Oh dear god, has anything like this happened to you?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

All in good time.

User avatar
Ataraxia
Regular Poster
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:37 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Post by Ataraxia »

mcDuffies wrote:All in good time.
Thank you. I know that with enough hard work and dedication, a tagboard spammer can be mine!
Image
GearHead: A roguelike CRPG with big stompy robots

User avatar
Doll
Regular Poster
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Post by Doll »

mcDuffies wrote: What you do have to worry about is people bashing your comic on various forums and sites, which you eventually find through checking your reffers or googling your comic's name... Those are inevitable and a guy has to get a thick skin to be prepared for them.
Heh, yeah that happened to me. These guys decided that my comic was the worst thing they'd ever seen and proceeded to rip it to shreds. I used the 'kill with kindness' approach and they completely backtracked, obviously surprised that I showed up.

Curiously, I still get a lot of hits from there, even though the topic has long died, which can only mean I got myself a regular visitor from there who was too afraid to say s/he liked it! :lol:
Image

User avatar
Rickford
Irreverent
Posts: 1065
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:52 am
Location: London
Contact:

Post by Rickford »

My writer once stumbled across a forum which had a whole thread of needlessly slagging us off. He put them all in their place and made them feel like the pathetic little children that they were. It was still incredibly disheartening.

As for emails, I have mine plastered on the bottom of the main page, and I've had nothing but positive comments. This guy seems like a real creep, and although I admit the "Ignore the bastard" strategy is probably the smartest move, I also have another idea.

I send <i>him</i> some of my greatest artwork and make <i>him</i> feel ridiculously inadequete, to the point where realises how bad <i>he</i> is, and he curls up into a corner and dies. How's that sound?

Heck, we could get everyone on here to send artwork, as it's fairly obvious that us genners are generally much, much better. ChaosBurnFlame, you wipe the floor with this dude, so I wouldn't really worry about it anyway.

User avatar
Escushion
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2258
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:32 pm
Contact:

Post by Escushion »

The fun thing with my troll is that he's a guy who goes to my school who saw the Coiling Spine book in the library and decided to go online to riff on it, not realizing that the author went to the same college. :D
A man with nothing to offer and nothing to lose.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Escushion wrote:The fun thing with my troll is that he's a guy who goes to my school who saw the Coiling Spine book in the library and decided to go online to riff on it, not realizing that the author went to the same college. :D
Then meet him in a dark alley and beat him up silly. :P

User avatar
Eve Z.
Dead Humanoid Walking
Posts: 983
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:55 am
Location: At the Morgue =P
Contact:

Post by Eve Z. »

maybe that guy had a failed web comic and he was angry of you because you were more popular.he was envious, i'm sure. :D

He's a jerk, anyway. XD
Image
...what goes around, comes around.

User avatar
Wadefade
Regular Poster
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:09 am
Contact:

Post by Wadefade »

Yikes, that is crazy. I haven't had the pleasure (NOT!) of having someone totally flame me. I know some of my coding on my website is rough but I understand that I am only one person and my site is a learning process as with all art.

I hope this guy leaves you alone.

User avatar
Kilre
Regular Poster
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Ketchup! Just a squirt!
Contact:

Post by Kilre »

Burn the unbeliever! I agree with starline, take the maddox approach and let your fans mutilate him.

There's nothing like the satisfaction you get when a**holes get theirs.
"VOOM!" is what a space dreadnought's main cannon should sound like.
Beautiful Skies--Daily dose of sci-fi war.
How I Killed The Gods--Daily.

ChaosBurnFlame
Regular Poster
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:45 pm
Contact:

Post by ChaosBurnFlame »

Some developments:

The e-mails haven't stopped!

What's really hilarious was that he donated!

20 cents to be exact.

In his paypal 'transaction' he claims that has bought him a copy of my graphic novel... and that he will take my graphic novel into the bathroom and use it as toilet paper....

I can't help but laugh at his utter stupidity however... in that his paypal form includes his mailing address.

But really, what can I do about this? Nothing.

So, I thought it was funny at least.

User avatar
Cortland
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1202
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:52 am
Location: Bellevue, Neb.
Contact:

Post by Cortland »

Are you sure it's his real mailing address? I have my doubts. Sounds like a real jerk, though. :ick:
Image Image

ChaosBurnFlame
Regular Poster
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:45 pm
Contact:

Post by ChaosBurnFlame »

Paypal has it as a confirmed address(meaning an address that the guy's bank has listed as valid).

The guy's an idiot.

User avatar
Ataraxia
Regular Poster
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:37 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Post by Ataraxia »

I still say ignore him. Feeding trolls only makes them bigger.
Image
GearHead: A roguelike CRPG with big stompy robots

User avatar
JTorch
Regular Poster
Posts: 520
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:51 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by JTorch »

You totally have to send him a box of murder. Just make sure you label it

"OPEN THIS BOX.

P.S. IT IS NOT MURDER"

or he might get suspicious.
Image
There's a Civilization on my Fork - Updates Sometimes

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Block him.
Though it's tempting not to use his mail in some sinister way.
Perhaps at least signing him up to a bunch of newsletters or something?

User avatar
Rcmonroe
Regular Poster
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:34 pm
Location: Southwest USA
Contact:

Post by Rcmonroe »

The guy sent you money? He's a fan. A social retard of a fan, but a fan nonetheless. He gets off on abusing you, but he reads your comic. Religiously. And he pays you.

I'm jealous. If you don't want him, can I have him?
Image

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

I'd return the funds - he could go to Paypal and claim fraud against you if he can make the case he seriously believed he had bought a copy of your graphic novel. Even if nothing in the end comes of it, it could be a hassle for you.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

rcmonroe wrote:The guy sent you money? He's a fan. A social retard of a fan, but a fan nonetheless. He gets off on abusing you, but he reads your comic. Religiously. And he pays you.

I'm jealous. If you don't want him, can I have him?
It's 20c. He might've as well sent it to assure that CBF will check message attached to the transaction.

Returning money is good idea.

User avatar
Black Sparrow
Cartoon Anti-Hero
Posts: 6973
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:04 am
Location: Violating your restraining order
Contact:

Post by Black Sparrow »

mcDuffies wrote:Returning money is good idea.
Seconded. Maybe with a nice, mature response as to why.
This is going in my notebook titled "Things I Didn't Know about Surface Dwellers."
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Surya
Regular Poster
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: new york, NY
Contact:

Post by Surya »

Ever had a friend you tried to outprank? This sounds like a big prank. If you're not that type of person, it's weird. But I find the story more hilarious as it goes on.
PS no it hasn't happened to me because I've never gotten a response for my comic. *tear*
Image
A guy who can't get a break is about to take on the impossible.

Post Reply