Californian Webcomic Folks?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
DJMayhem
cor leonis
Posts: 3651
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:47 pm
Contact:

Post by DJMayhem »

The Neko wrote:San Diego is an anomaly for southern CA. It's a millitary town, and a biomedical community, so it has a different culture from LA.
Don't forget the border town mentality.
Jen_Babcock wrote:
Isukiyomi wrote:
chibiartstudios wrote:Um... You DO realise that most people here havent seen the bizzarely agressive cheese ad campaign for CA right?

Has anyone out of state seen those?
Is it something like good cheese come from happy cows and happy cows come from California? If this is it, then I've seen it.
Yeah, those are how most of the cheese commercials go, but there have been a couple without the cow.

In LA County, I see a lot of Valley girl/Surfer dude accents. Valley girls are usually in West LA or in any major shopping area, and Surfer dude accents are found in major beach communities (though not so much in Santa Monica).
You can't forget the ghetto accent. That's all I hear at school. Half of the students there end every sentence with "dawg" and have the vocabulary of a five year old. I only hear the valley girls in La Canada (which is a rich town) or in the shopping malls, where they prey on shallow men.
You know, i should work on this.

User avatar
DJMayhem
cor leonis
Posts: 3651
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:47 pm
Contact:

Post by DJMayhem »

And I thought we were insane...

http://www.battle.net/forums/war3/threa ... #new314573

.......crap. I posted in the wrong thread.
Last edited by DJMayhem on Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know, i should work on this.

User avatar
Luprand
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:33 pm
Location: Cougar country
Contact:

Post by Luprand »

That voting machine thing was hilarious.

--Sij
Torio - A cartoonist without a plot.
NeTrek and other low-quality scribbles.

User avatar
Pockybot
Regular Poster
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Sacramento CA
Contact:

Post by Pockybot »

Teammayhem wrote: You can't forget the ghetto accent. That's all I hear at school. Half of the students there end every sentence with "dawg" and have the vocabulary of a five year old. I only hear the valley girls in La Canada (which is a rich town) or in the shopping malls, where they prey on shallow men.
"Dawg"? That was ten years ago, I thought it was "a'ight holla at a nigga!" these days. The surfer thing reminds me of the mid 80's. When I hear people say "dude, like totally!" I think of when I was a kid growing up in the 80's. Rad need to come back tho. The "omg liek totally ashley" thing is the way most preteen to late teen and early twenties affluent suburban girls talk in California.

I can't wait til the words holocaust, tumbleweeds, slutty, and Lincoln's Top Hat become big American youth slang terms.

Jen_Babcock
Regular Poster
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Los Angeles/ New York City

Post by Jen_Babcock »

There's still a sizeable population down here that say "dawg" or "homie" (not so much homie though)
Image

User avatar
Chibiartstudios
Regular Poster
Posts: 978
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:33 pm
Location: Right behind you!
Contact:

Post by Chibiartstudios »

The Neko wrote:San Diego is an anomaly for southern CA. It's a millitary town, and a biomedical community, so it has a different culture from LA.
That's for damn sure. People seem more.... I don't know... Sane in SD.

And yes. I have heard "Dawg" many a time. Bling-Bling was in for a while though I haven't heard it widely used for a while now.

...Thank. God.

Hella is rare around here. So are surfer accents (I've only heard about 3 people with those) and valley girl accents are mild. Like, you know is used alot though.

I actually LIKE Arnold as a governor. In adition to being a sinical bugger I am also a Democrat so I expected to hate him. However he's had more GOOD ideas in his miniascule time as govenor than I think I've heard from all the other CA politicians combined!

Fun fact! Poeple in California, minus the berkley area, are actualy moderate! We are just represented by looney left wingers (again, coming from a Democrat). Can I hear you say voting rights for 14 year olds? Halelujia!

I will say one nice thing about California though. The weather is gre-

*Looks outside*

Never mind.

And yes. Those where the EXACT cheese ads I was talking about. What about the dairy ads. Have you seen those? You know. With the talking cows I believe?
Help me live my childhood dream of becoming the head of an evil corrupt corporate conglomorate:
Image

User avatar
DJMayhem
cor leonis
Posts: 3651
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:47 pm
Contact:

Post by DJMayhem »

If San Diego is sane, then LA must be home of the insane. We are the home of the traffic, bad drivers, and stupid education system.

On the radio this morning, I heard an actual 911 call by a woman at a Carl's Jr. who wanted the cops to come and get the people to make her Bacon Cheeseburger right. Only in LA, I guess.
You know, i should work on this.

User avatar
Crazy Chris
Regular Poster
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:55 pm
Location: Laca
Contact:

Post by Crazy Chris »

chibiartstudios wrote:I will say one nice thing about California though. The weather is gre-

*Looks outside*

Never mind.
Oh god, the weather

User avatar
Leko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Wandering my psyche in search of my mind
Contact:

Post by Leko »

Actually, it makes sense that Ahnold would be a pretty good governor. He hasn't been making a career of it, so he's not knee deep in corruption and falsehoods like a lot of politicians seem to be, and he's a pretty well-known figure without campaigns, so he can probably both get more people to vote for him and get away with plans and things that other politicians wouldn't think of or ever dare to try.
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

User avatar
NightshadeTea
Regular Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:33 pm
Contact:

Post by NightshadeTea »

San Jo, Cali, baby! :3

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

NightshadeTea wrote:San Jo, Cali, baby! :3
Word, my San Jo bro!
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
NightshadeTea
Regular Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:33 pm
Contact:

Post by NightshadeTea »

Toxic wrote:
NightshadeTea wrote:San Jo, Cali, baby! :3
Word, my San Jo bro!
Sistah, actually, but your way rhymes, so I'll accept it. :3
~*WARNING*~ I randomly PM. Do not be alarmed if I try to steal your brains and make you a zombie warrior. Just Relax and give in. Thank you.
~The Management

Image

User avatar
Pockybot
Regular Poster
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Sacramento CA
Contact:

Post by Pockybot »

I'm not one for the republican agenda orany form of conservatism(not a big leftist either), but I *love* Arnold as governor. He actually smiles, seems friendly, ad I was a fan of him two decades ago. So yeah, we got the biggest action movie star as governor, and beeeeyoutiful weather:) (looks outside, yep, nice and sunny!)

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

I've been really happy with Arnold as governor. He just tends to make more sense than anyone else. He's the most moderate candidate I've seen so far, which suits my beliefs fairly well.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
NightshadeTea
Regular Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:33 pm
Contact:

Post by NightshadeTea »

Better than a porn star, I guess...
~*WARNING*~ I randomly PM. Do not be alarmed if I try to steal your brains and make you a zombie warrior. Just Relax and give in. Thank you.
~The Management

Image

User avatar
DJMayhem
cor leonis
Posts: 3651
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:47 pm
Contact:

Post by DJMayhem »

Well yeah, Arnold is doing a decent job. I don't really like the measures he's doing with the whole patient to nurse ratio (even with all of SoCal's emergency rooms closing)
You know, i should work on this.

User avatar
Crazy Chris
Regular Poster
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:55 pm
Location: Laca
Contact:

Post by Crazy Chris »

So Arnold isn't intersted enough in most of the issues to be bribed or pursuaded either way. That might be the best we can get.

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

NightshadeTea wrote:
Toxic wrote:
NightshadeTea wrote:San Jo, Cali, baby! :3
Word, my San Jo bro!
Sistah, actually, but your way rhymes, so I'll accept it. :3
Hehe...

Actually, I only go to school in San Jose.

I'm a native San Franciscan. I should mention I'm a real San Franciscan (actually living in the city), not one of those Marin or Daly City wannabes. :roll:
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
Chibiartstudios
Regular Poster
Posts: 978
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:33 pm
Location: Right behind you!
Contact:

Post by Chibiartstudios »

Teammayhem wrote:Well yeah, Arnold is doing a decent job. I don't really like the measures he's doing with the whole patient to nurse ratio (even with all of SoCal's emergency rooms closing)
That was my instinct as well, but I see where it's going as it's not just a little amount of money hospitals are loosing. It's ALOT. But I'm not an insider so I have no idea what the figgures are. So on that one I may just end up withholding my vote. Yes, some people should NOT vote on some things.
Help me live my childhood dream of becoming the head of an evil corrupt corporate conglomorate:
Image

User avatar
Pockybot
Regular Poster
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Sacramento CA
Contact:

Post by Pockybot »

Toxic wrote:
NightshadeTea wrote:
Toxic wrote: Word, my San Jo bro!
Sistah, actually, but your way rhymes, so I'll accept it. :3
Hehe...

Actually, I only go to school in San Jose.

I'm a native San Franciscan. I should mention I'm a real San Franciscan (actually living in the city), not one of those Marin or Daly City wannabes. :roll:
I've been going to SF so regularly every week for ages, I feel like I live there. Only problem is I want to punch those indie hipster emo thrift store idiots and mimes in the face:)

Post Reply