evolutionation

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

I think it would be more accurate to say that both Hartmann and West were doing an archetypal "swanky/corny 50s businessman/action hero" voice.
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Kevin Wolf
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Walking the Earth.
Contact:

Post by Kevin Wolf »

Charlton Heston.
Of course, I'm the one that isn't JP Sloan or Jim North.

BLOGTRONIC Text Server

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Post by Van Douchebag »

Driving Without Pants wrote:He was the scratchy-voiced psychaitrist from early in the show, first introduced when the Simpsons went to family counseling and got hooked up to the "mutual electric shock" machines. They killed him off at some point, although I think it was because the guy who did his voice said he hated doing it because it hurt his throat.
They brought him back.
He was "sick".
Image

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

Yes, Charlton Heston is exactly the sort of voice I was trying to describe.
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Kevin Wolf
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Walking the Earth.
Contact:

Post by Kevin Wolf »

I imagine Jeffy Weffy's gonna be pretty annoyed when he comes back tomorrow to find that his topic degenerated immediately into a Simpsons conversation.
Of course, I'm the one that isn't JP Sloan or Jim North.

BLOGTRONIC Text Server

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

Back to the topic at hand, however...

One of my own characters, Rash, has undergone a lot of design changes over the years as well. Since I've been drawing him since I was 6 or so, that's understandable.

Image

His head was originally purple (though his snout still had the same tan color it does today) while the rest of his body was green. I only changed that very late in the game, in fact I even tinkered around with giving him a purple head in some of my early strips from 2002, but I eventually decided against it.

Fun Fact: Rash in his original form was featured prominently on one of the first non-military/academic websites on the internet, RamseyNet. Some of you may not remember RamseyNet (in fact if any of you do, I would be very surprised) but it was this lame-ass joke/brain teaser/etc. site that my dad put up when I was a kid as a lark. We were listed in the top 100 websites one time in some obscure internet magazine though! So we had that going for us!
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

Nice. I liked the tail tough.

Back to the Simpsons. Remember a while ago everyone was creating all this hoo-haa about some upcoming episode where a character/s would come out of the closet? So, I'm curious. Who was it?

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

I think that was supposed to be for next year or something. I really have no idea, that show is such shit now that I never watch it or pay any attention to it. Bring on the Second Coming of Family Guy, says I.
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Valuedan
Regular Poster
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:41 am
Location: Cheney
Contact:

Post by Valuedan »

I'm not sure, since I try to avoid the new episodes altogether, but I think they're secretly trying to turn Bart gay. The actress that plays him is aging, and is doing a worse job of masking the femininity in her voice than she used to.
<a href="http://dansedansemacabre.net">Danse Danse Macabre</a> is pretty funny how about you go read it

User avatar
JeremyW
Regular Poster
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:45 pm
Location: magic town

Post by JeremyW »

Mr.Bob wrote:Nice. I liked the tail tough.

Back to the Simpsons. Remember a while ago everyone was creating all this hoo-haa about some upcoming episode where a character/s would come out of the closet? So, I'm curious. Who was it?
One of Marges sisters. This episode has not yet aired.

User avatar
Valuedan
Regular Poster
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:41 am
Location: Cheney
Contact:

Post by Valuedan »

There were occasional hints that Patty might be a lesbian throughout the series, although they were a lot less subtle than the "hints" that Smithers was gay.
<a href="http://dansedansemacabre.net">Danse Danse Macabre</a> is pretty funny how about you go read it

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

The latest episodes coming in for me finally reached the GW Bush administration years. I know this because Homer made a Cheney joke yesterday. You guys are right about the show's depreciating quality. I've been left feeling nonplussed after nearly every episode this week so far.

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

Smithers is gay? My whole world is crashing down around me.
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Valuedan
Regular Poster
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:41 am
Location: Cheney
Contact:

Post by Valuedan »

Mr.Bob wrote:The latest episodes coming in for me finally reached the GW Bush administration years. I know this because Homer made a Cheney joke yesterday. You guys are right about the show's depreciating quality. I've been left feeling nonplussed after nearly every episode this week so far.
What do you mean? Like, they are just now airing them in the Netherlands?
<a href="http://dansedansemacabre.net">Danse Danse Macabre</a> is pretty funny how about you go read it

User avatar
Humbug
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:05 am
Location: Not here.
Contact:

Post by Humbug »

JeremyW wrote:
Mr.Bob wrote:Nice. I liked the tail tough.

Back to the Simpsons. Remember a while ago everyone was creating all this hoo-haa about some upcoming episode where a character/s would come out of the closet? So, I'm curious. Who was it?
One of Marges sisters. This episode has not yet aired.
Hmm, really? I thought it was Lenny. :P

User avatar
Kevin Wolf
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Walking the Earth.
Contact:

Post by Kevin Wolf »

For posterity, I present to you all the evolution of Leon.

Image

He's gone from an 18-inch tall winged imp to a rampaging wingless giant, and now he's about hobbit-sized with no explanation of how he got that way. No character has morphed more than he has over the years, except maybe for Camille because I just can't drawn the ladies.
Of course, I'm the one that isn't JP Sloan or Jim North.

BLOGTRONIC Text Server

User avatar
JeremyW
Regular Poster
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:45 pm
Location: magic town

Post by JeremyW »

I've been doing my comic for about five months. Here's how Doczilla has evolved. Take note that his ears are now positioned right at the back of his head which is not noticable from the angle in the colour pic. Image

User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
Posts: 9158
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
Contact:

Post by Yeahduff »

What's with all these strange drawings cutting in on our Simpson's discussion? God, people around here are so rude....
Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

Lookie what I found on the internet! Compromise!

Image
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Kevin Wolf
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Walking the Earth.
Contact:

Post by Kevin Wolf »

Man, those Tracy Ullman-era characters were freakish.
Of course, I'm the one that isn't JP Sloan or Jim North.

BLOGTRONIC Text Server

Post Reply