HWAET!

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

Your link keeps redirecting me to HERE
God damnit, I hate my hosting service. I would probably go back to Keenspace, but I want to keep the sidwood.net domain...

Try going to http://sidwood.net/oldcomics.html and clicking on the first link.
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2390
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
Location: ATOMIC!
Contact:

Post by Bustertheclown »

Driving Without Pants wrote:
Your link keeps redirecting me to HERE
God damnit, I hate my hosting service. I would probably go back to Keenspace, but I want to keep the sidwood.net domain...

Try going to http://sidwood.net/oldcomics.html and clicking on the first link.
Your comics are hilarious!
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com

User avatar
Taiwanimation
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Fremont, CA
Contact:

Post by Taiwanimation »

You can't use URL frame or forwarding?
Image

User avatar
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!
Posts: 2725
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 11:35 am
Location: Hrmph.
Contact:

Post by Komiyan »

Driving Without Pants wrote:There's a lot of people decrying the use of "I'm bored, let's start a webcomic!" to begin their strip. I'm just curious, how did you choose to begin your strips?

I did this.
I killed my main character.
Image
Image

User avatar
Godoftarot
Regular Poster
Posts: 911
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:34 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow...
Contact:

Post by Godoftarot »

Komiyan wrote:
Driving Without Pants wrote:There's a lot of people decrying the use of "I'm bored, let's start a webcomic!" to begin their strip. I'm just curious, how did you choose to begin your strips?

I did this.
I killed my main character.
So did I. :o
http://godoftarot.keenspace.com
God of Tarot: Giving new meaning to the phrase "Life sucks and then you die."

User avatar
Jeffy
Regular Poster
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:05 pm
Location: someplace trying to get myself to draw
Contact:

Post by Jeffy »

Van Douchebag wrote:*bursts out laughing*


... man, this lesbian avatar makes EVERYTHING great!
i have to agree...
Image

User avatar
Sippan
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:54 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by Sippan »

I have to add something I realized the other day, that can really spoil an otherwise good comic... David Hasselhoff.
Image

User avatar
BOMC
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:13 am
Location: with your mom

Post by BOMC »

There are very few things that will turn me off a webcomic:

1) Unoriginality. There is not one jokes in there that I didn not see coming, or that I haven't heard before. I swear, if I see one more strip where the punchline is one character saying something stupid while another looks to the reader and raises an eyebrow, I'm going to pitch a fit.

2) Constant copying and pasting. Now, I don't mind this when the art is SUPPOSED to be simple. But, if the person makes a big deal about being a good artist, but every single comic contains copying and pasting, that bugs the hell outta me

3) Artists who take themselves too seriously. 'Nuff said.

3) Illegibility. Basically, if I can't read it easily, I'm not gonna try to.


Just aboout every thing else you guys have said I don't mind as long as it's funny. I don't care if the concept of a comic has been done to death 10 million times; if it makes me laugh, I'm bookmarking it. I don't care of it's a sprite comic, or if it pretends to be manga, or it breaks the fourth wall all the time. As long as it brings the funny, I am happy. :D
-Grace (BOMC)

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

I hate female characters that are smart and reasonable but nasty-tempered and yelling at everybody.

Driving Without Pants wrote:There's a lot of people decrying the use of "I'm bored, let's start a webcomic!" to begin their strip. I'm just curious, how did you choose to begin your strips?

I did this.
I think I had a pretty good start. Swift characterisation of three characters in first three comics.

User avatar
Paul.Power
Regular Poster
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:24 pm
Location: Churchill College, Cambridge
Contact:

Post by Paul.Power »

Driving Without Pants wrote:There's a lot of people decrying the use of "I'm bored, let's start a webcomic!" to begin their strip. I'm just curious, how did you choose to begin your strips?

I did this.
The main reason this was my first strip is that, back in 2002 when I first had the idea for Boot Camp, it was the first strip I drew.

But given that, I seemed to manage to unconsciously follow a lot of the rules of first-comic writing when I did it (barring some light fourth wall breaking in the final panel), the most important of which seems to be: don't make your intro strip look like an intro strip. The first panel seems to suggest that events have been occurring for some time before the strip ("Right, men, I think I've finally found a weapon you can use without you mucking it up...")
Boot Camp - There don't appear to be many Worms webcomics out there...

Image

User avatar
Col
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:40 am
Location: Uncertainty
Contact:

Post by Col »

Wow, you most certainly did. :o

By the way, I've always meant to tell you that I've always enjoyed your style of drawing. Your use of a mostly round shapes and just the way that you draw your characters is very visually appealing. Really like that soft effect you get with all your drawings.

Just a random compliment.

User avatar
BloodKnight
Regular Poster
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:52 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contact:

Post by BloodKnight »

And BR! Be nice to 9th elsewhere! It's not THAT bad! You can rag on the other one all you like though.
KJGawuig9fpau258uoiajfoiajfi0j

DID YOU READ WHAT I SAID? I said "GOOD MANGA ARTWORK" right next to it.

Fucking god people. I'm an asshole, yes, but a nice one. I may have a dislike for shitty manga, but 9th elsewhere isn't shitty manga. I even complimented on my post and I still get talked down to.

*foams at the mouth and dies*
- Mark Iradian
Writer of Chronicles of Garas (A dark tech fantasy webcomic)
Image
Visit my LiveJournal

User avatar
Dotty
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2434
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:29 pm
Location: Drunk!
Contact:

Post by Dotty »

BloodKnight wrote:
And BR! Be nice to 9th elsewhere! It's not THAT bad! You can rag on the other one all you like though.
KJGawuig9fpau258uoiajfoiajfi0j

DID YOU READ WHAT I SAID? I said "GOOD MANGA ARTWORK" right next to it.

Fucking god people. I'm an asshole, yes, but a nice one. I may have a dislike for shitty manga, but 9th elsewhere isn't shitty manga. I even complimented on my post and I still get talked down to.

*foams at the mouth and dies*
I suppose it's an improvement over "manga sux" :P

The reason I'm responding to this though, is I wish further elaboration on "Nice Asshole". Is that similar to "Evil/Good" alignments I've seen D&D people use online, whihc I could have sworn didn't make any sense at all, or is this more like a "Chaotic/Good" sort of alignment?

It's nice to see you link 9th Elsewhere though. Big props to that manga n_n
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die

User avatar
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!
Posts: 2725
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 11:35 am
Location: Hrmph.
Contact:

Post by Komiyan »

Col wrote:
Wow, you most certainly did. :o

By the way, I've always meant to tell you that I've always enjoyed your style of drawing. Your use of a mostly round shapes and just the way that you draw your characters is very visually appealing. Really like that soft effect you get with all your drawings.

Just a random compliment.
*takes a bow* Thanks, dude, I really appreciate that. Random compliments make the world go round :)
Image
Image

User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.
Contact:

Post by Mercury Hat »

BloodKnight wrote:
And BR! Be nice to 9th elsewhere! It's not THAT bad! You can rag on the other one all you like though.
KJGawuig9fpau258uoiajfoiajfi0j

DID YOU READ WHAT I SAID? I said "GOOD MANGA ARTWORK" right next to it.

Fucking god people. I'm an asshole, yes, but a nice one. I may have a dislike for shitty manga, but 9th elsewhere isn't shitty manga. I even complimented on my post and I still get talked down to.

*foams at the mouth and dies*
Jesus Christ it was a misunderstanding and you go and fly off the goddamn handle. You are always so ready for someone to start up an argument with you when you post something inflammatory, you never put your fists down.

You don't come off as an asshole, you just come off as an arrogant immature moron. Assholes aren't always insulting, they just get their messages across in a callous manner. Assholes can bring something useful to a discussion. An arrogant immature moron just kinda flails his arms around to get attention.

And besides, maybe if you brought more to a discussion than "This is what I hate and the only reasons I can give are based on opinion but should be taken as fact" then maybe, just maybe, people wouldn't cringe every time they see a post of yours.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

User avatar
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger
Posts: 6538
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Too Old for this Shit
Contact:

Post by CJBurgandy »

Van Douchebag wrote: ... man, this lesbian avatar makes EVERYTHING great!
dang it, I can't stop looking at Van's Avatar >.<
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News

User avatar
Chibiartstudios
Regular Poster
Posts: 978
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:33 pm
Location: Right behind you!
Contact:

Post by Chibiartstudios »

BloodKnight wrote:
And BR! Be nice to 9th elsewhere! It's not THAT bad! You can rag on the other one all you like though.
KJGawuig9fpau258uoiajfoiajfi0j

DID YOU READ WHAT I SAID? I said "GOOD MANGA ARTWORK" right next to it.

Fucking god people. I'm an asshole, yes, but a nice one. I may have a dislike for shitty manga, but 9th elsewhere isn't shitty manga. I even complimented on my post and I still get talked down to.

*foams at the mouth and dies*
My bad. Sorry about that.

Now Mcduffies... I think it's time for his meds again. I'll hold him you get the tranquilizer gun!
Help me live my childhood dream of becoming the head of an evil corrupt corporate conglomorate:
Image

User avatar
TheLoserHero
Regular Poster
Posts: 942
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:40 am
Location: Contrary to popular belief, the correct pronunciation of Jersey is "Joisey".
Contact:

Post by TheLoserHero »

...um, not "hate", really, but I just find it a tad inconvenient when comics have lots of images on their home page. I'm on the fake internet (56k) so it'll take me a while to load it.

Additionally, archives shouldn't have lots of images either... I need to thumb through that, ya know?

(I am devoid of hate! Mwahhahaha. WAIT, I HATE SNOW)
Image

User avatar
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger
Posts: 6538
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Too Old for this Shit
Contact:

Post by CJBurgandy »

TheLoserHero wrote: WAIT, I HATE SNOW
so do I... I really need to move somewhere where it doesn't snow...
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News

User avatar
Jigglyman
Regular Poster
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:07 pm

Post by Jigglyman »

I hate comics that start off by introducing their characters like a bio page or something. You're suppoosed to reveal their personalities though their words and actions, fools. It should be way more subtle.
This is not a signature.

Post Reply