HWAET!

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

You may laugh, but I never actually knew that "hwaet" is an old english word. I barely know new, how could I know old? :P


I hate deus-ex-machina;
Also, when comic characters point at bad sides of comic, as if it's gonna make anything better.

I hate people who make comics but don't insert anything new, original, theirs into it, but only closely follow their influences and build story on cliches and common places.
I think when talking about sprites, sprite comics that I hate can be put in that group as well: wacky humor, characters from games, same old jokes, same old dialogues, everything poor kid saw in other sprite comics.
But not sprite comics per se.

User avatar
Isukiyomi
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2446
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:08 am
Location: The Big Apple
Contact:

Post by Isukiyomi »

The only entertainment value that I find in Dragonball Z is all the yaoi fanfiction and doujinishi that it spawns (and some of them are well done...and put a happy smile on my face :D ) Goku does happen to be my favourite character by degree of his hotness...so all the shirtless episodes are very sweet :3 But that's not what this thread is about so I'll find my way out.
Valar Morghulis - Michiko Monogatari & Tehuti

User avatar
Locster
Regular Poster
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:56 am
Location: Somewhere dutch

Post by Locster »

wow a topic about my comic?
My sketchbook is such a scary place...

<K-Dawg> heh 69
<Mercury_Hat> I wonder who was the first guy to come up with that

Mr. Bob wrote: <b>Locster's axe not really bloodied, Its just tomato sauce</b>

User avatar
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3737
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am
Location: Superglued to the forum by Yeahduff
Contact:

Post by Phalanx »

Terotrous wrote:I hate comics with big archives who only have the ***big_calendar*** page...


wait for it...


And the visited link colour is THE SAME as the unvisited link colour so you can never find where you left off.
Touche. I am so glad I fixed that one.

oh, how about comics that don't have previous and next buttons, and you have go to the index every time you want to move to the next page?
godoftarot wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Comic creators who pat themselves on the back about how much better their comics are than the top popular comics and yet resent the fact that they aren't as popular and it's somehow the fault of the world and instead of actually doing something about it constructively they just go on and on and on and keep whining and even go to the extent of badmouthing the other webcomics that they see as their rivals.
Out of curiosity, were you thinking of anyone specifically? :P
Several people from several different forums, actually...
Image
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

User avatar
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3737
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am
Location: Superglued to the forum by Yeahduff
Contact:

Post by Phalanx »

ivstudios wrote:I guess the two that bug me most are:

1: Comics that make a strong (political) comment and either aren't funny or don't present a good argument. They're just like "Bush Sux and he's gonna kill everyone and he's not even our real president!" Now I don't exactly support everything Bush dose, but damnit come up with a cognitive reason to dislike him!
Hear Hear!
2: People who don't use curse words in situations where people would be expected to be cursing. "You killed my mother you jerk! I'm going to freaking kill you darnit!!!"
I used to be guilty of this a few years ago actually. ;) But keep in mind in different societies there are different standards of profanity. Back home if you said something like 'fuck' the room would quieten and everyone would stare at you. Having moved to England, I'm kinda used to hearing it from every other person and everyday conversation now.
Image
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

User avatar
Godoftarot
Regular Poster
Posts: 911
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:34 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow...
Contact:

Post by Godoftarot »

wp wrote:
godoftarot wrote:I know I obviously have a lot of manga influence in my comic, but I can't stand that sort of thing either. Yeah, I like the big eyes. But I'm not Japanese and I can't see why so many people try to be.
Not to mention that trying to read from right to left on the computer is just confusing as all hell.
If you read a lot of scanslations, you will become an expert at switching between left to right and right to left reading. I've never actually seen American webcomics do that right to left thing, though. Which ones are you talking about? I know of a possible one, but I think that's just because she's Korean.
I read a lot of manga, actually. However, it's much different on the internet. Usually the website doesn't go right to left along with the page. A graphic novel, however, is pretty much all right to left (minus the actualy text). That, plus the book structure, makes it easier. Rather than having to scroll down and click for the next page, you simply look to the left, which makes it much easier to adjust to the flow of reading in right to left. Even when you turn the page, you're still going in a continual right to left direction.
http://godoftarot.keenspace.com
God of Tarot: Giving new meaning to the phrase "Life sucks and then you die."

User avatar
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1456
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:48 pm
Location: Pacific NW
Contact:

Post by [geoduck] »

Phalanx wrote:
ivstudios wrote:2: People who don't use curse words in situations where people would be expected to be cursing. "You killed my mother you jerk! I'm going to freaking kill you darnit!!!"
I used to be guilty of this a few years ago actually. ;) But keep in mind in different societies there are different standards of profanity. Back home if you said something like 'fuck' the room would quieten and everyone would stare at you. Having moved to England, I'm kinda used to hearing it from every other person and everyday conversation now.
This is why I took a cue from Red Dwarf and created "fake" profanity for my strip. Your characters can swear their heads off, while you cling to your G rating. (Not that my comic is rated G, but still...)

I'm a bad speller, but there are people out there who are even worse than me, and that's one of my major peeves. As someone noted, "Your" and "You're" swaps are especially annoying, and seem to be cropping up more and more.


Reading other comments, I see that I've managed to turn some people off from my comic. Time to go make some changes...
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
Image

User avatar
Birdie
Keeps telling everyone stuff
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:50 am
Location: With your mom
Contact:

Post by Birdie »

so when do we rename this thread to "the things I hate about Super Fight Fight!!!"?

me and my cruddy cut and pasting, blatant violence, and swearing for no good reason...
"I find the first strip on this site incredibly offensive and awful" - Scott Kurtz
SuperFightFight More Filling than Douche Juice!

Wp
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:08 am
Contact:

Post by Wp »

godoftarot wrote:I read a lot of manga, actually. However, it's much different on the internet. Usually the website doesn't go right to left along with the page. A graphic novel, however, is pretty much all right to left (minus the actualy text). That, plus the book structure, makes it easier. Rather than having to scroll down and click for the next page, you simply look to the left, which makes it much easier to adjust to the flow of reading in right to left. Even when you turn the page, you're still going in a continual right to left direction.
Scanslations are actually a bunch of jpegs, so if you use the generic microsoft picture viewer, the only conflict of reading is clicking the right arrow button, which I leave my mouse on anyway. The only webcomic I know of that goes right to left (including previous and next page buttons)is Rules of Make-Believe, and the rest of the site is left to right. I guess you just get used to it. Which sites are you talking about?

User avatar
Smight
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 am
Location: A Dark Place
Contact:

Post by Smight »

Van Douchebag wrote: Cliche same-sex relationships where it's obvious the author is not the same sex as said characters
oooooooo, burn for these two http://kudasai.keenspace.com/
I remember caring... It was nice.

User avatar
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger
Posts: 6538
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Too Old for this Shit
Contact:

Post by CJBurgandy »

Smight wrote:
Van Douchebag wrote: Cliche same-sex relationships where it's obvious the author is not the same sex as said characters
oooooooo, burn for these two http://kudasai.keenspace.com/
It really depends on the comic... I personally Like shounen-ai kudasai, but I've read a lot of Lesbian comics written by guys that are just... stupid.
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Post by Van Douchebag »

Smight wrote:oooooooo, burn for these two http://kudasai.keenspace.com/
Nah, Kudasai is more like the relationship of Michelle and Maria if they were gay lovers.

I was referring, more or less, to Girly by Josh Lesnick.
Image

User avatar
Ida
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1042
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:41 am
Location: AWOL
Contact:

Post by Ida »

I hate comics that don't use speech balloons, or don't point the dialogue to the charcter who's speaking. Please guys, YES, it is cool-looking, but it not having balloons makes the comic almost impossible to read.
Warning: This poster regularly makes unintentionally sexual posts. Or at least "unintentional" is what she claims...

Image

User avatar
BloodKnight
Regular Poster
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:52 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contact:

Post by BloodKnight »

JexKerome wrote:
Spriteville, USA wrote:
Tim wrote: While yelling.
With a Piccillo clone saying things like, "This is impossible!" "I have never seen power as great as this!" "OOoooOOOOAAAArrrrGGGGGGuuuuNNNgggg!"

I swear Piccillo scenes with the other weaklings being surprised sounded like all male orgies.
Actually, the combatants stare at each other, and then one announces an attack, but launches instead into a LOOOONG flashback on how he got that attack, and other sundry miseries and fun facts about said attack. Finally, six episodes later, he launches the attack, and then the other guy starts HIS tirade on the nifty counter move he's about to unleash.
Oh yeah...you're talking about Knights of the Zodiac.

Let's not forgot the stupid concept of these moves...

"OMG HOW DID HE DODGE 1000 PUNCHES IN A SECOND?"
- Mark Iradian
Writer of Chronicles of Garas (A dark tech fantasy webcomic)
Image
Visit my LiveJournal

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Post by Phact0rri »

wp wrote:
godoftarot wrote:I read a lot of manga, actually. However, it's much different on the internet. Usually the website doesn't go right to left along with the page. A graphic novel, however, is pretty much all right to left (minus the actualy text). That, plus the book structure, makes it easier. Rather than having to scroll down and click for the next page, you simply look to the left, which makes it much easier to adjust to the flow of reading in right to left. Even when you turn the page, you're still going in a continual right to left direction.
Scanslations are actually a bunch of jpegs, so if you use the generic microsoft picture viewer, the only conflict of reading is clicking the right arrow button, which I leave my mouse on anyway. The only webcomic I know of that goes right to left (including previous and next page buttons)is Rules of Make-Believe, and the rest of the site is left to right. I guess you just get used to it. Which sites are you talking about?
no what you need is comic viewer it'll take a cbr or zip archive and lay it out in sequence.

word of warning, the manga option blows arse on this. its supposed to revert the panels or something, but it just causes the program to crash. its an older program but works well, its as I believe-- the going standard in reading cbr files, and makes reading scanalations... or well any comic you might... for what ever reason... download off the net... a bit easier to read.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

Waf
Regular Poster
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:18 pm

Post by Waf »

I don't get bugged too much by the occasional typo as most webcartoonists don't have proofreaders and yeah it is easy to slip up and swap its and it's.

I hate it when they abbreviate basic words.
'U' is not 'You'.
'Luv' is not 'Love' (Although Wuv is still acceptable as it is pronouced differently.)

I can't stand light pencil lettering with sloppy handwritting.

Story comics that just don't seem to move along at all. (The DBZ effect as some know it.)

Cartoonist with absolutely no people skills. You know the screaming/crying pick a fight with everyone type. "OMG that fucker wouldn't link me and I have the best comic evarh! If you like my comic go spam his forums & E-Mail so he learns his lesson!" (That's actually milder than some of the crap I've seen go down.)

Not directly comic related by comic forums with extreme grammer rules. I can understand people saying "Hey bud, don't use l33t speak", and I believe it is good form to read over your posts before submitting. But if I post a question. Come back in a few hours and there are 2 responses both saying "Man you are retarded cause you didn't start one of your sentances with a capital letter."
Image

User avatar
Genesis_13
Regular Poster
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:58 pm
Location: Right outside M.E. Charm's house...escaping!
Contact:

Post by Genesis_13 »

Waf wrote:But if I post a question. Come back in a few hours and there are 2 responses both saying "Man you are retarded cause you didn't start one of your sentances with a capital letter."
OMFG its 'SENTENCES" U IDIAT!!!111!! DUH@!!!



I'm just joshin' ya. ^_^
Who are you calling a super-small bean you need a magnifying glass to see?!!!

This would be so much better if I updated it....which I did....but then I stopped again!

Waf
Regular Poster
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:18 pm

Post by Waf »

Ba-Zing
Image

User avatar
Luprand
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:33 pm
Location: Cougar country
Contact:

Post by Luprand »

Genesis_13 wrote:OMFG its 'SENTENCES" U IDIAT!!!111!! DUH@!!!
Sad thing was, that was a good AOLization of my first thought. *facepalms*

--Sij
Torio - A cartoonist without a plot.
NeTrek and other low-quality scribbles.

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

[geoduck] wrote:This is why I took a cue from Red Dwarf and created "fake" profanity for my strip.
It's not fake. Check a dictionary.

- Joel Fagin
Image

Post Reply