Movies: What makes and impact with you?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
SamSim
Regular Poster
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:38 pm
Contact:

Post by SamSim »

grabmygoblin wrote:oh come on, don't pick on the simpsons, its a classic that still has laughs. my question is why did they cancel futurama when they keep cranking out these awful live action shows? did anyone see the premiere of that show with molly shannon? blaeck!
The Simpsons hit a massive low in season 11 but has since managed to pull itself out of the nosedive. (It's now on series 15.) While there is clearly very little room for imaginative storylines anymore, recent episodes make up for it by being very, very funny. I think they got some of the good writers from seasons 3-5 back. Still, I think the formula is getting too old, and Futurama was the way forward. Stupid Fox.

There is indeed a Simpsons movie in development, tentatively expected in 2006, and personally I'm quite optimistic. In fact the main voice cast of The Simpsons has three movies stipulated in their contracts.

What I'd really like to see is what would happen if they just let everybody on The Simpsons age five years. Or I wouldn't mind seeing some episodes which didn't necessarily involve the main five Simpsons in any way at all. The show is too tied down in that respect. Like, let's see what kinds of adventure Otto gets up to, or Duffman.
Image

User avatar
Brockway
Dirty Old Man
Posts: 3046
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:57 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by Brockway »

What I'd really like to see is what would happen if they just let everybody on The Simpsons age five years. Or I wouldn't mind seeing some episodes which didn't necessarily involve the main five Simpsons in any way at all. The show is too tied down in that respect. Like, let's see what kinds of adventure Otto gets up to, or Duffman.
They've done those already. The future simpsons one was used in the one about the time stopping watch with him and millhouse, the one with the itchy and scratchy movie and bart becoming a supreme court judge, the one where lisa becomes president and bart and ralph are in a band, the one with the fortune teller who tells her of her near husband hugh and bart is preparing to go to law school, and probably a couple other times. There were several that centered around the periphery characters, most of which were set to music.
Image
Sharp Hall. - Ya know... don't even go there. Very NSFW

User avatar
Bright spark
Regular Poster
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:19 am
Location: Perth, Australia
Contact:

Post by Bright spark »

brockway wrote:
What I'd really like to see is what would happen if they just let everybody on The Simpsons age five years. Or I wouldn't mind seeing some episodes which didn't necessarily involve the main five Simpsons in any way at all. The show is too tied down in that respect. Like, let's see what kinds of adventure Otto gets up to, or Duffman.
They've done those already. The future simpsons one was used in the one about the time stopping watch with him and millhouse, the one with the itchy and scratchy movie and bart becoming a supreme court judge, the one where lisa becomes president and bart and ralph are in a band, the one with the fortune teller who tells her of her near husband hugh and bart is preparing to go to law school, and probably a couple other times. There were several that centered around the periphery characters, most of which were set to music.
Damn, that's impressive.





and a little bit sad as well
Go on, check it out


http://brightspark.keenspace.com- is now dead, but drop by and pay your respects.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~misjed/- my sisters comic, be nice to her and she'll be nice to me.

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

brockway wrote:
What I'd really like to see is what would happen if they just let everybody on The Simpsons age five years. Or I wouldn't mind seeing some episodes which didn't necessarily involve the main five Simpsons in any way at all. The show is too tied down in that respect. Like, let's see what kinds of adventure Otto gets up to, or Duffman.
They've done those already. The future simpsons one was used in the one about the time stopping watch with him and millhouse, the one with the itchy and scratchy movie and bart becoming a supreme court judge, the one where lisa becomes president and bart and ralph are in a band, the one with the fortune teller who tells her of her near husband hugh and bart is preparing to go to law school, and probably a couple other times. There were several that centered around the periphery characters, most of which were set to music.

I love that episode where the grown up Bart looks exactly like Homer and together they manage to set fire to the flag during a BBQ in front of Lisa and her prospective husband (or something along those lines)!

But the best vision of the future is where Homer imagines he's dead and his funeral is attended by Archbishop Flanders, Hollywood Mega Star Barney, and President Lenny (who's never managed to make a single descision in his life!).
And then when he wakes up he rushes over to Marge and begs her, "Marge, whatever happens in the future, tell me you won't vote for Lenny!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:28 am
Location: nowhere

Post by YarpsDat »

fi13r wrote: ...And speaking of classic all-audience novels from a hundred years ago with masterful book illustrators, has anyone else ever noticed that there has NEVER been a faithful adaptation of Alice in Wonderland to film or any other medium (American McGee's "Alice" doesn't count because it had a new story)? Personally, I'm partial to thinking Tim Burton's visual style would be perfect for Alice In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass. Both books had a bizarre, whimsical-yet-dark Victorian feel to their prose and original illustrations that I think is very close to Burton's gothicism.
I'm not sure it's even POSSIBLE to make a faithful adaptation of Alice.

But American McGee's "Alice" was cool. Though I kinda hoped for some shrinking-growing thingies... you know, like: you fight ants, and finally you reach the shroom, and then you stomp on them... or travelling the same areas enlarged/reduced, that would be cool... I think.
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.

User avatar
Heffaloop
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:49 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Heffaloop »

I always liked the disney one :X
omgwtf

User avatar
Axonite
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:06 pm
Location: NEPA
Contact:

Post by Axonite »

Okie wrote:I enjoyed Return to Oz. Seeing Dorothy in an asylum...
I had forgotten about Return to Oz... it's one of those movies I'll have to see again some time. I remember at the time it annoyed me for a reason fi13r already mentioned - the way it tried to combine bits of different books. Especially the 'Princess Mombi' character.
I always thought that one of Princess Mombi's heads was played by the actress who played Nyssa on Dr. Who, Sarah Sutton
The 'main' head was played by a Dr. Who companion - Jean Marsh, the actress who played Sara Kingdom in the Daleks Masterplan (and she also appeared in a couple other parts in other stories).

User avatar
Heffaloop
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:49 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Heffaloop »

As a kid, I was SO scared of the Return of Oz. Really really scared.
omgwtf

User avatar
Okie
Regular Poster
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by Okie »

The 'main' head was played by a Dr. Who companion - Jean Marsh, the actress who played Sara Kingdom in the Daleks Masterplan (and she also appeared in a couple other parts in other stories).
I did not know that, but I've never seen the first or second doctor episodes, so I wouldn't have seen her. She was married to Jon Pertwee though.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Mr.Bob wrote: I love that episode where the grown up Bart looks exactly like Homer and together they manage to set fire to the flag during a BBQ in front of Lisa and her prospective husband (or something along those lines)!

But the best vision of the future is where Homer imagines he's dead and his funeral is attended by Archbishop Flanders, Hollywood Mega Star Barney, and President Lenny (who's never managed to make a single descision in his life!).
And then when he wakes up he rushes over to Marge and begs her, "Marge, whatever happens in the future, tell me you won't vote for Lenny!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Heh heh. After that idea I wished that producers had enough courage to age them a couple of years, cause I think they've squeezed all jokes out of current setup. Major supporting character was probably Abu as most of episodes that are not revolving around major four (yes, four) characters, were about him. And I hate that guy, he's so annoying.
I'm not sure it's even POSSIBLE to make a faithful adaptation of Alice.
As Tarkovsky said, if you wanna make a good movie adapting the book, you gotta break book into bits and start from beginning. Quite true, if you notice that the best films by the books are not actually following the book, some of them are even only taking the major premise and working on it. Cause a book is a book and a film is a film, two totally different media.

User avatar
BrownEyedCat
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1848
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:24 pm
Location: Lurking in the Corners
Contact:

Post by BrownEyedCat »

heffaloop wrote:As a kid, I was SO scared of the Return of Oz. Really really scared.
Me too . . . and I only sat through the first fifteen minutes before running.
Image

Image
Previously Catrine until my account crashed.

Fi13r
Regular Poster
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:05 am
Location: The Planet England (Not the COUNTRY... the PLANET)
Contact:

Post by Fi13r »

YarpsDat wrote:
fi13r wrote: ...And speaking of classic all-audience novels from a hundred years ago with masterful book illustrators, has anyone else ever noticed that there has NEVER been a faithful adaptation of Alice in Wonderland to film or any other medium (American McGee's "Alice" doesn't count because it had a new story)? Personally, I'm partial to thinking Tim Burton's visual style would be perfect for Alice In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass. Both books had a bizarre, whimsical-yet-dark Victorian feel to their prose and original illustrations that I think is very close to Burton's gothicism.
I'm not sure it's even POSSIBLE to make a faithful adaptation of Alice.
Oh, I think it is. You just gotta have the right people at the helm, as with anything.

For example, let's use Philip K. Dick as an example:

DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP aka BLADE RUNNER
- DIRECTOR: RIDLEY SCOTT
- STARRING: HARRISON FORD circa 1983
=
RIGHT


PAYCHECK
- DIRECTOR: JOHN WOO
- STARRING: BEN AFFLECK circa EVER
=
WRONG


I used to know a guy from Bungie West (before that arm was dissolved) who said the American McGee people were the most arrogant, self-absorbed people he'd ever met.
Image
What the heck is going on here??


"I am an Automaton Nuclear Neo-Human Android."

User avatar
Sippan
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:54 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by Sippan »

fi13r wrote:I used to know a guy from Bungie West
Sippan is envious, being a huge Bungie fan since 1994. We're talking about the same Bungie, right? =)
Image

Fi13r
Regular Poster
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:05 am
Location: The Planet England (Not the COUNTRY... the PLANET)
Contact:

Post by Fi13r »

sippan wrote:
fi13r wrote:I used to know a guy from Bungie West
Sippan is envious, being a huge Bungie fan since 1994. We're talking about the same Bungie, right? =)
If we're talking about Bungie Software, creators of the best writing ever put into a video game, yes. If we're talking about the inferior, traitorous Microslaves known as Bungie Studios, no.

The guy I knew was only an online acquaintance, Alex Okita. He used to provide me with web hosting, back in the day. Everything on my old website was of a much lesser artistic and creative value than anything I do with my comic strip now, yet it was far more popular because a lot of it had that manga-inspired quality (and even then, it wasn't very refined in technical degrees). Of course, you can see what I learned from that.

His character artwork has an interesting sketchy quality. Tending to be rather flat with regards to facial expression and body language, it derives most of its expressive qualities from the way it's drawn instead (Berke Breathed's inking in Opus kind of reminds me of it, actually).
Image
What the heck is going on here??


"I am an Automaton Nuclear Neo-Human Android."

User avatar
KittyKatBlack
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 3182
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:56 pm
Location: How the hell should I know? I just live here...
Contact:

Post by KittyKatBlack »

heffaloop wrote:As a kid, I was SO scared of the Return of Oz. Really really scared.
Yeah. The wheelies creeped me out. And that desert. I avoided sand for a while after that...

User avatar
Bright spark
Regular Poster
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:19 am
Location: Perth, Australia
Contact:

Post by Bright spark »

KittyKatBlack wrote:
heffaloop wrote:As a kid, I was SO scared of the Return of Oz. Really really scared.
Yeah. The wheelies creeped me out. And that desert. I avoided sand for a while after that...
Why do they even make movies like that for kids??

They creeped me out, still do.

Oh, and The dark Crystal. Danm you skecksies. Creepy bird bastards.
Go on, check it out


http://brightspark.keenspace.com- is now dead, but drop by and pay your respects.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~misjed/- my sisters comic, be nice to her and she'll be nice to me.

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

bright spark wrote: Oh, and The dark Crystal.
FIZGIG! RAAAAH!!

User avatar
Sippan
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:54 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by Sippan »

fi13r wrote:If we're talking about Bungie Software, creators of the best writing ever put into a video game, yes. If we're talking about the inferior, traitorous Microslaves known as Bungie Studios, no.
There, there. Through deep meditation I have come to terms with that and decided that I love Bungie more than I hate Microsoft. And they did manage to maintain the Bungie Spirit. Actually the only difference is that now they have an unlimited budget. MOA HA HA!!
Image

User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
Posts: 9158
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
Contact:

Post by Yeahduff »

bright spark wrote:
Why do they even make movies like that for kids??

They creeped me out, still do.
Why do they even make kids?

THOSE creep me out.
Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

User avatar
Luprand
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:33 pm
Location: Cougar country
Contact:

Post by Luprand »

Mr.Bob wrote:
bright spark wrote: Oh, and The dark Crystal.
FIZGIG! RAAAAH!!
KAMALEA!!!!! Kamalea! Greeee! Greee!

--Sij
Torio - A cartoonist without a plot.
NeTrek and other low-quality scribbles.

Post Reply