Student cooking.

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

I'm expertising mostly on mexican food. My chilli is proven to be tasty and aaaah-give-me-watter-hot.
But I'll put "Turky with chestnuts" here:

First, you need chestnut puree. I don't care how you get it, by cooking and squishing chestnuts (lotsa work) or just by bying some in a store. They usually have them only in autumn here, so it's my autumn meal.

You also take chicken liver. Chop it and fry it a bit.

Then you might also use some other kind of smoked-up meat. Don't know, really, something neutral, without strong taste. Chop it too.

Mix those three: chestnut puree, fried liver and smokey. You don't need much of any of them: 50g top.

You take thin turkey stakes, they must be thin because you actually roll the chestnut-mix-stuff in them. Yap, roll them and tie each steak with a string, otherwise they might fall apart. Put them in the pan, then in the oven, and, you know, take them out when the turkey is well-done.
It works nice with chicken steaks, too. I tried.

One rolled steak is usually enough for two men. Depends on the size.

User avatar
KittyKatBlack
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 3182
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:56 pm
Location: How the hell should I know? I just live here...
Contact:

Post by KittyKatBlack »

Oh, I remember one time I was making boxed mac & cheese, but realized I was out of milk after already cooking the noodles. Undaunted, I used liquid coffee creamer instead. It wasn't half bad, actually.

User avatar
Axonite
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:06 pm
Location: NEPA
Contact:

Post by Axonite »

sippan wrote:While we're on the subject....wouldn't a comic with recipes be really cool? I think I'll make a special where I teach my 3 readers to make scones. Because I like scones.
I think I used to have (maybe still do) a cookbook with recipes in comic strip form.

User avatar
TheGoobla
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Your anus. (That's how you do a pun, right?)

Post by TheGoobla »

I call this ... "Cool Ranch Sundae"

Essentially, I descovered it on a dare. I made a regular sundae, with shitloads of toppings, and tossed Cool Ranch Dorito's on it.

As I reached down to taste that chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla icecream covered chip, I discovered something startling... it tastes fucking delicious. I managed to convince the darer to taste it, and lo and behold it wasn't just me. It WAS delicious.

Isnt it amazing what combinations of food taste good together?

User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
Posts: 9158
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
Contact:

Post by Yeahduff »

Oh Phalanx, you just need to practice deep frying some more. For one thing, don't overfill the pan. For another, if the oil's getting out of control, turn in down a bit. Homeade fried chicken will beat th good colonel's recipe any day. My Sicilian pasta gravy ain't bad either.
Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

User avatar
Heffaloop
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:49 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Heffaloop »

I still live at home [yay for the Australian education system] and my mother doesn't like it when I walk into the kitchen. Cause there are knives AND fire.
omgwtf

User avatar
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3737
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am
Location: Superglued to the forum by Yeahduff
Contact:

Post by Phalanx »

yeahduff wrote:Oh Phalanx, you just need to practice deep frying some more. For one thing, don't overfill the pan. For another, if the oil's getting out of control, turn in down a bit. Homeade fried chicken will beat th good colonel's recipe any day. My Sicilian pasta gravy ain't bad either.
Oh, I learnt how to do it (without setting of the smoke alarm) now, but that doesn't mean I like it. In the end, I don't find it suitable for a student with constraints on her time. You end up with a lot of surplus oil and a mess ;)

I prefer grilling or stir-frying... Recently I made Nasi Lemak! (Rice cooked in coconut cream with screwpine leaves). Mmm...

Speaking of Coconut... Ryan, were you serious about that exploding coconut? That sounds like some zany science experiment... "How to make nitroglycerin from coconut".

ps: Superlance: That Gumbo looks good! I might try it but I have no idea what okra is...
Image
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

Phalanx wrote:Speaking of Coconut... Ryan, were you serious about that exploding coconut? That sounds like some zany science experiment... "How to make nitroglycerin from coconut".
Very serious. I'll do four or five at a time; maybe one will crack. The rest are high-pressure vessels just waiting to detonate. Then, I have coconut, pressure-cooked in coconut milk. Mmmmmmmmm...
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
KittyKatBlack
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 3182
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:56 pm
Location: How the hell should I know? I just live here...
Contact:

Post by KittyKatBlack »

rkolter wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Speaking of Coconut... Ryan, were you serious about that exploding coconut? That sounds like some zany science experiment... "How to make nitroglycerin from coconut".
Very serious. I'll do four or five at a time; maybe one will crack. The rest are high-pressure vessels just waiting to detonate. Then, I have coconut, pressure-cooked in coconut milk. Mmmmmmmmm...
Well, it's good to know you can make hand grenades out of coconuts... you know, if you're ever stranded on a desert island with only coconuts as a weapon against a bunch of pirates...

User avatar
LAGtheNoggin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: the sea side
Contact:

Post by LAGtheNoggin »

Okra, Ochra, Ocra (all spellings are applicable);
A tall tropical Asian annual plant (Abelmoschus esculentus) widely cultivated in warm regions for its edible, mucilaginous green pods.

Otherwise known as Lady's Fingers. Quite possibly my most disliked food stuff in existence, but I'll still eat 'em ^_^

User avatar
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6334
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:15 pm
Location: in your grandpa's clothes, I look incredible
Contact:

Post by Sortelli »

At a buffet I accidentally dropped cubes of turkey into my chocolate pudding.

Delicious.


Ate lots of pasta as a bachelor, but it helped that I was raised on the stuff if you didn't already guess... 8)

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

LAGtheNoggin wrote:Okra, Ochra, Ocra (all spellings are applicable);
A tall tropical Asian annual plant (Abelmoschus esculentus) widely cultivated in warm regions for its edible, mucilaginous green pods.

Otherwise known as Lady's Fingers. Quite possibly my most disliked food stuff in existence, but I'll still eat 'em ^_^
Not to state the obvious question, but if you dislike them so much, why do you eat them?
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
LAGtheNoggin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: the sea side
Contact:

Post by LAGtheNoggin »

I love food! If it's food I'll eat it, pretty simple really.

Which is odd coming from someone deemed 'seriously underweight' by my docter... Or perhaps that's why I'll eat anything...

User avatar
Superlance
Regular Poster
Posts: 974
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:12 am
Location: ASMS, Mobile
Contact:

Post by Superlance »

LAGtheNoggin wrote:Okra, Ochra, Ocra (all spellings are applicable);
A tall tropical Asian annual plant (Abelmoschus esculentus) widely cultivated in warm regions for its edible, mucilaginous green pods.

Otherwise known as Lady's Fingers. Quite possibly my most disliked food stuff in existence, but I'll still eat 'em ^_^
How can you not like okra?
Ok, I don't like it plain; but how can you not like fried okra?
With hot sauce?

I put tabasco sauce on everything; grits, okra, pizza, chicken and dumplings, mashed potatoes, ice cream, hushpuppies...
Oo, hushpuppies...
Hushpuppies and catfish...
Now I'm hungry, and frying fish is messy...
Blackening fish is even messier though; and makes a lot of smoke.
It's best to blacken fish outside unless you wish to blacken your walls as well.

Brockway: Oh, yes, I love seafood gumbo (as long as it has real crab meat); but the chicken one is just as good, and takes less time to cook!!

But, one of my favorite foods is raw oysters on the half-shell.
From Wintezells Oyster House. :D
Image

ASMS: The school for the criminally insane.
They put us here to keep up away from the normal people.
You feared Algebra in high school? Integral Calculus is a required class here.

User avatar
DEVO-Bot
Regular Poster
Posts: 873
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:41 pm
Location: College, CA
Contact:

Post by DEVO-Bot »

Gumbo. Is. So. Good.

Although my favorite stew I ever had was some Bouillabaisse I made entirely from scratch, took forever, but boy was it awesome.
<KensouX> DEVO-Bot spouts out the mad phrases, tweekin' your brain harder than 35 cocaine cases.
Image

Now Alive Again

User avatar
Brockway
Dirty Old Man
Posts: 3046
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:57 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by Brockway »

Superlance wrote:
LAGtheNoggin wrote:Okra, Ochra, Ocra (all spellings are applicable);
A tall tropical Asian annual plant (Abelmoschus esculentus) widely cultivated in warm regions for its edible, mucilaginous green pods.

Otherwise known as Lady's Fingers. Quite possibly my most disliked food stuff in existence, but I'll still eat 'em ^_^
How can you not like okra?
Ok, I don't like it plain; but how can you not like fried okra?
With hot sauce?

I put tabasco sauce on everything; grits, okra, pizza, chicken and dumplings, mashed potatoes, ice cream, hushpuppies...
Oo, hushpuppies...
Hushpuppies and catfish...
Now I'm hungry, and frying fish is messy...
Blackening fish is even messier though; and makes a lot of smoke.
It's best to blacken fish outside unless you wish to blacken your walls as well.

Brockway: Oh, yes, I love seafood gumbo (as long as it has real crab meat); but the chicken one is just as good, and takes less time to cook!!

But, one of my favorite foods is raw oysters on the half-shell.
From Wintezells Oyster House. :D
They have the acme oyster house down here on bourbon street. I like to go down there on sundays to watch football and eat oysters at the bar. You can get a dozen for like $7. They have a live webcam here: http://nola.com/oystercam/ . You'll probably see me up there for the Super Bowl next week! I'll be the oddly underaged looking guy at the bar. The gumbo recipe I use is here: http://southernfood.about.com/library/r ... 00109b.htm , although I use lard instead of bacon grease to make the roux. You have to buy $20 worth of crab meat (only 2 cups!) damn inflation. Tastes great though.
Image
Sharp Hall. - Ya know... don't even go there. Very NSFW

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

Peel-a-Pound Soup

3 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of corn nibblets
1lb carrots
1lb celery
3-5 jalipenos
2-3 bunches green onions

* other ingredients (add to taste)
Cabbage
Bell Peppers
baby onions

finely chop the jalipenos and green onions.
Chop the celery and carrots into small pieces.
Mix everything together with 4 cups water in large pot.
Season with ground black pepper, basil, and salt.
Slow-cook for 4-6 hours, stirring each hour, cover when not stirring.

Serve.

It's called Peel-a-Pound soup because although it's tasty and filling, your body burns more calories processing it than it gets from the soup. It's also extremely low carbohydrate (remove the corn), and packed with vitamins.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

ZOMBIE USER 17345
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am

Two words!

Post by ZOMBIE USER 17345 »

Cinnamon, garlic.

Know it. Live it. Eat it.

User avatar
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3737
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am
Location: Superglued to the forum by Yeahduff
Contact:

Post by Phalanx »

LAGtheNoggin wrote:Okra, Ochra, Ocra (all spellings are applicable);
A tall tropical Asian annual plant (Abelmoschus esculentus) widely cultivated in warm regions for its edible, mucilaginous green pods.

Otherwise known as Lady's Fingers. Quite possibly my most disliked food stuff in existence, but I'll still eat 'em ^_^
Oh! That! They call them bendi where I come from.

They're ok, but I don't like them for the same reason I don't like aubergines (eggplants), they're slimy when cooked.

Unless fried. Nothing is slimy after fried.

Banana or jackfruit fritters, anyone?

I know a pasta dish that is mostly olive oil and garlic. Keep away from your friends after eating if you want to keep them as friends.
Image
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

User avatar
Brockway
Dirty Old Man
Posts: 3046
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:57 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by Brockway »

I once read a national geographic about italy's olive oil crop, and heard that it tasted good if you drink it plain (at least thats what I gathered from the article.) So I went out and bought a small bottle of virgin italian olive oil so I could drink it... in hindsite, maybe I bought the wrong type, or maybe italians have wierd taste (doubt that, I love italian food) or national geographic is a bunch of lying bastards that ran a story for the sole purpose of secretly documenting how gullible I could be and to see what they could get me to drink... Still, the article made it sound good! Just a weird little anecdote from me.
Image
Sharp Hall. - Ya know... don't even go there. Very NSFW

Post Reply