Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3245
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by VeryCuddlyCornpone »

Oh wow, I actually thought Scott Pilgrim right away, but thought it was too obvious. It's weird, because I never actually saw that movie. Well, well played everyone!
Image
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
Posts: 9158
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by Yeahduff »

Everyone stop talking about hipsters.
Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by McDuffies »

Bustertheclown wrote: Anyways, Laem, it seems you've won the round. Apparently, it's from Scott Pilgrim vs. The Universe? Anyhoo, you're up!
No! Me!
Attachments
pipd.jpg
pipd.jpg (30.73 KiB) Viewed 3985 times

User avatar
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1140
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Brisvegas
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by RobboAKAscooby »

It looks like 90s Disney or Nickelodeon TV style but I can't place it...
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff

User avatar
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3269
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:10 am
Location: I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by Laemkral »

Found it, but I used Google and YouTube turned up the cartoon, so I'm going to abstain from this round.
Avatar courtesy of Fading Aura.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.

User avatar
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2390
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
Location: ATOMIC!
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by Bustertheclown »

McDuffies wrote: No! Me!
Sorry.
Laemkral wrote:Found it, but I used Google and YouTube turned up the cartoon, so I'm going to abstain from this round.
Nothing in the rules against sleuthing. Instant info at our fingertips is part of the challenge!
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by McDuffies »

Laemkral wrote:Found it, but I used Google and YouTube turned up the cartoon, so I'm going to abstain from this round.
what the hell did you type into google?

User avatar
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3269
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:10 am
Location: I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by Laemkral »

Nickelodeon cartoon guinea pigs. I got the animation style wrong, but that still yielded the result. The cartoon is "Pigs Is Pigs" from Walt Disney animation, 1954.

Also, I abstain from providing a still because im on my iPad and can't download an image and rename it so just looking at the image name doesn't give away the answer.
Avatar courtesy of Fading Aura.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by McDuffies »

Oh the irony, I had more trouble finding a decent still from the cartoon by just searching it by it's name.

User avatar
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4667
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: bat country
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by LibertyCabbage »

Image
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"

User avatar
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3660
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
Location: My little office
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by IVstudios »

That's gotta be Tommy Wiseau in The Room.

User avatar
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4667
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: bat country
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by LibertyCabbage »

IVstudios wrote:That's gotta be Tommy Wiseau in The Room.
Hi, doggie! I wasn't sure if it'd be too easy or too hard to guess.

As an aside, I vaguely recall seeing Linkara show up in a video review of The Room done by The Nostalgia Critic.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"

User avatar
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3660
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
Location: My little office
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by IVstudios »

Yeah, he's internet famous for Atop the Fourth Wall at ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com. They do crossovers all the time there. He was also in one of the NCs Star Trek reviews.

And now it's my turn!
Image

That lady shouldn't be holding that gun by the barrel, she'll burn her hand!

User avatar
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1140
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Brisvegas
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by RobboAKAscooby »

The Amazing Screw-On Head - never heard of it, but the style looked familiar...so yeah googled it.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff

User avatar
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3660
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
Location: My little office
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by IVstudios »

Well, that was quick.

But yes! A winner is you!

User avatar
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1140
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Brisvegas
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by RobboAKAscooby »

This could be either hard or remarkably easy...
guessme.jpg
guessme.jpg (26.52 KiB) Viewed 3935 times
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by McDuffies »

Argh linkara... he pops up in Nostalgia Critic videos all the time and he just isn't any funny. He flails his arms about, overemphasizes every word he says, thinks that yelling loud makes everything funny... in short he's desperate to imitate NC's shtick without understanding or managing to replicate NC's absurdity and helplessness and whatever it is that makes him moderately entertaining. To his defense, all of other reviewers are doing the same and none of them are funny either, but Linkara seems to hoard crossovers more than others.

I understand that Doug Walker is getting pretty tired of this gig and wants to drum up traffic so he can have revenue from the site after he inevitably quits, but dude - if I wanted to watch other series on that site, I would watch them. But I don't, because they suck. So stop trying to make me watch it. Better yet, find a guy or two who are interesting on their own and not just by association with you, and maybe you won't need pointless crossovers at all.

User avatar
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3245
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by VeryCuddlyCornpone »

A wee derail- I'm not sure if it's just my perception or if it's actually happening, but I haven't been enjoying the NC lately as much as I used to. I usually get a few chuck,es out of his videos now, but I remember them being way funnier. Again, maybe it's just me, maybe I just found it more appealing when I first found that site and watched all the NC videos quite rapidly.
Image
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

User avatar
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3660
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
Location: My little office
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by IVstudios »

My general feeling on the NC, (and AT4W) is that the reviews themselves are very entertaining, but I can do without the skits*. They are rarely funny, usually way too long and almost never add anything to the reviews. The harder the NC tires to be funny the less funny he is. There's nothing that causes me to lose interest faster than when in the middle of a review the NC brings everything to a screeching halt so he can talk to himself for 2 minutes.

*To be fair I find this true of most any internet review show. The good ones have the common sense to realize most viewers aren't interested in the skits and either a) Put them at the end where the people who are interested in them can watch them and those who aren't can just skip them or b). Break them up into short chunks (≈20 seconds or less) and disperse them throughout the video so that they are short enough that they don't break the viewers interest.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: Let's play: Where'd It Come From?!

Post by McDuffies »

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:A wee derail- I'm not sure if it's just my perception or if it's actually happening, but I haven't been enjoying the NC lately as much as I used to. I usually get a few chuck,es out of his videos now, but I remember them being way funnier. Again, maybe it's just me, maybe I just found it more appealing when I first found that site and watched all the NC videos quite rapidly.
I too think he's getting worse. All the episodes that I really liked are rather old... I think for starters, he nowadays chooses really boring films, or films similar to films he's already done (hence similar jokes)... the serials are the worst, like when he does all star trek films is sequence (groan) or does a string or horror films or sequels... those seem like a guy getting through his day job more than anything... I liked the commercials which means that he still has it in him when he manages to find something fresh to comment. But he also doesn't try as much anymore, there's not nearly as much technically savvy moments like film re-cuts or animations or manipulations with the point of view, things that were the best jokes in his old clips. He seems aware of all of it though, but he quit his day job, so not much options.
Nowadays I find clips where he speaks in his own voice much more interesting. Like his walkthrough through Disney animated films. Nevermind that I disagreed with him on nearly every film, he has a sort of literate and non-intrusive way of expressing it. If he has a long-term future in business, it's with this kind of clips.
My general feeling on the NC, (and AT4W) is that the reviews themselves are very entertaining, but I can do without the skits*. They are rarely funny, usually way too long and almost never add anything to the reviews. The harder the NC tires to be funny the less funny he is. There's nothing that causes me to lose interest faster than when in the middle of a review the NC brings everything to a screeching halt so he can talk to himself for 2 minutes.
Yeah, I don't like when NC is away from the movie for more than 10 or 20 sec... like when he uses a shotgun to shoot the movie or one of his crew turns to a dinosaur or whatever, and then enthusiastically talks about it in comments as if they're not the most obvious things he could do... I don't like when he sticks too close to the movie either, like *show clip* *comment on it* *show clip* *comment on it* structure. It's best when there are skits that are very short and directly address what's happening in the movie, such as when he re-cuts or re-dubs the scene from the movie.

Post Reply