Movies: What makes and impact with you?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Post Reply
User avatar
Evil Jamie!
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1408
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:19 am
Location: Tasmania

Post by Evil Jamie! »

Digital War wrote:Transformers the Movie. I always feel so uplifted when Prime single handedly turns the tide against the Decepticon attack force, then feel sorrow at Primes death.
A masterpiece of its time.
Agreed.
Image

User avatar
Hank
Regular Poster
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 1:46 pm
Location: here.
Contact:

Post by Hank »

Evil Jamie! wrote:
Digital War wrote:Transformers the Movie. I always feel so uplifted when Prime single handedly turns the tide against the Decepticon attack force, then feel sorrow at Primes death.
A masterpiece of its time.
Agreed.
I submit to you that I too concur.

User avatar
ShineDog
Regular Poster
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:56 am
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

Post by ShineDog »

raaawwwk!

Im NOT the only person to have seen and loved Das Boot.

Tell me you saw the origional. not the Dub.

Also. watch amelie! Its like a hug in movie form!
Jaw droppingly large strawberry desserts.

User avatar
Bright spark
Regular Poster
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:19 am
Location: Perth, Australia
Contact:

Post by Bright spark »

MissAlaina wrote:I loved the music in LotR and The Pianist. Music's definitely important in a movie.
In terms of music amazingly fitting a moment in a film, in Almost Famous, when they all sing "tiny Dancer". Man, I love that song.
Go on, check it out


http://brightspark.keenspace.com- is now dead, but drop by and pay your respects.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~misjed/- my sisters comic, be nice to her and she'll be nice to me.

User avatar
Sippan
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:54 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by Sippan »

Oh, and let's not forget Cube! One of the best movies I've seen. Too bad the sequel sucked MAJOR ass.
Image

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

Er...

The movies I like best are science fiction ones. Those are the ones I leave the theater saying "Wow, did you see that?! How cool was it when..." etcetera.

Movies that "touch" me? Bah. Men who cry are wusses. Now that I've said the generally required disclaimer, Shindler's List and Mr. Holland's Opus were the most touching movies I've ever watched. Shindler's list for the humanity of it; Mr. Holland's Opus because the music was part of the story, and the music was overpowering.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Sippan
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:54 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by Sippan »

Speaking of which.

Movies that make me cry, and therefore should be watched by everyone:

A Perfect World, Titanic, Braveheart, Dancer in the Dark, Bambi, and Requiem for a Dream, if I'm in the mood for crying already.
Image

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

I shot bambi's mum!

She was very tasty too.

User avatar
ShineDog
Regular Poster
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:56 am
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

Post by ShineDog »

i cry at *everything*


<- big ponce
Jaw droppingly large strawberry desserts.

User avatar
Brockway
Dirty Old Man
Posts: 3046
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:57 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by Brockway »

I can't think of any movies that made me cry... but Where the Red Fern Grows did... :cry: Those poor dogs!!! Dan and Anne!! Stay away from the mountain lion!!!

*busts into tears*
Image
Sharp Hall. - Ya know... don't even go there. Very NSFW

User avatar
Chaos Cricket
Regular Poster
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:35 am
Location: State of Delusion
Contact:

Post by Chaos Cricket »

I don't cry at movies, though Return of the King had me choking back the tears a few times, I'll admit.

As for other movies that moved me...well, the Cowboy Bebop movie kinda does (the song at the end really gets me...rather like the song at the very end of the series, "Blue"). Chasing Amy, when Holden and Alyssa get to share a "moment" at the end of the flick.

Really, music more than movies tend to strike a chord with me. Don't get me wrong--I love movies, but music always has more power for me. There are about a dozen or two dozen songs that I can hear and always get a lump in my throat.
~Chuck
Image
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing."
~Kingsley Amis

User avatar
Kensou X
Regular Poster
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:41 pm
Location: San Francisco (Monterey atm), CA
Contact:

Post by Kensou X »

You know I'm really into movies and have quite an extensive collection and so I feel as if I should have something to say but I can't think of a movie that really touched me. Either that or I'm just really blanking something fierce. I need to spend a week or two just watching all my movies again when I get home.
The Fan: Action, Drama, Suspence...All at a comfortable room temperature. Yeah, it's still there. I'm as shocked as you are.

Image

El doctor Tran es mas chingon en forma de quesadilla.

User avatar
Cheebs
Regular Poster
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:44 am
Location: Somewhere out there...
Contact:

Post by Cheebs »

"What Dreams May Come" turns me into an even bigger weepy sap than normal. Beautiful, beautiful movie... Saw it first on the Sci-Fi Channel, and knew I had to get it.

But of course, my favorite movie is "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". Not all that moving, but fun. Daffy Duck and Donald Duck in one movie? YES. It also fit right in with my weird little girl-ness. Forget being a princess, I wanted to be a detective like Eddie Valiant, because private eyes kick ass. That, and you get the neat coat and hat.
Constant Flux: A semi-serious tale about trying to kick Fate in the head. Updates Sundays.

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

Digital War wrote:I shot bambi's mum!

She was very tasty too.
I'd have expected that if you'd planned to eat her, she'd have died while being roasted alive over an open fire. Or maybe gutted while hogtied, or the skin peeled off her body like a banana. Eyes pecked out by buzzards while her feet were shaved and dipped in salt brine. Something like that.

You just shot her? Wow, War must be getting unimaginitive.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Luprand
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:33 pm
Location: Cougar country
Contact:

Post by Luprand »

Think about how long ago that was, though. By now he'll have much more creative deer-killing ideas.

--Sij
Torio - A cartoonist without a plot.
NeTrek and other low-quality scribbles.

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

rkolter wrote:
Digital War wrote:I shot bambi's mum!

She was very tasty too.
I'd have expected that if you'd planned to eat her, she'd have died while being roasted alive over an open fire. Or maybe gutted while hogtied, or the skin peeled off her body like a banana. Eyes pecked out by buzzards while her feet were shaved and dipped in salt brine. Something like that.

You just shot her? Wow, War must be getting unimaginitive.
I never said I shot to kill.

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

Digital War wrote:
rkolter wrote:
Digital War wrote:I shot bambi's mum!

She was very tasty too.
I'd have expected that if you'd planned to eat her, she'd have died while being roasted alive over an open fire. Or maybe gutted while hogtied, or the skin peeled off her body like a banana. Eyes pecked out by buzzards while her feet were shaved and dipped in salt brine. Something like that.

You just shot her? Wow, War must be getting unimaginitive.
I never said I shot to kill.
Heh... you didn't, at that. Uhm, nevermind then. I'm just going to stand over here. Behind Warren. He's looking mighty plump and juicy today...
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

Yeah, he should really cut back on those cats.

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

TOXIC AVENGER! wrote:Fight Club: The ultimate mind fuck movie
HELLO??? THE USUAL SUSPECTS, ANYONE???!!!

User avatar
DEVO-Bot
Regular Poster
Posts: 873
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:41 pm
Location: College, CA
Contact:

Post by DEVO-Bot »

Mr.Bob wrote:
TOXIC AVENGER! wrote:Fight Club: The ultimate mind fuck movie
HELLO??? THE USUAL SUSPECTS, ANYONE???!!!
If by "Fight Club" and "The Usual Suspects" you mean "Eraserhead", then yes, the ultimate mind-fuck movie.
<KensouX> DEVO-Bot spouts out the mad phrases, tweekin' your brain harder than 35 cocaine cases.
Image

Now Alive Again

Post Reply