A popular pitchman. His commercials are very recognizable because of his distinct voice, which is permanently on 11. Yell to sell, baby!McDuffies wrote:Who's Billy Mays?Dracomax wrote:YEAH> as someone so much more awesome and important than Micheal Jackson, Billy Mays deserves his own thread.Yeahduff wrote:This is not the Billy Mays thread. I will fucking kill people.
micheal jacksons dead
- IVstudios
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3660
- Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
- Location: My little office
- Contact:
Re: micheal jacksons dead
- Slayerx9999
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 38
- Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:11 am
- Location: Where ever.
- Contact:
Re: micheal jacksons dead
He's not really dead, he's just sleeping very soundly.
The autopsy probably hurt a lot.
The autopsy probably hurt a lot.
I'm on the watchlist.
- Yeahduff
- Resident Stoic (Moderator)
- Posts: 9158
- Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
- Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
- Contact:
Re: micheal jacksons dead
Nobody.McDuffies wrote:Who's Billy Mays?
- Yeahduff
- Resident Stoic (Moderator)
- Posts: 9158
- Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
- Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
- Contact:
Re: micheal jacksons dead
If there's a consolation, at least it's OK to like his music again. Don't Stop Till You Get Enough is bigger than any punchline.
- Jim North
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6659
- Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
- Location: The Omnipresent Here
- Contact:
Re: micheal jacksons dead
I didn't know Billy Mays made music! Man, that fellah was talented in so many ways.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
- BrownEyedCat
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1848
- Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:24 pm
- Location: Lurking in the Corners
- Contact:
Re: micheal jacksons dead
Heart, I've been wondering this for a while, and now I really have to ask...Heart wrote:Thriller wasn't Vincent Price's first musical appearance, he guested on Alice Cooper's "Welcome to my Nightmare" album seven years before that. Now that I think about it, Price and Cooper are such a natural pairing that I'm surprised they only collaborated once.
He also took a 75% pay cut to appear as a regular on The Hilarious House of Frightenstein, a children's show which was never guaranteed to air outside of Hamilton, Ontario. I'd say that fame and influence weren't really necessary to work with Vincent Price.BrownEyedCat wrote:Then again, I wasn't being 100% serious, either. I mean, Vincent Price also lent his voice to Scooby Doo (which oddly only makes me love him more. Yeah, I'm a fangirl). So dismiss away!
...Are ...are you my evil twin?
- Jim North
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6659
- Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
- Location: The Omnipresent Here
- Contact:
Re: micheal jacksons dead
ARGH! My vital organs!Yeahduff wrote:*murders Jim North*
At least . . . I'll get . . . to see Billy Mays again . . .
*die*
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
Re: micheal jacksons dead
Oh. Doesn't sound very endearing.IVstudios wrote:A popular pitchman. His commercials are very recognizable because of his distinct voice, which is permanently on 11. Yell to sell, baby!
- Jim North
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6659
- Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
- Location: The Omnipresent Here
- Contact:
Re: micheal jacksons dead
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
- Dracomax
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:13 pm
- Location: in a defective ficional universe
- Contact:
Re: micheal jacksons dead
actually, He was one of the few paid programming stars who could make a half hour advertisement interesting and/or fun to watch. Also, He only did products that were what the claimed to be, so he had that on others to.McDuffies wrote:Oh. Doesn't sound very endearing.IVstudios wrote:A popular pitchman. His commercials are very recognizable because of his distinct voice, which is permanently on 11. Yell to sell, baby!
As for Yeahduff-I appreciate that you and many others are hurting with the passing of "the micheal". please understand that not everybody cares as much as you, and with the sheer number of celebrities that have died in the past week(neot yet mentioned-Ed McMahon, Farah Fawcett) there is bound to be some bleed over. most people would rather just have 1 thread than 4, as evidenced by the fact that this was the only thread opened, when there are people who obviously want to talk about billy mays.
THat being said, I am far more interested in the reaction to Micheal jackson's death than the death itself.



You and TRI are the crazy mad ones.~Cope
Give a man a fire, keep him warm for a day; set a man on fire, keep him warm for life.~unknown
- Yeahduff
- Resident Stoic (Moderator)
- Posts: 9158
- Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
- Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
- Contact:
Re: micheal jacksons dead
I assure you the one thing this board is not suffering from is an overabundance of threads. And no wonder no one wants to post here: we'd rather talk about some dude who'd yell at you about some useless piece of crap at three in the morning than perhaps the greatest performer of the 20th century.
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Re: micheal jacksons dead
The whole world, even little camps of indigenous people hidden away in the rainforest, are talking about MJ all day every day since he died, I think if 5 odd people talk about someone else who died, it's not the end of the world.Yeahduff wrote:I assure you the one thing this board is not suffering from is an overabundance of threads. And no wonder no one wants to post here: we'd rather talk about some dude who'd yell at you about some useless piece of crap at three in the morning than perhaps the greatest performer of the 20th century.

- VeryCuddlyCornpone
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3245
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
- Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
- Contact:
Re: micheal jacksons dead
Yeahduff wrote:I assure you the one thing this board is not suffering from is an overabundance of threads. And no wonder no one wants to post here: we'd rather talk about some dude who'd yell at you about some useless piece of crap at three in the morning than perhaps the greatest performer of the 20th century.
And not to sound insensitive, but MMV on your second sentence. Some people didn't like Michael Jackson, some people didn't like Billy Mays. Some people liked both. They were both pioneers in their given fields, as fans of either will attest. I agree that they're not close to each other on the fame spectrum or in terms of how much of an impact they had on people, but the two deaths were close enough (in terms of that they were within a week of each other) so a little bit of crossover in a thread about one of them isn't too suprising.
Sorry, Yeahduff. Hopefully I didn't come accross like an ass. It's clear that you were a big fan of MJ's. I hope you feel better soon.
- Corgan_dane
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1899
- Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:12 pm
- Contact:
Re: micheal jacksons dead
It's amazing how as soon as you die you become a saint...and then I guarantee in a few months a book will come out that will make MJ a child-touching demon again. Howard Hughes was an amazing innovator...but all anyone remembers him for is keeping his urine in jars. Sometimes being great once isn't enough to clear away all the tarnish of later years. That's just how it works.
[Edited because I was grumpy earlier for no reason]
[Edited because I was grumpy earlier for no reason]
Last edited by Corgan_dane on Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Dracomax
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:13 pm
- Location: in a defective ficional universe
- Contact:
Re: micheal jacksons dead
lets get real here. this is actually one of the more on topic threads we've had.
based on a quick count of the posts, we are at:
43 posts about Micheal Jackson, or about 58.90%
5 posts on a slight tangent, or about 5.85%
6 posts complaining about and responding to complaints about being off topic or 8.22%
13 posts about other people dieing, primarily Billy Mays or about 17.80%
and 6 posts that are just plaiin off topic, primarily dealing with Corgan. for another 8.22%
for a total of 73 posts, not counting this one.*
But, in order to aid your grief, I shall attempt to only post on topic here from here on out.
Personally, I think most people are going to forget him, and within a month most people are going to care about him even less than they did a month ago.
*you may get different results depending on what you consider on topic. also, i may have missed a post or two counting. all results are for fun and should not be taken orally. remember, past results are not gauruntees of future performance. do not read statistics if you are pregnant or may become pregnant, as statistics create a greater risk of complications. Do not operate heavy machinery while under the influence of statistics, as statistics may make you drowsy, and cause dificulty with concentration.
based on a quick count of the posts, we are at:
43 posts about Micheal Jackson, or about 58.90%
5 posts on a slight tangent, or about 5.85%
6 posts complaining about and responding to complaints about being off topic or 8.22%
13 posts about other people dieing, primarily Billy Mays or about 17.80%
and 6 posts that are just plaiin off topic, primarily dealing with Corgan. for another 8.22%
for a total of 73 posts, not counting this one.*
But, in order to aid your grief, I shall attempt to only post on topic here from here on out.
Personally, I think most people are going to forget him, and within a month most people are going to care about him even less than they did a month ago.
*you may get different results depending on what you consider on topic. also, i may have missed a post or two counting. all results are for fun and should not be taken orally. remember, past results are not gauruntees of future performance. do not read statistics if you are pregnant or may become pregnant, as statistics create a greater risk of complications. Do not operate heavy machinery while under the influence of statistics, as statistics may make you drowsy, and cause dificulty with concentration.



You and TRI are the crazy mad ones.~Cope
Give a man a fire, keep him warm for a day; set a man on fire, keep him warm for life.~unknown
- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
Re: micheal jacksons dead
Not caring about someone's death is one thing, having a piss-take at him while his body is still warm is another. If there's a thread that is dedicated to memory of him and you think that that thread would be a good place to take a laugh at his expence, then you are the one who's not understanding other people's feelings.As for Yeahduff-I appreciate that you and many others are hurting with the passing of "the micheal". please understand that not everybody cares as much as you,
Now, I guess it's ok if people express doubt over his importance, if anything it's an excuse to remind ourselves of his achievements and rehash things a bit. Even though I can't help but thinking, mourning threads are a standard here, but how many of them have so many posts where the only point is "I don't care he's dead"? Aren't you supposed to just, you know, stay out of the thread, because it's not actually started for purpose of discussing his merits and achievements, it's not the good place or time.
But I'll give you that Jackson was controversial person and that some discussion was bound to happen even over his dead body too. But I'm not going to argue with you over whether Michael Jackson was greater than some telemarketer because you're just claiming that for mockery.
If four or more celebrities died every week, then it'd be in order to say "let's not start a thread every time some famous guy dies", but that's hardly the case. Personally I'd have no problem if other deaths have been discussed in this thread (hardly ever any thread stays on topic) but I'm getting the vibe that someone is trying to derail this thread just to spite those who do mourn Jackson. And that sucks.and with the sheer number of celebrities that have died in the past week(neot yet mentioned-Ed McMahon, Farah Fawcett) there is bound to be some bleed over.
You guys had decades to mock every aspect of his life, from his face to his marriages, wasn't that enough? Is sustaining from it for a bit here really too much to ask?
Didn't you consider the possibility that people simply don't care enough for other deaths to start threads?most people would rather just have 1 thread than 4, as evidenced by the fact that this was the only thread opened, when there are people who obviously want to talk about billy mays.
You don't have to be someone's great fan to be aware of his significance.Sorry, Yeahduff. Hopefully I didn't come accross like an ass. It's clear that you were a big fan of MJ's. I hope you feel better soon.
- Dracomax
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:13 pm
- Location: in a defective ficional universe
- Contact:
Re: micheal jacksons dead
Seems to me most people weren't making fun of anyone any more than usual until people started going overboard in adulation.
As for starting other threads, Yes, I did indeed consider people might not care. However, the fact that they started commenting here implies that they did care a little about Other people dieing. and the posts didn't start feeling maliceful to me until after Yeahduff posted his..vehemenant... displeasure over the intrusion of others into the thread.
As for people posting to say they don't care about Micheal Jackson's death, you would have a point if, in americ, that hadn't become a story whos coverage is close to the coverage we had of Obama winning the election, if not greater.
The reality is, He hadn't done anything new or interesting in music for over 10 years, and while he still has fans, It seems like the coverage is disproportionate to the amount anyone had talked about him for a decade. Of course that's going to result in people making the point of "why are we making such a big deal out of this?"
Every on topic post to the effect of that, or less than glowing remembrance, has, to me, been met with hostility and defensiveness.
Personally, I think the saddest thing about this is the fact that it seems very much like what he had in life, and all sources seem to say he would have hated both sides of the debate. There was a strangely sad and poignant thing on the today show today, a video of him shopping after hours, and just enjoying shopping without having to be the micheal jackson the public fought about. His words were "this is great! I never get to do this!" The man really just wanted a normal life, and he was never able to get it.
Let's stop fighting over him and let him rest in death at least.
As for starting other threads, Yes, I did indeed consider people might not care. However, the fact that they started commenting here implies that they did care a little about Other people dieing. and the posts didn't start feeling maliceful to me until after Yeahduff posted his..vehemenant... displeasure over the intrusion of others into the thread.
As for people posting to say they don't care about Micheal Jackson's death, you would have a point if, in americ, that hadn't become a story whos coverage is close to the coverage we had of Obama winning the election, if not greater.
The reality is, He hadn't done anything new or interesting in music for over 10 years, and while he still has fans, It seems like the coverage is disproportionate to the amount anyone had talked about him for a decade. Of course that's going to result in people making the point of "why are we making such a big deal out of this?"
Every on topic post to the effect of that, or less than glowing remembrance, has, to me, been met with hostility and defensiveness.
Personally, I think the saddest thing about this is the fact that it seems very much like what he had in life, and all sources seem to say he would have hated both sides of the debate. There was a strangely sad and poignant thing on the today show today, a video of him shopping after hours, and just enjoying shopping without having to be the micheal jackson the public fought about. His words were "this is great! I never get to do this!" The man really just wanted a normal life, and he was never able to get it.
Let's stop fighting over him and let him rest in death at least.



You and TRI are the crazy mad ones.~Cope
Give a man a fire, keep him warm for a day; set a man on fire, keep him warm for life.~unknown
- VeryCuddlyCornpone
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3245
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
- Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
- Contact:
Re: micheal jacksons dead
Aw, I know that. I was sad when I heard the news and I don't consider myself to be a big fan, although I do enjoy some of his music. I just meant that when it's someone you care about (for any number of reasons, from personally knowing them to as in this case their music having an impact on your life) it tends to hurt a little more. I can think of several celebrities whose eventual deaths will upset me a great deal, and set me back a little more so than it might to someone else.McDuffies wrote:You don't have to be someone's great fan to be aware of his significance.Sorry, Yeahduff. Hopefully I didn't come accross like an ass. It's clear that you were a big fan of MJ's. I hope you feel better soon.






