How are you doing, comic-wise?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Fading Aura
Regular Poster

Coping with Anger

Post by Fading Aura »

Cope wrote:You can't see it, but my face is contorted in rage right now.
Cope Angry.jpg
Cope Angry.jpg (13.64 KiB) Viewed 1051 times

Cope
Incompetent Monster

I see EVERYTHING.

Post by Cope »

Yeah, that's pretty accurate.

ALSO I SAW THE PUN YOU MADE IN THE SUBJECT LINE DON'T THINK I DIDN'T
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Re: How are you doing, comic-wise?

Post by McDuffies »

LibertyCabbage wrote:Yeah, but it seems too idealistic to me. In a perfect world, maybe you'd have a lot of webcartoonists doing stuff like Forbidden Zone and David Lynch's movies, but actually you end up with very, very few even attempting it. And it doesn't seem pragmatic to say, "Everybody's a bad creator for not being like David Lynch." I'd rather try to be more relevant by suggesting a creator aims for more originality while still being familiar enough to be comfortable for them.
If you said "Every creator should have style similar to David Lynch's", that would definitely be wrong.
However if you said "Every creator should have the kind of artistic integrity that David Lynch has", that would be very close to truth.
Lynch, of course, had the benefit of the fact that his second film was a considerable success. Though I don't think that he would have acted different even if he was not successful. Maybe he's make less movies. We at webcomics have benefit of not having to think about financial side of thing. We very seldom use it.

We are taught to believe that creators with integrity and originality are less akin to become successful than opportunists of various kinds, but I seriously doubt that. Graveyard of forgotten art is littered with stories that were commercially minded and patched up from familiar pieces to more or less extent. I suspect that ratio of successful/unsuccessful works is pretty much the same on every level of originality. But the belief that derivative works have more chance to succeed persists much like any other urban legend.

K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE

Post by K-Dawg »

I think I just made a drug deal with Sortelli regarding comics...

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey

Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Post by Sortelli »

hey listen I think I'm also going to need a sack of oranges are you carrying

K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE

Post by K-Dawg »

Very soon sir, I'm trying to build up a bit of a buffer for that one.

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey

VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Post by VeryCuddlyCornpone »

Update #3 and I think I'm finally back to my pre-hiatus readership stats :)

It feels like when you haven't exercised in a while and have your first workout where you don't feel like shit
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Post by LibertyCabbage »

McDuffies wrote:However if you said "Every creator should have the kind of artistic integrity that David Lynch has", that would be very close to truth.
McDuffies wrote:But the belief that derivative works have more chance to succeed persists much like any other urban legend.
I guess that's where webcomics is at now, and there ain't really much we can do about it besides make original works ourselves and generally encourage others to do so as well. But that ain't such a bad situation, and as I mentioned earlier, the creative freedom the Internet allows makes a lot possible.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"

VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

You got so country in that post, LC.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Printing 8 pages worth of reference pictures. This must be a little like how it is to be a real artist.

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

That is the curse of US historical fiction writers. (no, actually when I was doing kill'er now I was always printing pictures of cars).

VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

McDuffies wrote:That is the curse of US historical fiction writers. (no, actually when I was doing kill'er now I was always printing pictures of cars).
There's never enough reference images and yet always too many.

Stayed up til 3 last night working on sketching the last panel of one page and then the next two full pages. Doesn't sound like much to accomplish for having stayed up that late, but it was a lot of nonstandard poses, and I don't think I got a single facial expression right on the first try, so I had to repeat a lot of work. But I'm really really proud of the way it turned out ;u; It was one of those nights where I had to bring the pages next to my bed when I finally went to sleep so that I could look at them first thing when I woke up in the morning to bask in my own vanity. (Is it vanity if it's about something you drew? Or does that go back to just being normal hubris and pride?)

Hoping I can maintain this momentum. If I can sketch out a fourth page and then start finishing everything, I'll have two weeks worth of updates set to go. It'd almost be like I was a real person :shucks:

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

once, I tried downloading references for everything I might need. that's how I ended on hoarders.

lwk brought this obsession to be informed about everything I write about. two months ago I thought I'd write a small, undemanding project about magic because with magic, everything can fly, right? three months later here I am, reading this book about modern magic, which is completely serious about possibilities of performing working magic spells, and that's about the last thing I'd want to read about in my private time. and I've set the story near Montreal for no particular reason, so now I'm writing dialogues thinking "is this a Canadian sort of thing to say?"
lesson is that I would probablymake the easiest job in the world complicated.

RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Post by RobboAKAscooby »

Yeah, reference pics, my google image search history is a little weird :o
But at the moment I've got to find a good body match for Nol, I did a pic of him yesterday based off a martial artist pose but he came out looking too thin.

I'm currently two weeks ahead on the art for Flying Tigers and about 12 weeks off finishing the first story arc (which would've taken a whole year in comic form D: ), hopefully I can keep it up at this buffer.

And, I have a rough idea for a Sh!t Happens reboot, along the lines of the more "comical" first version (before the craziness) with a different set of 80s cartoon references/tropes than before. Just a matter of working out specifics... :(
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff

LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Post by LibertyCabbage »

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:You got so country in that post, LC.
Yeah, I just get, like, bored and feel like changing up my style once in a while, especially after I just finished writing a semi-formal review.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"

robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Post by robotthepirate »

RobboAKAscooby wrote:Yeah, reference pics, my google image search history is a little weird :o
Bizarrely (because I can't remember how or why it happened) I switched to using DA for my reference material. I think it's something to do with their being less to trawl through and if I choose an image to base something on it'll hopefully be a little less obvious that I just googled the subject. Of course my final images look nothing like the source (for obvious stylistic *cough* reasons) so it feels less like plagerism.

RTP should be launching again on Sunday. I really should be excited but I only have a 3 1/2 page buffer and I'm struggling to sit down and get on with it. There is the slight consideration that I'm busy being about to move house but mostly I'm just feeling disconnected from the comic. I like my audience to experience the comic at the same time I do but that means working without a buffer which just isn't a good idea.

Meh, I'm probably just making excuses. I'll start the comic on Sunday and force myself to work harder. On the plus side the comics about to get creepy in a good way.
Image Image Image Image

IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Post by IVstudios »

The latest thing in the LiveDraws is people have been using Sketchup to create 3d models of environments for helping with panel layouts. So I jumped on the bandwagon and did a layout of Kame and Claire's apartment:

And Satsan Burger

robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Post by robotthepirate »

Whoa, that all seems very complicated. I've heard of people using similar things. Is it time consuming or not?
Image Image Image Image

VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Satsan Burger sounds like a Japanese Burger King.

That's neat, I've been using my Sims game for the same purpose, but Sketchup probably runs faster and has more customizability, I'd assume.

I really want to buy some more instructional books, but I've made myself promise not to do that until I'm making money again. My bank account has become a toilet whose tank doesn't refill when you flush it.

IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Post by IVstudios »

robotthepirate wrote:Whoa, that all seems very complicated. I've heard of people using similar things. Is it time consuming or not?
Both layouts took about 4 - 6 hours each. It's actually not to complicated, the program is a bit clunky but once you get use to it, it's easy enough to use. I advise watching a few of the tutorial videos though.
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Satsan Burger sounds like a Japanese Burger King.

That's neat, I've been using my Sims game for the same purpose, but Sketchup probably runs faster and has more customizability, I'd assume.
Ah, that should have been "Satan" Burger. Image

It's more customizable that the Sims, if you have the patience to make everything from scratch (I don't, I imported all the furniture and stuff). For simple layouts the Sims might actually be easier to use though.