Unforseen popularity of certain characters

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Odd1
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Post by Odd1 »

Apparently people like Binky the Fish. I got 3 fanmails directed at Binky after his first appearance in the comic. Mind you, he has very little expression and no lines whatsoever. He isn't even a loveable puppy sort of pet. HE'S A FISH. So I'm still somewhat surprised.

Image

Finally I did a color CG by demand.

User avatar
Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Ste-Julienne
Contact:

Post by Ti-Phil »

Hmm.. I don't think any of the characters are more popular than others....but I do know that I got an E-mail saying every character was great but Pete.
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter

User avatar
BERSERKERCREW
Regular Poster
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:32 pm
Location: heck
Contact:

Post by BERSERKERCREW »

girls tend to like the gay pretty boy in my comic. (with the blone hair) **shrug** that's what i put him in for so i guess it worked. I don't reall hear about the other characters.
besides that they're all cute looking. **shrug**
the girls get equal love too. so, ah well.

Image

User avatar
Noise Monkey
Smells of pee
Posts: 5848
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:14 am
Location: A little short...
Contact:

Post by Noise Monkey »

Other than my mom, who usually doesn't know what's going on, I don't hear much from readers about my characters...except this one kid I work with who recently started reading. He loves the Death character (Agent TK421) who was only around to instigate my first major story arc. Strange. I may bring him back (according to my plans) but its strange that he would pick a character who was mostly a whiny head the entire time he was around...

User avatar
Zph719s
Regular Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:50 am
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Post by Zph719s »

Odd1 wrote:Apparently people like Binky the Fish.
How could you help it? Really? Naming him Binky's a good approach, too. Sounds like a pacifier.

Actually, I hate animals, unless they're cartoons. So Binky's okay.

Since I hate animals, I had to create my own.
I think overwhelmingly, all my readers like Bolo the best. He's the little guy with wings:

Image

Of course, a lot of people like Beatrice, too. Even though she's currently out of commission.

I can't really change the story any because of this. It's already mapped out. Actually, it's more fun to make people THINK I'm going to kill off their favorite character than actually doing it. Haha.

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Post by Phact0rri »

There's this sort of battle between who's the fan favorite Stryker or Monika-- but those two were not supposed to take off that well... and I wanted to use them to counter act Joe-- and later Matt as well.

thinks didn't work out to well. Monika was more suprising to me than Stryker however, as I can't draw women very well and Stryker looks a lot like me--so he's got somerthing of a staple for the readers who are my friends or who follow my music.

but I get mails and IMs about how much people love Stryker and Monika. Before I introed Stryker monika was definatly the fan favorite.. but after stryker came out.. there was definatly a robot love out there.

might have something to do with pimping on an electro-pop forum, *l*
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

User avatar
Lintjinks
Regular Poster
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:39 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Post by Lintjinks »

Keffria wrote:Everyone loves Bard Guy! He was just supposed to be a random thief who robbed the Intrepid Heroes, but now he has his own title page...

After I realized that he's more popular than Galad (the main character... ;>.<), I decided to write him a proper background story and give him a role in the current chapter. In fact, he's getting more time "on-screen" than Galad at the moment, although I don't know if I'm going to carry him straight through to the end of the story.

(He does look cooler on banners, though.)
Dudette, Bard Guy is HOT! (and so is Komiyan)

It's Xylic. Everybody likes Xylic. He's a total moron. I don't get it, but what are ya gonna do.

Like Flatwood, I've written out the whole story, so regardless of who is popular it happens the way it happens.
Image
Image

User avatar
Col
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:40 am
Location: Uncertainty
Contact:

Post by Col »

Norman's a particular favorite of a few people, because he's just such a darn cute and likeable alien. That's just based off maybe... two people. He gained a lot more attention from my friends when I did a painting of him, so that could be why too. I suspect people like Wade too, but that's just a theory based off the fact that I like him. Ghosts provide the best material sometimes.

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

One of my readers has a crush the main character of my comic, Evan. It's kinda weird to me, but oh well.
Image

Spriteville, USA
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2060
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:14 pm

Post by Spriteville, USA »

PeppermintAfterlife wrote:One of my readers has a crush the main character of my comic, Evan. It's kinda weird to me, but oh well.
I suppose "magical shorts" will do that... =]

woo, score points for comic relevancy!... unless I confused who evan is in which case I suck and am crying right now...

User avatar
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!
Posts: 2725
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 11:35 am
Location: Hrmph.
Contact:

Post by Komiyan »

lintjinks wrote:
Keffria wrote:Everyone loves Bard Guy! He was just supposed to be a random thief who robbed the Intrepid Heroes, but now he has his own title page...

After I realized that he's more popular than Galad (the main character... ;>.<), I decided to write him a proper background story and give him a role in the current chapter. In fact, he's getting more time "on-screen" than Galad at the moment, although I don't know if I'm going to carry him straight through to the end of the story.

(He does look cooler on banners, though.)
Dudette, Bard Guy is HOT! (and so is Komiyan)
Long hair + Glasses = Hooray!
Also sock-stealing. That's good too.
Image
Image

User avatar
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3737
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am
Location: Superglued to the forum by Yeahduff
Contact:

Post by Phalanx »

lintjinks wrote:[It's Xylic. Everybody likes Xylic. He's a total moron. I don't get it, but what are ya gonna do.
I think this page was responsible for that, Colby!
Image
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Spriteville, USA wrote:
PeppermintAfterlife wrote:One of my readers has a crush the main character of my comic, Evan. It's kinda weird to me, but oh well.
I suppose "magical shorts" will do that... =]

woo, score points for comic relevancy!... unless I confused who evan is in which case I suck and am crying right now...
Don't cry, you are absolutely right on both fronts.
There's a reason he took his pants off to put new ones on. But I didn't get an update out yet becasue real life is kickng my ass right now. You'll find out soon though if you're really intersted.
Image

User avatar
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
Posts: 3748
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm
Location: not-France

Post by Keffria »

Komiyan wrote:
lintjinks wrote: Dudette, Bard Guy is HOT! (and so is Komiyan)
Long hair + Glasses = Hooray!
Also sock-stealing. That's good too.
:lol: Thanks! (Sock... stealing...?)

Yes, never mind personality or intelligence or physical prowess; the key to a girl's heart is a long wig and some glasses.

User avatar
MaxRadical
Regular Poster
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Post by MaxRadical »

I had some of this - I got a couple of sweet fanarts, and they *all* featured the same character (Cache), who seems to be pretty popular with everyone.

In retrospect, given that she was (at that point) the only girl and built out of a GameCube, it was sort of predictable that she would be the popular one.

Hindsight, eh?

User avatar
Tynan
A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR
Posts: 4214
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Adventuring
Contact:

Post by Tynan »

Keffria wrote:
Komiyan wrote:
lintjinks wrote: Dudette, Bard Guy is HOT! (and so is Komiyan)
Long hair + Glasses = Hooray!
Also sock-stealing. That's good too.
:lol: Thanks! (Sock... stealing...?)

Yes, never mind personality or intelligence or physical prowess; the key to a girl's heart is a long wig and some glasses.
Awww nuts! I only have one of the two.....and that just wont cut it!

User avatar
Leko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Wandering my psyche in search of my mind
Contact:

Post by Leko »

Hahah.... cut it... *snicker* And you're talking about hair... heeheehee...

yeah, I'm a freak.
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

User avatar
Tynan
A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR
Posts: 4214
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Adventuring
Contact:

Post by Tynan »

Leko wrote:Hahah.... cut it... *snicker* And you're talking about hair... heeheehee...

yeah, I'm a freak.
My only response to you is that....I'm...an actor.

User avatar
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4667
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: bat country
Contact:

Post by LibertyCabbage »

Early on in my strip I had a character named Orangenius that was just supposed to be a one-strip character (or possibly two or three strips) and he ended up being one of the main characters and my favorite character.

As for my readers... well I don't have any because my comic isn't up yet =/ I joined Keenspace on Wednesday so hopefully I'll get my pass next week and I'll be on my way to fame!

Freedom Fries coming soon!!!

User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.
Contact:

Post by Mercury Hat »

I've carefully written all my characters to be likeable, no surprises here :D . Fanart's pretty evenly divided among all the characters, too.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

Post Reply