micheal jacksons dead

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Re: micheal jacksons dead

Post by Jim North »

Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: micheal jacksons dead

Post by McDuffies »

Dracomax wrote: and the posts didn't start feeling maliceful to me until after Yeahduff posted his..vehemenant... displeasure over the intrusion of others into the thread.
Duff is being dramatic on purpose. When someone says "I'll kill you all" on internet, it's supposed to be taken with some tongue-in-cheek.

User avatar
Cope
Incompetent Monster
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Masked man of mystery
Contact:

Why did Michael turn into a spaceship? WHY?!

Post by Cope »

That alien abduction story sounds almost like it could be one of Jackson's own movie scripts.

Wait, what am I saying? It's nowhere near weird enough.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

User avatar
Risky
69
Posts: 3834
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 8:41 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: micheal jacksons dead

Post by Risky »

... is anyone else watching the memorial?

I can't watch the screen since I'm supposed to be working, but I refer to this page occasionally as I listen and I find it useful. I thought Brian Mayer was KD Lang until I found this.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/ ... -memorial/

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Re: micheal jacksons dead

Post by Killbert-Robby »

Risky wrote:... is anyone else watching the memorial?

I can't watch the screen since I'm supposed to be working, but I refer to this page occasionally as I listen and I find it useful. I thought Brian Mayer was KD Lang until I found this.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/ ... -memorial/
My roommate watches MJ news all day every day. Jesus christ guy, put on some cartoons.
Image

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Re: micheal jacksons dead

Post by Phact0rri »

last night hollywood blvd was insane. I was going to the club, and between Mccalden and Los Palmas was a fight to get through. I do not even want to go anywhere near north hollywood today.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

User avatar
Risky
69
Posts: 3834
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 8:41 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: micheal jacksons dead

Post by Risky »

Killbert-Robby wrote:
Risky wrote:... is anyone else watching the memorial?

I can't watch the screen since I'm supposed to be working, but I refer to this page occasionally as I listen and I find it useful. I thought Brian Mayer was KD Lang until I found this.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/ ... -memorial/
My roommate watches MJ news all day every day. Jesus christ guy, put on some cartoons.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_P9LHzzHY0

Well, that was the jackson 5 cartoon but guess someone deleted it.
Last edited by Risky on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
Posts: 9158
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
Contact:

Re: micheal jacksons dead

Post by Yeahduff »

If you haven't figured it out, this wasn't about Michael Jackson.

Maybe I overreacted, but the whole caring-about-someone-who-appeared-in-cheaply-made-adverts-for-cheaply-made-products-over-Michael-Jackson thing came off as contrarian bullshit, at best. The fact that most of you honestly think Jackson is gonna be forgotten is about the perfect indication that I just don't belong here anymore.
Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Re: micheal jacksons dead

Post by Killbert-Robby »

Yeahduff wrote:If you haven't figured it out, this wasn't about Michael Jackson.

Maybe I overreacted, but the whole caring-about-someone-who-appeared-in-cheaply-made-adverts-for-cheaply-made-products-over-Michael-Jackson thing came off as contrarian bullshit, at best. The fact that most of you honestly think Jackson is gonna be forgotten is about the perfect indication that I just don't belong here anymore.
Jackson who?
Image

User avatar
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3269
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:10 am
Location: I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Contact:

Re: micheal jacksons dead

Post by Laemkral »

Yeahduff wrote:If you haven't figured it out, this wasn't about Michael Jackson.

Maybe I overreacted, but the whole caring-about-someone-who-appeared-in-cheaply-made-adverts-for-cheaply-made-products-over-Michael-Jackson thing came off as contrarian bullshit, at best. The fact that most of you honestly think Jackson is gonna be forgotten is about the perfect indication that I just don't belong here anymore.
Forgotten? Impossible. He's Michael Jackson. The fact that there's still so much media attention surrounding his death is testament to the fact that while he may fade into the background with time, he'll still be there lurking and waiting. I wish a comparison could be done between the media coverage MJ is getting, and the coverage Anna Nicole Smith got. I'm curious to see who's winning.
Avatar courtesy of Fading Aura.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: micheal jacksons dead

Post by McDuffies »

Maybe I overreacted, but the whole caring-about-someone-who-appeared-in-cheaply-made-adverts-for-cheaply-made-products-over-Michael-Jackson thing came off as contrarian bullshit, at best. The fact that most of you honestly think Jackson is gonna be forgotten is about the perfect indication that I just don't belong here anymore.
Most? It's like three or four very loud people.
And cut the drama. Since when do you want to belong anyway?
caring-about-someone-who-appeared-in-cheaply-made-adverts-for-cheaply-made-products-over-Michael-Jackson
I watched some adverts by that shouting guy and I came to conclusion that, no offense to Dracomax, but I can't figure out what his definition of "entertaining" is; It's certainly not along the lines of "something you enjoy watching". That add guy is annoying, agressive, his rants are overly long and repetitive, and while watching him you feel like someone's cramming crap down your throat. I don't know if he tested all those products beforehand, but he certainly doesn't sound the least bit honest when he's talking about them, sounds more like he's reading cue cards. I hate any add that shouts at you and any telemarketer that poorly acts enthusiastic over some trivial commodity. If that person is influential, then it's a bad influence which I wish he could have taken back with him.
Forgotten? Impossible. He's Michael Jackson. The fact that there's still so much media attention surrounding his death is testament to the fact that while he may fade into the background with time, he'll still be there lurking and waiting. I wish a comparison could be done between the media coverage MJ is getting, and the coverage Anna Nicole Smith got. I'm curious to see who's winning.
It's absurd that I'm not even a major MJ fan, I like some of his songs, but the only album I listened in entirety was "Dangerous" when I was 12. I just think that while liking him or not is a personal preference, his importance in music is a cold, hard fact.
Thing is, after first sexual allegations, his popularity in USA started declining, while in the rest of the world in remained strong, and his last two albums weren't that big in USA, but were still huge abroad. This is often attributed to the barrage of extremely negative media coverage which was significantly lesser outside of USA, so naturally it has driven away less listeners than in USA. I was confused by people here claiming something like that he hasn't been popular since early 90ies, but now I think that due to media reporting on him only in negative light, people may have been sheltered from his actual later musical work, like the fact that Invincible was a huge seller despite almost no promotion, successful shows in Asia, and such.
Actually I think that it tells something when it's South Park guys that show compassion in portrayal of him.
A note about his actual work, I got to watch some of his live shows on tv a few weeks ago, and I noticed how his mannerisms and gestures were calculated to conduct crowd's attention. I guess you're entertainer or not, depending on him much command you have over the crowd. Everyone knows that I appreciate the talent of writing deep lyrics and complex music, but making crowd gasp with just a simple, well-timed snap of fingers, is a different kind of talent alltogether.

User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
Posts: 9158
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
Contact:

Re: micheal jacksons dead

Post by Yeahduff »

McDuffies wrote:
Maybe I overreacted, but the whole caring-about-someone-who-appeared-in-cheaply-made-adverts-for-cheaply-made-products-over-Michael-Jackson thing came off as contrarian bullshit, at best. The fact that most of you honestly think Jackson is gonna be forgotten is about the perfect indication that I just don't belong here anymore.
Most? It's like three or four very loud people.
And cut the drama. Since when do you want to belong anyway?
Fair enough. Just something in the air the past year or two and it's starting to get to me. And three or four people is a lot these days.
McDuffies wrote:
caring-about-someone-who-appeared-in-cheaply-made-adverts-for-cheaply-made-products-over-Michael-Jackson
I watched some adverts by that shouting guy and I came to conclusion that, no offense to Dracomax, but I can't figure out what his definition of "entertaining" is; It's certainly not along the lines of "something you enjoy watching". That add guy is annoying, agressive, his rants are overly long and repetitive, and while watching him you feel like someone's cramming crap down your throat. I don't know if he tested all those products beforehand, but he certainly doesn't sound the least bit honest when he's talking about them, sounds more like he's reading cue cards. I hate any add that shouts at you and any telemarketer that poorly acts enthusiastic over some trivial commodity. If that person is influential, then it's a bad influence which I wish he could have taken back with him.
Yeah, that's what I meant by "at best." A sincere adoration for this guy requires a mindset I want no part of.
Forgotten? Impossible. He's Michael Jackson. The fact that there's still so much media attention surrounding his death is testament to the fact that while he may fade into the background with time, he'll still be there lurking and waiting. I wish a comparison could be done between the media coverage MJ is getting, and the coverage Anna Nicole Smith got. I'm curious to see who's winning.
Michael Jackson, no contest. A better comparison would be Princess Di. Complete worldwide saturation, we're talking here. It's unfortunate Prince isn't gonna get this kinda love, but I'm sure he appreciates living longer.
Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

User avatar
Risky
69
Posts: 3834
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 8:41 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: micheal jacksons dead

Post by Risky »

Yeahduff wrote: It's unfortunate Prince isn't gonna get this kinda love, but I'm sure he appreciates living longer.
Plus he can always tell himself that MJ's kids are named after him.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: micheal jacksons dead

Post by McDuffies »

Prince's eventuall death is probably gonna be recorded like, say, Johnny Cash's. No sensation, but then dozens of great musicians start making mourning songs and all.

User avatar
Evil Jamie!
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1408
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:19 am
Location: Tasmania

Re: micheal jacksons dead

Post by Evil Jamie! »

I miss Johnny Cash.
Image

User avatar
Ahaugen
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2291
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:44 am
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: micheal jacksons dead

Post by Ahaugen »

Evil Jamie! wrote:I miss Johnny Cash.
We all do
Read The Times-Picayune
Comic Genesis' daily source for news since 2009

A Lamestream Media Company

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: micheal jacksons dead

Post by McDuffies »

I miss Chriss Cornell (he dies in late 90ies and was replaced with a robot lookalike).

User avatar
Spaceprincess
Regular Poster
Posts: 754
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: omicron persi i 8
Contact:

Re: micheal jacksons dead

Post by Spaceprincess »

i just saw a commercial from the historic society of America offering limited edition lithographs of micheal. if you act now they"ll throw in a second litho free. god bless the vultures.

Post Reply