How are you doing, comic-wise?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Re: How are you doing, comic-wise?

Post by McDuffies »

*GROUP HUG*

LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Post by LibertyCabbage »

I can certainly extend a virtual handshake back. :) And this situation's ultimately not that big of a deal -- I wasn't ever that bothered about it to begin with, McD and IV did a great job to help defuse the hostility, and, well, it's just a fact of life that as long as there's webcomics, there's gonna be drama about negative webcomic reviews.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"

VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Post by VeryCuddlyCornpone »

FORUM FRIENDSHIP MUSHIE
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Post by Phact0rri »

wait... this is not how internet arguments are supposed to end... where's the person screaming and saying that they are never go on the internet again? Where's the youtube videos and MEME photos? Where's the critique of the bad grammar. I feel duped!
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Post by RobboAKAscooby »

LibertyCabbage wrote:
RobboAKAscooby wrote:Now if I was clever I would use the extra time I'll have to concentrate on improving Flying Tigers or practicing my drawing, but there's another idea that's been rattling around inside my head so I may give into temptation on that - I can if I'm motivated get four pages a week done so 2 pages per comic could be doable.
Another option I've seen is you could offer "bonus updates" as an incentive for readers to vote for your comic so many times, or donate a certain amount of money, or give you so many followers on Twitter, or whatever.
Well I don't plan on doing anything new until about May, so I do have time to think about all the options.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

Phact0rri wrote:wait... this is not how internet arguments are supposed to end... where's the person screaming and saying that they are never go on the internet again? Where's the youtube videos and MEME photos? Where's the critique of the bad grammar. I feel duped!
We have left the passionate, "abstract expressionism" phase of webcomics and entered new, cool and wimpy "Pop art" phase.

Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Post by Terotrous »

A few days after my comic's 8th anniversary, the first strip of Comic Creatorz that I ever wrote finally went live today. It's been an absurdly long road to get here.

If you want to read it make sure you start with the preceding comic.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.

Turi
Regular Poster

Post by Turi »

Phact0rri wrote:wait... this is not how internet arguments are supposed to end... where's the person screaming and saying that they are never go on the internet again? Where's the youtube videos and MEME photos? Where's the critique of the bad grammar. I feel duped!
You may want to steer clear of the adult fan community for My Little Pony, then. I've seen perfectly good flame wars between complete strangers deteriorate into mutual understanding and even... friendship!

Phact0rri

Post by Phact0rri »

Turi wrote:
You may want to steer clear of the adult fan community for My Little Pony, then. I've seen perfectly good flame wars between complete strangers deteriorate into mutual understanding and even... friendship!
Friendship... on the internet? I think you went to some urban legend website.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

Cope
Incompetent Monster

Where's my inspiration switch?

Post by Cope »

Turi wrote:You may want to steer clear of the adult fan community for My Little Pony, then. I've seen perfectly good flame wars between complete strangers deteriorate into mutual understanding and even... friendship!
...and then there was the the whole Derpy Hooves shitstorm.

Anyway. My comic. I SUCK AT UPDATING IT.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

Turi
Regular Poster

Post by Turi »

And even that shit storm actually turned into understanding for a lot of people, once the details were clear. Not all, though. But quite a lot, considering that it is THE INTERNET.

robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Post by robotthepirate »

I'm using the voting thing to push me further on my update schedule. I'm doing a quick newspaper-esc comic for a voting incentive every month and if I reach my vote target for each month I have to make an extra comic update the next month, which means that unless something very odd happens I'm going to be updating every week in April which is scary since my buffer ran out yesterday. Also I only have 6 days to think something funny for the incentive, then draw it.
Image Image Image Image

Phact0rri

Post by Phact0rri »

a week is quite a bit of time to draw panels. You just got to use your time more effectively. unless your putting those nine grid pages out. its probably less than a panel a day! You can do eeeeet!

heh. says the person who hasn't drawn a comic in over a year...

robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Post by robotthepirate »

Phact0rri wrote:a week is quite a bit of time to draw panels. You just got to use your time more effectively. unless your putting those nine grid pages out. its probably less than a panel a day! You can do eeeeet!

heh. says the person who hasn't drawn a comic in over a year...
I'm getting quicker, I should be able to do it. Finished drawing everything for april today.

My biggest bugbear has been the two pages set in a lift/elevator. That means all 6 characters i've brought along on this adventure have to be squashed into each panel even if they're not really doing anything. But its ok because things about to get exciting story wise which will be great for my readers but a lot of work for me.
Image Image Image Image

RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Post by RobboAKAscooby »

Slowly getting back up to date on Flying Tigers, if I can get four pages done this week and four next week I'll be back up to date with enough time to fix some stuff on the site ready for Webcomic Above You 7.

But I must say it's a pain drawing every frame on it's own A4 sheet (or at most 2 frames per sheet), I know it's allowing me to get more detail and less "talking head syndrome" but urgh I've got 20 frames to do this week.

Plus side I've been doing some minor anatomy tweeks to make the girls look less anorexic, working on my line variance and the actual story starts now!
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff

Mastermind
Regular Poster

Post by Mastermind »

My comic has been completely paralyzed due to mass effect 3

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

I'm drawing stuff and putting it on the web.

robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Post by robotthepirate »

Currently training myself to draw using my graphics tablet.

I want to get better at drawing anatomically correct people so have launched a devious scheme. I'm going to make a rubbishy superhero comic! I'm not bothered about originality, the quality of the script or anything like that. I probably wont even publish it. It's just an excuse for me to draw the same 8 people over and over again until I reach a decent level of consistency.

Before that however I need to put in a fair bit of practise in order to get OKish and rather than use up the worlds forrests in the process I thought I'd learn to use my tablet after years of ignoring it. Need to settle on a style, and design the characters too.

And all this isn't allowed to take up a lot of my free time, otherwise I'll fall behind on RTP.
Image Image Image Image

Jops
Cartoon Hero

Post by Jops »

Mastermind wrote:My comic has been completely paralyzed due to mass effect 3
I know the feeling. Been there too... tho I'm already out of that tunnel.
Jops

Image Image

IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Post by IVstudios »

robotthepirate wrote: And all this isn't allowed to take up a lot of my free time, otherwise I'll fall behind on RTP.
Will you be using your tablet for RTP too?

If nothing else it'll help with your production time. With the circular Select tool and "Stroke" options, you should be able to crack a page out in a half hour or so. :wink: