Your webcomic life and real life - how close are they?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Do your RL friends and family know about your webcomic?

Yes, both friends and family!
22
40%
Just my friends, baby.
13
24%
I've told my family!
1
2%
I've told my mortal enemies...
0
No votes
No! I'm afraid no one will like it.
1
2%
Nah. I like having my secret life in webcomics!
6
11%
My online friends know about it, but that's it.
5
9%
THE WHOLE WORLD KNOWS!
7
13%
 
Total votes: 55

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Meh, my family - maybe they know, maybe don't. Either way, they don't care. My friends, and my sister, they know and usually are supportive.

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

My parents know about my comic. I don't think they read it. My friends know about my comic - they read it. My fiance' knows about my comic... she sometimes reads it. All three of my cats are addicted to my comic and regularly read it.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:28 am
Location: nowhere

Post by YarpsDat »

At first no one knew.
After a year or so I started showing some of the drawings to my parents, because they are both skilled in art so I wanted some comments. But I haven't shown them the comic (like, full story arcs with dialogs and stuff), because I'm not sure I want them to know I'm that crazy. Besides mom doesn't know english, and dad knows it only a bit, so I'd have to translate it for them.

My brothers knew when I was drawing, but I wasn't showing it to them. Perhaps they know the URL, but if they do they don't care.

As far as I know, my friends don't know.
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.

User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Post by Jim North »

Friends, family, co-workers . . . I even told the nice lady who cut my hair the other day. I left a comic-related doodle with the comic's URL scribbled underneath on a napkin at a restaurant one day. I really don't mind if anyone I know knows about RotD. Heck, one of the neatest e-mails I ever got was from one of my aunts down in Texas . . . she told me that she was just doing a random Google check on my name to see what popped up and was halfway through the front page of RotD before she realized it was actually me.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

User avatar
JPSloan
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1406
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Germantown, MD
Contact:

Post by JPSloan »

A large portion of what I put in my comic is directly based off of real life. I tell everyone about it, except my coworkers (since I paint them in a poor light). Of course, that's less a problem now that I've changed employment, but still...
Ancient relic of a by-gone era.

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

Jim North wrote:Heck, one of the neatest e-mails I ever got was from one of my aunts down in Texas . . . she told me that she was just doing a random Google check on my name to see what popped up and was halfway through the front page of RotD before she realized it was actually me.
One word: Pseudonym. ;)
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

User avatar
Pockybot
Regular Poster
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Sacramento CA
Contact:

Post by Pockybot »

This is a good post. Well, PockyBot does mirror some aspects of my life. At its nexus, its a story about a lonely kid full of imagination and wonder...who immerses himself in a wacky online battlefield mmorpg against the backdrop of not having a social life in real life.

As for as people...well a couple of interesting people I know IRL are in it, but trust me...they are real life 'characters'. I also will in strange ways adapt things that happen to me in the comic...not mundane 'Real Life' style, but my own twist on Cory's misadventures.

But for the most part, what I lack in real life I make up for in the comic, and thus is the whole point of all the madness.

User avatar
YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:28 am
Location: nowhere

Post by YarpsDat »

pockybot wrote: As for as people...well a couple of interesting people I know IRL are in it[...]
The question is... do they know about it? And do they read the comic?
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

Mine's an autobiography.

User avatar
Pockybot
Regular Poster
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Sacramento CA
Contact:

Post by Pockybot »

falos wrote:My webcomic was originally an ordinary comic, which was just something within my friends.

Ever since I went digital though, I just tell folks "Yeah, I run a webcomic. Try it sometime." Not much of a big deal, I don't lose much time on it.
Well, given they even tell me what theyd like to see thei rcharacter do in future strips, and were with me promoting PockyBot at Fanime 2004 in full cosplay regalia...I would think so;)

User avatar
Ida
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1042
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:41 am
Location: AWOL
Contact:

Post by Ida »

My best friend knows. Everybody else... well, most people I know probably wouldn't even know what a webcomic IS, for one, and to be honest, I would be rather ashamed if they knew. I haven't told my parents yet, though I plan on doing it when the story has unfolded more - on the other hand, my mother tends to tackle my interests rather strangely (she used 'Spirited Away' to partially psychoanalyse me. O_o), so I might tell dad first, especially since he is actually into comics.
Warning: This poster regularly makes unintentionally sexual posts. Or at least "unintentional" is what she claims...

Image

User avatar
K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE
Posts: 4844
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Yes, let us check!
Contact:

Post by K-Dawg »

A couple of my friends know about my comic. My mom sorta knows; actually she just knows I do drawings and put them onto the internet.
Image

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey

User avatar
Blahsville!
Regular Poster
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:04 am
Location: Blahsville, USA
Contact:

Post by Blahsville! »

My friends know about it... but I get varying degrees of support from them, as for family... pretty much only my mom and brother. It's not that I'm ashamed so much as I only tend to pimp my site to those who would appreciate my style of humor.
Image

Tour Blahsville! Our sewer system is now Dolphin safe!

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

Both our sets of parents (co-writers, before you guys start getting any funny ideas) are aware of School Spirit. I know mine don't read it, but I'm not sure about his folks.

My sister knows, and apparently tells her friends, but who knows really? Others know I do it, but don't read it often. Otherwise, I have no idea who's reading, except one person who was nice enough to send us an email, and he actually had good things to say.

Besides that, we seem to be getting regular visits, so there's a few more strangers than people we know reading.

Mind you, be good if those we know would take a more active interest...

Maybe I should spread the word around school? It's PG rated, so I'm sure the kids in my grade could read it too...
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

Post Reply