Like, censorship and stuff
My rating? I don't know. Officially I say "not for kids", but they see worse things on TV all the time.
Language: Some swearing. Including a giand "SHIIIIIIIT" across the second page.
Violence: quite a lot, with permanent killing. And more coming.
Nudity and Sex: very little. But if I ever need either for the story, I won't hesitate before putting them in.
Language: Some swearing. Including a giand "SHIIIIIIIT" across the second page.
Violence: quite a lot, with permanent killing. And more coming.
Nudity and Sex: very little. But if I ever need either for the story, I won't hesitate before putting them in.
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."
"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.
"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.
*shakes head* tsk tsk tsk, my comic fails on 21 pointsOkie wrote:IS YOUR COMIC UP TO CODE? (The 1954 Comic Book Code)
http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/6543/
I go slightly off topic...
Last summer (north emisphere) i was working also on an other webcomic hosted on a website called "Eye on Troika" (now it's dead completely).
Troika is a team of videogame developers specialized in computer RPGs, EoT was a fansite of said team, and my comic was about the developement of their lastest game: The Temple of Elemental Evil (Published by Atari).
I never refrainde from using my comics to poke fun and (at the same time) criticize some of Atari's bad choices.
Now... the game was meant to be rated "R", but about one month before it was ready Atari decided to make it "T" and ordered the programmers to remove all the kids (along with other things) from the game, so players couldn't kill them (killing kids ain't suitable for a "T" game).
This quite ruined the game 'cause the programmers didn't have the time to change all the dialogues and you see people talking about kids when kids don't exist.
This matter (plus the fact that i hate censorship) pissed me off a bit, so i drew this:

Guess what? They said they wouldn't publish this 'cause it was "too much"!
And they didn't, in fact.
Last summer (north emisphere) i was working also on an other webcomic hosted on a website called "Eye on Troika" (now it's dead completely).
Troika is a team of videogame developers specialized in computer RPGs, EoT was a fansite of said team, and my comic was about the developement of their lastest game: The Temple of Elemental Evil (Published by Atari).
I never refrainde from using my comics to poke fun and (at the same time) criticize some of Atari's bad choices.
Now... the game was meant to be rated "R", but about one month before it was ready Atari decided to make it "T" and ordered the programmers to remove all the kids (along with other things) from the game, so players couldn't kill them (killing kids ain't suitable for a "T" game).
This quite ruined the game 'cause the programmers didn't have the time to change all the dialogues and you see people talking about kids when kids don't exist.
This matter (plus the fact that i hate censorship) pissed me off a bit, so i drew this:

Guess what? They said they wouldn't publish this 'cause it was "too much"!
And they didn't, in fact.
- Nishichi27
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 705
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 11:44 am
- Location: Tied up in M.E. Charm's basement, at the moment.
- Contact:
Language: Lots, but nothing like Jay and Silent Bob, and no really bad words, just "Shit" and "damn" and an occasional "crap". It's not like I speak like this in real life, but my characters are also older than me.
Violence: Hints, but no direct showing of, wounds. There will probably be some in the future, though.
Nudity and Sex: None (although some fanservice for forum contests). Some dirty jokes, but I'm not about to draw anything that complies with them. (See old banner: "Want Fanservice? Too bad.")
Teehee. I love flowers and bunnies! You should introduce that kid to the Monty Python bunny.
Violence: Hints, but no direct showing of, wounds. There will probably be some in the future, though.
Nudity and Sex: None (although some fanservice for forum contests). Some dirty jokes, but I'm not about to draw anything that complies with them. (See old banner: "Want Fanservice? Too bad.")
Teehee. I love flowers and bunnies! You should introduce that kid to the Monty Python bunny.
Language: People cuss. Not wildly throwing out explitives, just whenever a person probably would.
Violence: A guy has a bomb in his crotch now. A full blown war is about to break out, and characters will die left and right.
Nudity and Sex: There will be at some point, but I doubt that I will draw it all out.
I picked pg-13 for my rating, but I may bump it up later.
Violence: A guy has a bomb in his crotch now. A full blown war is about to break out, and characters will die left and right.
Nudity and Sex: There will be at some point, but I doubt that I will draw it all out.
I picked pg-13 for my rating, but I may bump it up later.
- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
Oh, but your avatar? It has boobz and it has no clothes!KittyKatBlack wrote:At the moment I probably have a PG rating. There's really been nothing bad in my comic other than maybe the word 'damnit'. It wasn't intentional, I just don't like to throw in sex and violence as a gimick when it's not nessicary. The rating will probably go up as I draw more strips. There might be a shower scene or two in the near future, I'm not sure yet. I figure there might be some real violence later on (I mean theyr'e space marines, after all...) but most likely it will be aliens being blown up or something. As far as things stand right now though, it's pretty clean.
I think in USA, innuendos are appropriate for kids, but only if they come from USA products. (as seen with in a rather strange story of "Longest Journey" distribution)Sometimes I wonder about my own rating, given all the sexual innuendo that I seem to put in every other comic even when I'm not trying. But I've never really had any serious complaints beyond my parents sorta regretting that they gave my URL to kids at church.
_
Well, just out of curiosity.Why compare comic strips/books to tv shows and movies rating systems?
A Comic book is halfway between art and literature. Neither of which have rating systems.
Awesome, and according to my own opinion.Like that story of a teacher who was fired because she told kids that santa doesn't exist.Guess what? They said they wouldn't publish this 'cause it was "too much"!
And they didn't, in fact.
- KittyKatBlack
- Cartoon Villain
- Posts: 3182
- Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:56 pm
- Location: How the hell should I know? I just live here...
- Contact:
A) KittyKatBlack (Displayed in my Avatar) does not appear anywhere in my comics. It's a representation of me, the artist.mcDuffies wrote:Oh, but your avatar? It has boobz and it has no clothes!KittyKatBlack wrote:At the moment I probably have a PG rating. There's really been nothing bad in my comic other than maybe the word 'damnit'. It wasn't intentional, I just don't like to throw in sex and violence as a gimick when it's not nessicary. The rating will probably go up as I draw more strips. There might be a shower scene or two in the near future, I'm not sure yet. I figure there might be some real violence later on (I mean theyr'e space marines, after all...) but most likely it will be aliens being blown up or something. As far as things stand right now though, it's pretty clean.
B) She has fur. It's no worse than the spandex clad heros they show on the saturday morning cartoons. I mean it's not like it's even anatomicly correct or anything. I'd say it's still a PG avatar.
Well, when it comes to violence, people are routinely murdered and/or dismembered in my strip. I've had an airborne severed thumb, exploding zombies, mafia executions, a severed head in a box, and someone nailed to a ceiling. He survived.
Regarding sex, I've had indirect implication of sexual activity including vocalizations. I've also had pseudo-lesbian sorority girls slowdancing. I've had one appearance of a nipple in an actual strip, and one nipple make an appearance in fanart.
Regarding intolerance, I've had religiously discriminatory commentary pretty much throughout. Hmm, which reminds me, I need to start expanding my scope.
Plenty of profanity. I only self-censored the profanity for the strips I did for a radio station, which they were going to post on their site... but never did. The trollups.
But I also self-rated my site on Guide appropriately.
Regarding sex, I've had indirect implication of sexual activity including vocalizations. I've also had pseudo-lesbian sorority girls slowdancing. I've had one appearance of a nipple in an actual strip, and one nipple make an appearance in fanart.
Regarding intolerance, I've had religiously discriminatory commentary pretty much throughout. Hmm, which reminds me, I need to start expanding my scope.
Plenty of profanity. I only self-censored the profanity for the strips I did for a radio station, which they were going to post on their site... but never did. The trollups.
But I also self-rated my site on Guide appropriately.
Ancient relic of a by-gone era.
My constant web searching has actually come in handy... There is something like this done at Mab’s Land. But it isn't the exact same thing as this, -as it’s a thing for websites- but some comic artists use them on they're sites like Tim of Dragon Tails used to, before he took it down, that is.
- Evil Jamie!
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1408
- Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:19 am
- Location: Tasmania
- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
I originally wanted to make my comic "for mature audience" but seems like I'm not able to do so.

Did you miss anything?JPSloan wrote:Well, when it comes to violence, people are routinely murdered and/or dismembered in my strip. I've had an airborne severed thumb, exploding zombies, mafia executions, a severed head in a box, and someone nailed to a ceiling. He survived.
Regarding sex, I've had indirect implication of sexual activity including vocalizations. I've also had pseudo-lesbian sorority girls slowdancing. I've had one appearance of a nipple in an actual strip, and one nipple make an appearance in fanart.
Regarding intolerance, I've had religiously discriminatory commentary pretty much throughout. Hmm, which reminds me, I need to start expanding my scope.
Plenty of profanity. I only self-censored the profanity for the strips I did for a radio station, which they were going to post on their site... but never did. The trollups.
But I also self-rated my site on Guide appropriately.







