CG Forums Future - How can we help it?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Re: P.S. I'm sick of it too.

Post by robotthepirate »

Does the banner upload do anything then?

Is there a way of controlling what ads I get on my page, because it's kind of killing the PG mood. (I've set up the site's rating)
Image Image Image Image

Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Those lazy bastards.

Post by Mo »

robotthepirate wrote:Does the banner upload do anything then?
It gives the banner approval people something to do.

Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Re: Those lazy bastards.

Post by Phact0rri »

Mo wrote:
Do we still have Banner Approval People? I remember the Chan and Pog approvals use to go through Keffs.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

Cope
Incompetent Monster

I'll let you in on a little secret...

Post by Cope »

(psst! Phact! Mo is one of the banner approval people. Also Joel Fagin, but he hasn't been around in yonks.)
486x60 banners will be displayed with your comic's entry on the Guide...but that's about it.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

btw I still don't know to this day what a Tan is. As in GenT

Post by Mo »

Phact0rri wrote:
Mo wrote:
Do we still have Banner Approval People? I remember the Chan and Pog approvals use to go through Keffs.
(psst! Phact! Mo is one of the banner approval people. Also Joel Fagin, but he hasn't been around in yonks.)
What Cope said.

The banners actually just happen to go through the same directory where pogs and chans are approved, so since the three of us had access to it anyway we approved banners too - mostly a side effect really.

Corgan_dane
Cartoon Hero

Re: CG Forums Future - How can we help it?

Post by Corgan_dane »

Well, I'm going to try to be around more again. Not that doing so will magically bring CG and the forums back to life, but it's a start, maybe? Sorta?

I think the supposed downfall of the forums (and CG in general) is simply time.

Factors to the current situation (as I see it):

1.) The site design looks old fashioned. It needs a complete overhaul to look like it wasn't made over 5 years ago.
2.) The batch of folks that were around back in my time (we walked uphills backwards both ways to update...in the snow!) around here were a lot of college-age people with extra time on their hands. They grew up and filled their time with real-life things, and an equally active new batch didn't swoop in.
3.) Social media emerged, taking time away from people's random-internet-browsing time, and replacing it with look-what-aunt-Marge-is-doing time.
4.) Webcomics just aren't the new hotness anymore. Still cool? Yes. Everyone dying to make/read them? Not as much.

For me, leaving was due to two things: burnout from pushing myself and increased real-life time constraints. The reason I started my own site was because I had too many comics, each with their own comicgen site and wanted to consolidate. Also, I get some personal zen from hand-coding my (admittedly crappy, old-school) html, so that was a factor. Plus, it's so much easier to tell someone boneheadcomics.com than to write out my comicgen addresses (all 5 or so) on the back of a receipt that they'll forget about later.

I'd love to see this place back to the level it was during the good old days part 2 (When I started, they were already talking about the good old days, so I'm assuming I was here in the silver age, not the gold. :wink: ) I'm in, and I'm going to try to be around. The problem is, I have no time to jam. I have to make special time just to make my own comics.

Anyway, I applaud the efforts at thinking through the problems in this thread. I don't have answers, but I'll help where I can. Hell, if you can talk the Crosby's into hiring me to run around the forum like a madman destroying Spam posts part-time for at least minimum wage, I'm game. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Maybe the place we should have the war with is Keenspot? Flood their forums! FIGHT THE MAN! YEAH! FREEDOM! :ick:

Corgan_dane
Cartoon Hero

Post by Corgan_dane »

Corgan_dane wrote:Maybe the place we should have the war with is Keenspot? Flood their forums! FIGHT THE MAN! YEAH! FREEDOM! :ick:
Just found the thread where this was already attempted...great work, there, but just no response... :(

I'm thinking if you were going to do it, you'd need to hit up someone like DD or SpiderForest. I don't think the Keenspot forums have enough artists in it to respond, and those that might be there are busy making their comics as a business.

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

We are now really lazy.
We might have recruited a few artists from 'Spot whom we know... well either that or taunt B****C*****.

Cope
Incompetent Monster

B**** C***** is such a *****.

Post by Cope »

McDuffies wrote:B****C*****.
For a second there, i thought you were being really profane.

...well, I guess you were, kind of.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

Brockway
Dirty Old Man

Post by Brockway »

Holy crap. I know the community thing is a group effort, but life seems to get more annoying the older you get. We can't expect Mo, yeahduff, and McDuffies to do everything forever. Team stuff is done by the people who are there. God, it was nearly 10 years ago when I started here. Its sad, but you people need to start your own groups. As transient as things are, it still sticks with you.
Sharp Hall. - Ya know... don't even go there. Very NSFW

Toxic
Faster Pussycat

Post by Toxic »

Oh golly, almost ten years! We should have a black tie gala dinner to celebrate.
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

Brockway
Dirty Old Man

Post by Brockway »

That would be awesome. And it would be a reason to drag all the Cornstalker people back, though my terriblariousness seems to doubt their return.
Sharp Hall. - Ya know... don't even go there. Very NSFW

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

I passed a ten year mark some time ago. It was a great, turbulent decade.

Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Post by Terotrous »

I think the number one thing we need to do is find a way to kill off the spammers.

Also wow I've almost been here for 10 years too. Crazy.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.