BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
You win
So where do you get your inspiration?
- Anywherebuthere
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1500
- Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:29 pm
- Location: North-da-fucking-kota
- Contact:
I have died laughing.Dutch! wrote:That's fair dinkum.
My boyfriend is constantly prattling on in spoonerisms but I think you may have supplied me with a trump card... I just need to work out how to weave it in.
Comics contain nudity, sexual references, drug use and coarse language.
You must be 18 kiddies.
http://notatthisaddress.blogspot.com/
You must be 18 kiddies.
http://notatthisaddress.blogspot.com/
- Christwriter
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1915
- Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:56 am
Ooookay, slighly longish story.
I got the nucleus of the story--the real heart of it--when a friend of our family relapsed. Heroin addict, he kept trying to quit and he would, for about six months. And then something bad would come up and he would relapse again and go back to what he knew worked...even though it's gonna kill him. He's done that about six times in the years I've known him, and it got me thinking about just how hard it REALLY is to try to recover from a lifestyle that's unhealthy in the extream. You want it, you know you need it, but something about it just keeps you coming back, to the point where even though you know you're drowning you keep swimming. Now me, whenever I get an idea I find remotely interesting, I write a story about it. So the idea was to write a story about a character who was trying to save his/her life from his/her own choices and the lifestyle they'd chosen to lead.
'Round about this time I realized my webcomic sucked. It'd been up for about two months, and it sucked. It lacked a heart and a credible, believeable, sympathetic Main Character. I had a Mary Sue and a jumble of religious stuff, violence and...well, just blah stuff. There was nothing to organize it around because the Main Character was my ideal, perfect character, and she had no struggle. The character problem was easily fixed...somebody told me a member of the supporting cast, Lucy, was much more interesting than the MC. But if Lucy was a main character, she would be an amoral, perpetually pissed, slightly murderous, disorganized and crazy main character, so what kind of story could I possibly write...
...and then the ideas just clicked together. I can't say how or where, and excluding divine inspiration, I have no idea what made me put the first idea together with the comic idea, but it was a little like discovering gasoline after trying to start a fire with tree sap. I'm still not too sure if it's perfect or not, but it's certainly a very fertile story.
CW
I got the nucleus of the story--the real heart of it--when a friend of our family relapsed. Heroin addict, he kept trying to quit and he would, for about six months. And then something bad would come up and he would relapse again and go back to what he knew worked...even though it's gonna kill him. He's done that about six times in the years I've known him, and it got me thinking about just how hard it REALLY is to try to recover from a lifestyle that's unhealthy in the extream. You want it, you know you need it, but something about it just keeps you coming back, to the point where even though you know you're drowning you keep swimming. Now me, whenever I get an idea I find remotely interesting, I write a story about it. So the idea was to write a story about a character who was trying to save his/her life from his/her own choices and the lifestyle they'd chosen to lead.
'Round about this time I realized my webcomic sucked. It'd been up for about two months, and it sucked. It lacked a heart and a credible, believeable, sympathetic Main Character. I had a Mary Sue and a jumble of religious stuff, violence and...well, just blah stuff. There was nothing to organize it around because the Main Character was my ideal, perfect character, and she had no struggle. The character problem was easily fixed...somebody told me a member of the supporting cast, Lucy, was much more interesting than the MC. But if Lucy was a main character, she would be an amoral, perpetually pissed, slightly murderous, disorganized and crazy main character, so what kind of story could I possibly write...
...and then the ideas just clicked together. I can't say how or where, and excluding divine inspiration, I have no idea what made me put the first idea together with the comic idea, but it was a little like discovering gasoline after trying to start a fire with tree sap. I'm still not too sure if it's perfect or not, but it's certainly a very fertile story.
CW
"Remember that the definition of an adventure is someone else having a hell of a hard time a thousand miles away."
--Abbykat, NaNoWriMo participant '04
Coloring tutorial It's a little like coloring boot camp. Without the boots.
<a href="http://blueskunk.spiderforest.com">
</a>
<a href="http://www.nanowrimo.org"> NaNoWriMo </a> --for anyone who has ever aspired to write a novel. Insanity is also a requirement.
--Abbykat, NaNoWriMo participant '04
Coloring tutorial It's a little like coloring boot camp. Without the boots.
<a href="http://blueskunk.spiderforest.com">
</a><a href="http://www.nanowrimo.org"> NaNoWriMo </a> --for anyone who has ever aspired to write a novel. Insanity is also a requirement.





