Flash Movies...

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Kris X
Forum Pocket Kitten
Posts: 2728
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:08 pm
Location: Forum Pocket.
Contact:

Flash Movies...

Post by Kris X »

I am currently considering taking up this art, but I have a problem.

I have no idea how to even begin doing it, I need to know what program or program to have, how to set it up and what the hell is required. If anyone has any way to show or tell me how I'd be most gracious. And maybe share some Flash movies you have created. Mucho gracias.
Image
PK Comics meets Gaming genre.

User avatar
Jeffy
Regular Poster
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:05 pm
Location: someplace trying to get myself to draw
Contact:

Post by Jeffy »

first thing you need is the Flash animation program, which I think is called Flash... Anyway, if you get that, and I think there is a free trial, the demos and examples they give you are excellent, which is why that's all we did in my Flash Animation class in college, go thru the built-in tutorials in the program (waste of monies for me since I coulda just done that at home).

Anywho, the animation I made for the final (but didn't show up for the final three classes, since I was sick of working on the slow Macs they had there and bringing in my own mice, and just did all the work at home) is right here -> http://tnb.keenspace.com/stuff.html

for some reason it seems that the length of time after Master Ninja stops talking and the next thing happens is longer than originally made, no idea why...
Image

User avatar
Tarotreader3
Regular Poster
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:24 pm
Location: Peterborough OR Markham ontario, canada
Contact:

Post by Tarotreader3 »

search +flash +tutorial

there's also a bunch of great instructional videos out there, but you'd have to pay for those... or pirate them, which I would never agree with, but it seems to be what all the kids out there are doing, anyway.

as for samples, you should check out http://www.newgrounds.com they have a bunch of good stuff there that's easy to copy as a learning tool. I've recently discovered http://www.illwillpress.com which has been making me laugh, there's also http://www.xombified.com/ but this is not so good for use as a learning tool, as it would be for "this is what the masters can do, hang your head in shame." and then there's also deviantart.com and you can browse through their flash section. best part of DA is that if you message people asking them how they did certian parts of it, odds are they'll get back to you and help you out.
Image
<Exit: The Professionals> <Enter: The College Pros>
Vote for me here

User avatar
Tarotreader3
Regular Poster
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:24 pm
Location: Peterborough OR Markham ontario, canada
Contact:

Post by Tarotreader3 »

Jeffy_Weffy: is there an mp3 of the master ninja theme song out there?
Image
<Exit: The Professionals> <Enter: The College Pros>
Vote for me here

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

Flash isn't very hard to use. Once you've mastered tweening, you've learned half of everything you need to know.

Flash is also a bit costly at $500, but you could probably get a student discount of up to $100.

I'm sure nobody here would ever suggest using a pirate version.
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

TOXIC AVENGER! wrote: I'm sure nobody here would ever suggest using a pirate version.
Because the pirate versions (like the ones on KaZaa and LimeWire) might have viruses. And it's just wrong to copy a program. Especially one that is $500.
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

User avatar
Sam_Charette
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:58 pm
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Flash Movies...

Post by Sam_Charette »

Kris X wrote:I need to know what program or program to have

Macromedia Flash (MX 2004 is the latest). And it only costs $500 US! ;)
Image

User avatar
Kris X
Forum Pocket Kitten
Posts: 2728
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:08 pm
Location: Forum Pocket.
Contact:

Re: Flash Movies...

Post by Kris X »

Sam_Charette wrote:
Kris X wrote:I need to know what program or program to have

Macromedia Flash (MX 2004 is the latest). And it only costs $500 US! ;)
Well...Screw that.
Image
PK Comics meets Gaming genre.

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

..and so ended Kris X's career in flash movies.

User avatar
Jeffy
Regular Poster
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:05 pm
Location: someplace trying to get myself to draw
Contact:

Post by Jeffy »

tarotreader3 wrote:Jeffy_Weffy: is there an mp3 of the master ninja theme song out there?
there's gotta be, got that one from a friend but I think he got it from one of the file sharing services

pretty sure I still have it on my computer
Image

User avatar
Faub
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3698
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 2:53 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

Post by Faub »

tarotreader3 wrote:Jeffy_Weffy: is there an mp3 of the master ninja theme song out there?
Yes. Yes there is. 8)

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

Flash is kinda difficult. Drawing into the program is not the easiest. It's also a fairly finicky program, deciding arbitrarily when it wants to work. It also lacks much of a history, so if you screw up, you have to start all the way back where you saved. The undo function doesn't really work as well as one would expect.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
Jeffy
Regular Poster
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:05 pm
Location: someplace trying to get myself to draw
Contact:

Post by Jeffy »

The Neko wrote:Flash is kinda difficult. Drawing into the program is not the easiest. It's also a fairly finicky program, deciding arbitrarily when it wants to work. It also lacks much of a history, so if you screw up, you have to start all the way back where you saved. The undo function doesn't really work as well as one would expect.
that's why I draw out of the program and import everything in as images... or at least did, been years since I've touched Flash
Image

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

The Neko wrote:Flash is kinda difficult. Drawing into the program is not the easiest. It's also a fairly finicky program, deciding arbitrarily when it wants to work. It also lacks much of a history, so if you screw up, you have to start all the way back where you saved. The undo function doesn't really work as well as one would expect.
So true...

I use Illustrator or Freehand to do the drawing, and then import it into flash.
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Re: Flash Movies...

Post by Van Douchebag »

Kris X wrote:Well...Screw that.
*cough*piracy*cough*

Here's a bunch of films and odd flash dealies I've done since 2001
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/search ... el%20caron

If you have any specific questions about Flash, just ask me.
I mean, White Hydra is done in Flash, and so are all the graphics on the site. I can't even use Photoshop; everything I ever do is in Flash.
Image

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

Piracy. Tisk tisk tisk. My version of flash is legal. It's a trial copy I may or may not have cracked.

Those are fun, Van. :P How do you draw WH?
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Post by Van Douchebag »

Here's the WIP for strip #63
Image
Image

User avatar
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend
Posts: 6163
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Walking on sunshine
Contact:

Re: Flash Movies...

Post by Vorticus »

Kris X wrote:
Sam_Charette wrote:
Kris X wrote:I need to know what program or program to have

Macromedia Flash (MX 2004 is the latest). And it only costs $500 US! ;)
Well...Screw that.
What about older versions? You might want to check ebay.

User avatar
CapitanG
Regular Poster
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:32 pm
Location: My mountain hideout
Contact:

Post by CapitanG »

Warren wrote:
TOXIC AVENGER! wrote: I'm sure nobody here would ever suggest using a pirate version.
Because the pirate versions (like the ones on KaZaa and LimeWire) might have viruses. And it's just wrong to copy a program. Especially one that is $500.
Well, theoretically (because I'd never do anything like this), you could just go to the macromedia website (http://www.macromedia.com) and download the "try and buy" version, then crack it before the expiration. That way it's straight from the source and uncorrupted.

Piracy is wrong, never do it.
Gnomes! --Still being updated!
Talent Optional -- Surreality TV--Both on Hiatus

User avatar
Pimpette
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4147
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:13 pm
Location: Comi-what now?
Contact:

Re: Flash Movies...

Post by Pimpette »

Van Douchebag wrote: Here's a bunch of films and odd flash dealies I've done since 2001
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/search ... el%20caron
Those are great.

I've never actually used Flash until this semester's Flash class, but I wish I'd learned it sooner. It's a fun program.
Lucky for me though, I've got an "educational" version installed on my school laptop already.
Get the trial version first, see how you like the program. If it's something you think you'll really be into, maybe buy an old version or something. I don't think older versions would cost you too much - they shouldn't, anyway.
Image

Locked