HWAET!

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Col
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:40 am
Location: Uncertainty
Contact:

Post by Col »

I hate comics called Megatokyo.

User avatar
Godoftarot
Regular Poster
Posts: 911
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:34 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow...
Contact:

Post by Godoftarot »

Col wrote:I hate comics called Megatokyo.
I don't hate Megatokyo. It's not worth expending the energy to hate it.

And three cheers for Merc!
http://godoftarot.keenspace.com
God of Tarot: Giving new meaning to the phrase "Life sucks and then you die."

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Post by Van Douchebag »

Jigglyman wrote:I hate comics that start off by introducing their characters like a bio page or something. You're suppoosed to reveal their personalities though their words and actions, fools. It should be way more subtle.
On a similar note, I hate in fantasy or adventure comics where the origins of characters are immediately revealed and not drawn out.
Image

User avatar
Dotty
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2434
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:29 pm
Location: Drunk!
Contact:

Post by Dotty »

Van Douchebag wrote:
Jigglyman wrote:I hate comics that start off by introducing their characters like a bio page or something. You're suppoosed to reveal their personalities though their words and actions, fools. It should be way more subtle.
On a similar note, I hate in fantasy or adventure comics where the origins of characters are immediately revealed and not drawn out.
Same.
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die

User avatar
BloodKnight
Regular Poster
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:52 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contact:

Post by BloodKnight »

Jigglyman wrote:I hate comics that start off by introducing their characters like a bio page or something. You're suppoosed to reveal their personalities though their words and actions, fools. It should be way more subtle.
Same.

I remember reading one comic where they spent like 10 pages describing the background, how magic worked, the characters, and villians of the story.

The description of the villian literally said "These are the villians of the story."

*shudder*
- Mark Iradian
Writer of Chronicles of Garas (A dark tech fantasy webcomic)
Image
Visit my LiveJournal

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Van Douchebag wrote:
Jigglyman wrote:I hate comics that start off by introducing their characters like a bio page or something. You're suppoosed to reveal their personalities though their words and actions, fools. It should be way more subtle.
On a similar note, I hate in fantasy or adventure comics where the origins of characters are immediately revealed and not drawn out.
I, on the other hand, hate when in comics everything has to be told through flashbacks, even things that are totally uninteresting and that are not worth the space needed for flashback.

Waf
Regular Poster
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:18 pm

Post by Waf »

What about flash backs al la family guy?
Image

User avatar
Dotty
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2434
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:29 pm
Location: Drunk!
Contact:

Post by Dotty »

mcDuffies wrote:
Van Douchebag wrote:
Jigglyman wrote:I hate comics that start off by introducing their characters like a bio page or something. You're suppoosed to reveal their personalities though their words and actions, fools. It should be way more subtle.
On a similar note, I hate in fantasy or adventure comics where the origins of characters are immediately revealed and not drawn out.
I, on the other hand, hate when in comics everything has to be told through flashbacks, even things that are totally uninteresting and that are not worth the space needed for flashback.
Hrm. Maybe I misunderstood. I don't like when ALL characters are immediately explained. I don't like it when NONE are explained, but I do enjoy a good flashback or two. I'm the guy who likes SOME flashback and SOME blatent explaination.

I really should have worded that better than "same." I mean...heck, I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

Agree to disagree, then?
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die

User avatar
BloodKnight
Regular Poster
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:52 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contact:

Post by BloodKnight »

Waf wrote:What about flash backs al la family guy?
Family Guy can do it because they do it well.

*cuddles with his Family Guy DVDs*
- Mark Iradian
Writer of Chronicles of Garas (A dark tech fantasy webcomic)
Image
Visit my LiveJournal

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

Someone compared my comic to Family Guy the other day.

It was like the best compliment I ever got. :D
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1456
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:48 pm
Location: Pacific NW
Contact:

Post by [geoduck] »

Joel Fagin wrote:
[geoduck] wrote:This is why I took a cue from Red Dwarf and created "fake" profanity for my strip.
It's not fake. Check a dictionary.
Yes, the term RD uses is a real word, and describes something extremely disgusting, but it's not real-life profanity.



Changing the subject entirely, another major pet-peeve I forgot to mention is comics that don't put the smegging comic out on the main smegging page, but make you hunt around for a link in reams of text.
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
Image

User avatar
Smight
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 am
Location: A Dark Place
Contact:

Post by Smight »

*looks up definition*

Hmmmm doesn't seem to exist outside of red dwarf...

*Checks RD discussion boards*

Smeg = Smegma

*looks up definition*

So THAT'S what it's called!!!!!!

*Dives out the window*






I hate comics that look like they were drawn with a smegstick dipped in smegrot.
I remember caring... It was nice.

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Post by Van Douchebag »

Driving Without Pants wrote:Someone compared my comic to Family Guy the other day.

It was like the best compliment I ever got. :D
Yeah, that was me... the Douchemeister.
Image

User avatar
Kevin Wolf
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Walking the Earth.
Contact:

Post by Kevin Wolf »

Van Douchebag wrote:*bursts out laughing*


... man, this lesbian avatar makes EVERYTHING great!
*jumps on bandwagon*
Of course, I'm the one that isn't JP Sloan or Jim North.

BLOGTRONIC Text Server

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

No, it's not.

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

What is this word that everyone keeps talking about?
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Cope
Incompetent Monster
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Masked man of mystery
Contact:

Post by Cope »

TheLoserHero wrote:...um, not "hate", really, but I just find it a tad inconvenient when comics have lots of images on their home page. I'm on the fake internet (56k) so it'll take me a while to load it.

Additionally, archives shouldn't have lots of images either... I need to thumb through that, ya know?
As yet another poor sap on dialup, I think this bears repeating.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

User avatar
Isukiyomi
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2446
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:08 am
Location: The Big Apple
Contact:

Post by Isukiyomi »

Cope wrote:
TheLoserHero wrote:...um, not "hate", really, but I just find it a tad inconvenient when comics have lots of images on their home page. I'm on the fake internet (56k) so it'll take me a while to load it.

Additionally, archives shouldn't have lots of images either... I need to thumb through that, ya know?
As yet another poor sap on dialup, I think this bears repeating.
I was liberated from the shackles of the 56K last summer and I've never looked back. Speaking of which, does anyone know how much it is to hook up four computers (with a cable modem)so that they can all be online at the same time ?
Last edited by Isukiyomi on Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valar Morghulis - Michiko Monogatari & Tehuti

User avatar
Kevin Wolf
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Walking the Earth.
Contact:

Post by Kevin Wolf »

Driving Without Pants wrote:What is this word that everyone keeps talking about?
"portcullis"
Of course, I'm the one that isn't JP Sloan or Jim North.

BLOGTRONIC Text Server

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

"Portcullis" is absolutely a real word. A portcullis is one of those large gates made out of crossed strips of iron, usually with big spikes at the bottom, that are found on most castles. The symbol of British Parliament is a portcullis:

Image
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

Post Reply