So anyone seen a bad movie lately?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3269
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:10 am
Location: I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Contact:

Re: So anyone seen a bad movie lately?

Post by Laemkral »

The Prince Caspian chapter of the narnia movies was blah. It felt even more preachy, with even more thinly veiled Christianity parallels. Yeah, we get it, "only thru Him can you ever do stuff" and faith and things. At least things were a bit darker.

Otherwise, glad I waited until it was only $3 to rent on iTunes.

"Neighbors" with John Belushi and Dan Ackroyd was a horrible movie, and it only cost me 99 cents to watch. No regrets.
Avatar courtesy of Fading Aura.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.

User avatar
Berg
Regular Poster
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:36 pm
Location: Mora di!

Re: So anyone seen a bad movie lately?

Post by Berg »

Laemkral wrote:The Prince Caspian chapter of the narnia movies was blah. It felt even more preachy, with even more thinly veiled Christianity parallels. Yeah, we get it, "only thru Him can you ever do stuff" and faith and things. At least things were a bit darker.
I love that movie. D:

User avatar
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3269
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:10 am
Location: I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Contact:

Re: So anyone seen a bad movie lately?

Post by Laemkral »

I know C.S. Lewis was a die-hard Christian, and the Narnia movies are allegorical towards Christianity. I can put up with it to an extent when its well woven in, but it was just smacking me in the face and I really couldn't enjoy it as much as I could have.

Movie was fine, but it wasn't fantastic.
Avatar courtesy of Fading Aura.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.

User avatar
KWill
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2421
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:37 am
Location: Disappointed
Contact:

Re: So anyone seen a bad movie lately?

Post by KWill »

I saw The Last Legion recently. Plot was... meh. But the setting of having Odacer oust the Roman imperial family is inspiring me...

User avatar
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2390
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
Location: ATOMIC!
Contact:

Re: So anyone seen a bad movie lately?

Post by Bustertheclown »

Laemkral wrote:I know C.S. Lewis was a die-hard Christian, and the Narnia movies are allegorical towards Christianity. I can put up with it to an extent when its well woven in, but it was just smacking me in the face and I really couldn't enjoy it as much as I could have.

Movie was fine, but it wasn't fantastic.
Lewis wasn't merely a die-hard Christian. He was a theologian and Christian author. The Narnia stories aren't just allegorical towards Christianity, they are Christian allegories. Complaining about the Christian themes addressed in Narnia is like going to Red Lobster, and complaining that there's too much shellfish on the menu.

I suggest you avoid Dawn Treader when it comes out. That book almost made me believe in God again.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com

sarahbr11
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:42 am

Re: So anyone seen a bad movie lately?

Post by sarahbr11 »

I loved reading the Narnia books as a kid so I decided to reread them as the movies came out. I still loooooooooove the books, but I haaaaaaaaaaate the movies. I think they're sooooo cheesey and really dumbed down. Lewis meant for there to be an intense Christian allegory in the books. Did you know that he and J.R.R. Tolkien were really good friends and Tolkien used to criticize him for how obvious his allusions were? Just an interesting little fact.

Bad movie I've seen recently: Sleepless in Seatle (and most other chick flicks)

User avatar
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3269
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:10 am
Location: I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Contact:

Re: So anyone seen a bad movie lately?

Post by Laemkral »

Bustertheclown wrote:
Laemkral wrote:I know C.S. Lewis was a die-hard Christian, and the Narnia movies are allegorical towards Christianity. I can put up with it to an extent when its well woven in, but it was just smacking me in the face and I really couldn't enjoy it as much as I could have.

Movie was fine, but it wasn't fantastic.
Lewis wasn't merely a die-hard Christian. He was a theologian and Christian author. The Narnia stories aren't just allegorical towards Christianity, they are Christian allegories. Complaining about the Christian themes addressed in Narnia is like going to Red Lobster, and complaining that there's too much shellfish on the menu.

I suggest you avoid Dawn Treader when it comes out. That book almost made me believe in God again.
Thanks for the advice. For the record, I do believe in God. I just don't believe in THAT God.
Avatar courtesy of Fading Aura.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.

jasonflord25
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: So anyone seen a bad movie lately?

Post by jasonflord25 »

I watch meteor shower I slept beginning to end

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Re: So anyone seen a bad movie lately?

Post by MixedMyth »

that said, I'm not that persuation of christianity and overly christian-centric works usually annoy me to pieces...but for some reason, I do like Narnia. Dawn Treader was actually my favorite book of the lot, too, since it reads like a fun romp of an adventure story.

Okay, actually the last book DID annoy the hell out of me. But it went to crazytown and never came back.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
peterabnny
Regular Poster
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:40 am
Location: Tintoonati, OH
Contact:

Re: So anyone seen a bad movie lately?

Post by peterabnny »

The local Fox affiliate's HD-2 channel plays the finest B and C movies out there. You know, the movies you can only watch when you're drunk. These are movies that do have name-brand stars in them, but they're from the start of their careers and ones that said stars would probably like to forget.
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Image
Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: So anyone seen a bad movie lately?

Post by McDuffies »

peterabnny wrote:The local Fox affiliate's HD-2 channel plays the finest B and C movies out there. You know, the movies you can only watch when you're drunk. These are movies that do have name-brand stars in them, but they're from the start of their careers and ones that said stars would probably like to forget.
Your statement has some contradictions.

Also Magic Christian was awful.

User avatar
Adaz
Regular Poster
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:31 am
Location: Mexico city
Contact:

Re: So anyone seen a bad movie lately?

Post by Adaz »

The Nightmare on Elm Street's remake. While the original might not have been the greatest horror movie of all times, it was entertaining and Freddy became one of modern times' most beloved monsters. The remake is an insipid "jump scare" movie, where the scares were quite predictable, and they ruined Freddy's backstory. So yeah, if you haven't seen it, keep it that way. Worst movie of the year, if you ask me.
ImageImage

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Re: So anyone seen a bad movie lately?

Post by Toxic »

I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry. *Barf*
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Re: So anyone seen a bad movie lately?

Post by Phact0rri »

Adaz wrote:The Nightmare on Elm Street's remake. While the original might have been the greatest horror movie of all times, it was entertaining and Freddy became one of modern times' most beloved monsters.
Fixed for truth. :wink:
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

Post Reply