Source of Inspiration
- Cope
- Incompetent Monster
- Posts: 7378
- Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:37 pm
- Location: Masked man of mystery
- Contact:
I pull all my ideas out of my arse, anyways.
I dunno...television?
- LibertyCabbage
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 4667
- Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
- Location: bat country
- Contact:
- Wishmaster
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 492
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 9:06 am
- Location: Your Local Strip Club
- Contact:
For stories, most anything can inspire me really. Real life experiences, myths and legends, old movies, conspiracy theories, songs or music videos, something in the news, the Tarot, the Book of Lists, whatever.
As far as what inspired me to do comics, and more specifically the kind of comic I am doing (Wish anyway, Doc and GfB owe different things to different sources), Robert Crumb, the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, Phil Foglio, Vaughn Bode, the Far Side, South Park, Popeye, Archie, Calvin and Hobbes, and on and on and on.
Comics are fun.
As far as what inspired me to do comics, and more specifically the kind of comic I am doing (Wish anyway, Doc and GfB owe different things to different sources), Robert Crumb, the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, Phil Foglio, Vaughn Bode, the Far Side, South Park, Popeye, Archie, Calvin and Hobbes, and on and on and on.
Comics are fun.
- Sincerely
- Ice Queen
- Posts: 1814
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:09 pm
- Location: In my frigid kingdom
- Contact:
I have no idea!
I don't have a life, so I can't say I get my inspiration from that. I think it's just impressions. I want to do such-and-such a thing, so I build a story around how that would happen. I build characters and then see what happens when I throw them into this situation or that situation and build a story around it.
I don't have a life, so I can't say I get my inspiration from that. I think it's just impressions. I want to do such-and-such a thing, so I build a story around how that would happen. I build characters and then see what happens when I throw them into this situation or that situation and build a story around it.
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
- Dave Against The Machine
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1643
- Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:58 pm
- Location: Spontaneously combusting at will.
- Contact:
My inspiration is Cope. I know if i get far enough, I get mutiant confeti.
Seriously. I usually get mine from work. You should hear the enteresting conversations I over hear ther. Being a comic artist, (use the word artist lossly
) I'm like, THAT WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA! Then I get weird looks. Seriously, I acidently yelled that out once. My inner thoughts wern't working to well that day.
Seriously. I usually get mine from work. You should hear the enteresting conversations I over hear ther. Being a comic artist, (use the word artist lossly
- Pimpette
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 4147
- Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:13 pm
- Location: Comi-what now?
- Contact:
My inspiration?
Story-wise: Conversations with friends. The entire cast and basic concept of Pimpette & Assc. was birthed out of a series of random conversations in my last year of high school.
The fictional band Face Pants Fire also came out of a really random MSN conversation - I was spewing out strings of random words at someone (I forget why, but I'm sure there was a reason) and he picked out the words "Face Pants Fire" and started laughing. Eventually we decided it would be a hilarious name for a band.
Character-Design-Wise: "Hey, I'm bored. Time to doodle! Hey... this guy's pretty cool-looking. I wonder if I can shove him into a story somewhere so I have an excuse to draw him some more?"
Again with the Face Pants Fire. I got bored a night or two after the birth of the name, and doodled some people in a band, and decided they could be FPF.
Plus I draw scribbly comics of the FPF guys when I get bored, because they're so silly and cute. And it's a relief to draw something other than Pimpette comics, sometimes.
Story-wise: Conversations with friends. The entire cast and basic concept of Pimpette & Assc. was birthed out of a series of random conversations in my last year of high school.
The fictional band Face Pants Fire also came out of a really random MSN conversation - I was spewing out strings of random words at someone (I forget why, but I'm sure there was a reason) and he picked out the words "Face Pants Fire" and started laughing. Eventually we decided it would be a hilarious name for a band.
Character-Design-Wise: "Hey, I'm bored. Time to doodle! Hey... this guy's pretty cool-looking. I wonder if I can shove him into a story somewhere so I have an excuse to draw him some more?"
Again with the Face Pants Fire. I got bored a night or two after the birth of the name, and doodled some people in a band, and decided they could be FPF.
Plus I draw scribbly comics of the FPF guys when I get bored, because they're so silly and cute. And it's a relief to draw something other than Pimpette comics, sometimes.
- Guildmaster Van
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 825
- Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:17 pm
- Location: El Quebeco
- Contact:
*thinks*
I get inspiration from video games a lot, as well as fantasy games.
While playing games like Warcraft, Guild Wars, Ragnarok and what-not I have the tendency to take the character I'm playing with and give them a backstory or at least garner some ideas from the game itself. Samara, for example, originally came from my exploits in Diablo II with a Fire-based sorceress character.
Another source comes from Wizards of the Coasts' Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: the Gathering, but they mainly influence my perspective on the world I created rather than the individuals.
In regards to my style Genndy Tartakovsky, the guy behind Samurai Jack and others, Josh Howard (Dead@17) and Mike Krahulik of Penny Arcade have contributed to my art style, which has now taken a life of its own.
Music also helps me draw and write. Using my mp3 walkman I'll listen to tunes and think of conflicts and situations that could fit the music. Needless to say I've very big on Nightwish in this respect. I also use bands like Therion, P.E. Posthumus, Tristania, Era, Enigma, Loreena McKennitt, Arcana and Nobuo Uematsu.
I get inspiration from video games a lot, as well as fantasy games.
While playing games like Warcraft, Guild Wars, Ragnarok and what-not I have the tendency to take the character I'm playing with and give them a backstory or at least garner some ideas from the game itself. Samara, for example, originally came from my exploits in Diablo II with a Fire-based sorceress character.
Another source comes from Wizards of the Coasts' Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: the Gathering, but they mainly influence my perspective on the world I created rather than the individuals.
In regards to my style Genndy Tartakovsky, the guy behind Samurai Jack and others, Josh Howard (Dead@17) and Mike Krahulik of Penny Arcade have contributed to my art style, which has now taken a life of its own.
Music also helps me draw and write. Using my mp3 walkman I'll listen to tunes and think of conflicts and situations that could fit the music. Needless to say I've very big on Nightwish in this respect. I also use bands like Therion, P.E. Posthumus, Tristania, Era, Enigma, Loreena McKennitt, Arcana and Nobuo Uematsu.
- Realityendshere
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 220
- Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:06 pm
- Location: Avoiding that unpleasantness known as "Reality"
- Contact:
Hmmm... "Inspired" and "Reality Ends Here" don't really belong in the same sentence...
My insane conversations have actually contributed to my jokes and story arcs more than anything else...
Oh right... and I sold my soul. To RYClaude.
My insane conversations have actually contributed to my jokes and story arcs more than anything else...
Oh right... and I sold my soul. To RYClaude.
<A HREF="http://realityendshere.deviantart.com">A new gallery! Yay!</A>


- Dark Spider
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 165
- Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:26 am
- Contact:
For Niece Web, I come up with the basic premise from out of random things that I may come across in my life. The Disasterous Date story is based on my own frustrations with a girl who acted like Neoma did. The Chatterbox Technique story is based on this old 70s movie called "Chatterbox" about this woman with a talking vagina. The Rainy Day Club is based on the ideas surrouding the Breakfast Club movie. After the basic premise is down, then the plot is completely character driven and it sort of writes itself.
For the Credenza of Nothing comic (which isn't available yet), I take stuff from current events and any other topical nonsense that I think of or come across.
My art style is inspired VERY loosely from anime, but its developed into its own style now. I want to improve it, but I lack the free time available to do so.
For the Credenza of Nothing comic (which isn't available yet), I take stuff from current events and any other topical nonsense that I think of or come across.
My art style is inspired VERY loosely from anime, but its developed into its own style now. I want to improve it, but I lack the free time available to do so.
Things that inspire me:
My friends, ferret, birds, family, and just a general thirst to improve and want to create something cool.
Webcomics and comics that inspire me:
It's Walky. http://www.itswalky.com
Wapsi Square. http://www.wapsisquare.com
Comics to Make Love To- http://www.lowbright.com/
Blue Monday- http://www.onipress.com
Scott Pligrim Vs. The World - http://www.onipress.com
My friends, ferret, birds, family, and just a general thirst to improve and want to create something cool.
Webcomics and comics that inspire me:
It's Walky. http://www.itswalky.com
Wapsi Square. http://www.wapsisquare.com
Comics to Make Love To- http://www.lowbright.com/
Blue Monday- http://www.onipress.com
Scott Pligrim Vs. The World - http://www.onipress.com
- Dave Against The Machine
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1643
- Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:58 pm
- Location: Spontaneously combusting at will.
- Contact:
Various media, really. From playing shitloads of games as a kid, and all the fantasy worlds I immersed myself in moving from home to home to home to home. No stability till I was 12, so I played games. Magic: the Gathering is a huge influence on what I do. That should be very apparent with the various references I slap in there.
That and the trance thing Claude mentioned. I have that "problem" too. :p
That and the trance thing Claude mentioned. I have that "problem" too. :p
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die















