitter.

What's your twitter?

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I stopped checking the forums every morning as part of my waking up routine because there was never anything new for weeks and then stumbled by after a few days only to find ACTIVITY and it was great :lol:

:)

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Myself, still in scripting hell. My creative juices have been totally expended the past few months and have yet to replenish. I cough up a scene or two every few weeks but it's taking forever to get the whole picture to come together. I'm at the point where I've stopped caring much about it though, I've got other stuff going on in my life right now so I can't beat myself up over not being as productive in my hobby as I used to be. The summer will come soon and I'll drop back to "normal" I'm sure.

Been doing some character practices and sketches here and there. I don't think I'm on the verge of a huge artistic breakthrough like I was before chapter 6 but certain things are coming along easier than they used to which is encouraging.

I just recently came out of a big slump.

As you've noticed, I've revived/rebooted my old comic again. It happened almost by accident, I just drew a couple of pics for fun and everything went from there.
I'm going with a rotating once-a-week schedule now with a full (6-10 page) comic one week and a Flying Tigers chapter the next (so basically one story from each comic a month). If I can get into a good rhythm I want to post a comic each week.

I've had a few commissions over the last few months, nothing massive but a little money and praise has certainly helped my self-esteem a bit.

Also have been working on a lot of art for an artbook/sketchbook thing (I'll be doing a kickstarter in July) and some merch stuff like prints/posters and t-shirts.

I'm just more determined now to do something worthwhile with my creative pursuits, getting too old to be a dreamer, gotta make those dreams reality and I think my art is finally getting to something good enough.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Yeahduff on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:58 am

Amusingly enough, Scoob, you are following me already.

Impressed by your ambition. My current goal is to finish this comic by October and that seems a herculean task.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:23 pm

Yeahduff wrote:Amusingly enough, Scoob, you are following me already.

Errgh...
My twitter is too crowded...
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby JSConner800 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:37 pm

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I stopped checking the forums every morning as part of my waking up routine because there was never anything new for weeks and then stumbled by after a few days only to find ACTIVITY and it was great :lol:

I'm so glad to hear that you guys are on the up-and-up. I was thinking about SS recently. I haven't been back to check it out since my last review but I'm looking forward to seeing how everything played out after the art overhaul.

Comic Genesis is still the second thing on my favorites bar, so I checked it as a force of habit almost every time I checked my bookmarks lol. There were times when I would literally click it, remember that the forum was potentially dead forever, then clicked away before even looking for new posts. I should have known that, like Jason Voorhees, this place will never truly die. It might just end up in space someday.

Hopefully you'll like what we've done with the comic since last you checked. We fixed the font size issue as well, so Steel Salvation should be a more pleasant experience all around :wink:

Been doing some character practices and sketches here and there. I don't think I'm on the verge of a huge artistic breakthrough like I was before chapter 6 but certain things are coming along easier than they used to which is encouraging.

Any progress is good progress!

RobboAKAscooby wrote:I'm just more determined now to do something worthwhile with my creative pursuits, getting too old to be a dreamer, gotta make those dreams reality and I think my art is finally getting to something good enough.

Well, you know what they say about dreams...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHfVn_cfHU
My eternal schlong unravels - VeryCuddlyCornpone
JSConner800
Regular Poster

Postby Ti-Phil on Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:13 pm

Oh joy! After months of difficulties to draw and colour due to my current contract, I'm starting finally to get into a routine again! It may be a new way to make my pages but I love the way it looks right now!
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter
Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé

Postby LibertyCabbage on Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:27 pm

I got another review done after not writing anything for two months besides a joke article, and during that time, I just wanted to tune out webcomics altogether, which is why I haven't been on here in a while. I think the break has helped provide me with some clarity.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Terotrous on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:34 pm

I've been really busy with something I probably still can't talk about, but amazingly my second book hasn't suffered too much, I'm about a month away from being done editing and starting to post it online.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:28 am

It's been about two years since I updated Freakboy, and while I've been intending to continue it at some point, I've been considering lately that I just don't enjoy drawing that much. Like, it's fun to do here and there, but the thought of drawing another chapter makes me feel kinda nauseous. So, these are my options:

A) Do nothing
B) Try to update weekly and hope it's enjoyable
C) Try to update less than weekly and hope it's enjoyable
D) Give the script to an artist
E) Post the script

I'll think more about these options this weekend, but, right now, I'm leaning towards Option E.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

It's harder than it looks.

Postby Cope on Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:30 am

The problem with drawing webcomics is that it feels too much like work
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Re: It's harder than it looks.

Postby Tim on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:41 pm

Cope wrote:The problem with drawing webcomics is that it feels too much like work

Particularly if you want to draw a good webcomic.
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
Tim
Cartoon Hero

Re: It's harder than it looks.

Postby LibertyCabbage on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:11 am

Cope wrote:The problem with drawing webcomics is that it feels too much like work
Yeah, exactly. I mean, some creators can do it, but I just don't care about the characters or story enough, and if I have time for creative stuff, I'd rather spend it working on my blog. Although, I just had an idea for an Option F, which is to continue the comic but make it look shitty and sketchy so I can do it a lot faster, and that might actually kinda work. Kinda like how people do those 24-Hour Comics. If I skip penciling and just wing something in pen real quick, I can probably do a page in an hour or two, and that seems pretty casual.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Humbug on Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:30 pm

I guess I'm the opposite, I'm not happy unless I've sunk hours into my pages. :P
Humbug
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:16 am

Humbug wrote:I guess I'm the opposite, I'm not happy unless I've sunk hours into my pages. :P
Reading Tales of Pylea is what got me thinking about this topic since it seemed like you actually like drawing comics.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobinBlake on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:00 pm

Trying to return to my "World of Fizz" comic after I was sidelined this past March with a corneal ulcer and I had a bunch of personal stuff going down in the meantime. I considered retirement and pursuing other endeavours, but was dragged kicking and screaming back into webcomicking. Okay, some friends and my partner at the time convinced me to come back. I'm not sure how long this run will go, but it will definitely be my last. I've been drawing this comic in some form or fashion since 1997 and I think it's coming close to finally calling it a day.
RobinBlake

Postby Terotrous on Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:35 pm

My second book is finished and I've started posting it. Got like 20 people reading it in like the first hour, which is oddly high for something I didn't publicize at all. They're probably all spambots or something.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Postby chainmailbikini on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:28 pm

Well, I don't normally like to post before I do things, since I have a terrible habit of not following through often times, but I'm -trying- to necro my old webcomic. I've done some pencil work on page 6 of chapter 2, and I've got colors about a quarter done on page 4, so I actually hope to have a new page up... soonish. Assuming I can get it all ftp'd up without my dreamweaver crutch. I also had a friend look over my first chapter, so I plan to go back and fix some of the grammar (not my strong point) and change up my font to something nicer. I lost my computer a while back and while I had backups for most of my comic, I seem to have lost my colors for pages 1, 2, and 3 of book 2, which means I'll have to recolor them if I want to keep the font consistent for both books. At least for the print files anyway.

I guess that's about it. Hopefully I can make this happen!
chainmailbikini
Regular Poster

Postby Xwhy on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:53 am

I'm still posting, albeit not on the regular M-W-F schedule I used to keep, with the gag a day. A couple of times, I thought of delving into the lives of the characters and was afraid it would turn into a soap opera -- not that there would be anything wrong with that, except I don't know that I could keep up with the pace of those kinds of storylines. (Plus, my artwork is a little on the primitive side, even after nearly 8 years at it.)
Xwhy
Regular Poster

Postby Spaceprincess on Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:07 pm

Spaceprincess
Regular Poster

Postby MariaAndMichelle on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:53 pm

:D :D
You're just jealous because you can't get away with speaking in the third person...

Image Image
MariaAndMichelle
Cartoon Henchgirls

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion