HWAET!

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Post Reply
User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

HWAET!

Post by McDuffies »

What do you hate most in webcomics?

I particulary hate "well, at least it can't be any worse than this!" jokes.
I mean, did you ever stop just to say "Well, it can't be any worse than this"? And if you did, was it any consolation?

User avatar
Jeffy
Regular Poster
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:05 pm
Location: someplace trying to get myself to draw
Contact:

Post by Jeffy »

angst
Image

User avatar
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1479
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Contact:

Post by KathleenJ »

Talking-head comics with a couple of smug looking guys (or girls, sometimes) - and the joke is that they're jerks and they insult each other.
Image

User avatar
Paul.Power
Regular Poster
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:24 pm
Location: Churchill College, Cambridge
Contact:

Post by Paul.Power »

It may sound nitpicky, but I find it tricky to stomach bad spelling and punctuation. It just breaks the flow of what I'm reading. The other classic problem I spot is when the speech bubbles are badly ordered, which just leaves me going "What?" until I work it out. For me when reading a webcomic, clear, unimpeded communication is everything.
Boot Camp - There don't appear to be many Worms webcomics out there...

Image

User avatar
Godoftarot
Regular Poster
Posts: 911
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:34 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow...
Contact:

Post by Godoftarot »

I like to call it the CCYOJ syndrome...Can't Create Your Own Jokes.
I find this mostly in comics where the main characters are a bunch of girlfriend-less guys who play video games all the time. The reason that particular genre generally irritates me is because of the jokes. It's like they decide some other geek's humor is so clever, they must use it too.
You can't always avoid have similar ideas to other people...with all the people out there, it's bound to happen. But if you see a bunch of people doing gags about putting themselves into video games, perhaps maybe you should avoid doing that gag too? At the very least get your ass blown up, rather than being an ass-kicking macho man like everyone else.
http://godoftarot.keenspace.com
God of Tarot: Giving new meaning to the phrase "Life sucks and then you die."

User avatar
Smight
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 am
Location: A Dark Place
Contact:

Post by Smight »

jokes with no punchline
I remember caring... It was nice.

User avatar
Kris X
Forum Pocket Kitten
Posts: 2728
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:08 pm
Location: Forum Pocket.
Contact:

Post by Kris X »

When they're in the guide but have....No site.... :cry:
Image
PK Comics meets Gaming genre.

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

When the jokes are not funny.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
Johndisko
Regular Poster
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Johndisko »

i hate stick figure comics :)

-jd
im the "j" "o" to the "h" "n" and i cant even spell the rest. it takes too long and i need a friggin cigarette.

User avatar
JeremyW
Regular Poster
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:45 pm
Location: magic town

Post by JeremyW »

Smug characters. And the smug people who draw them.

User avatar
Carlin
...or Crossfire
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 9:13 pm
Location: Paragon City

Post by Carlin »

Talking head syndrome, horrible spelling and grammar, the poor use of MS Paint, the poor use of any image editor, broken website with no sign of competence in it's design (not a bad site, a broken one. Don't worry amature webmasters. I ain't got no beef with you), and net speak in the comic. Unless the comic is a parody of these things I find all of that more annoying than claws on chalkboard. With the execption of talking heads. It's a common mistake that I can forgive as long it is corrected. (I was guilty of it at one time... Or still am but I'm trying)
I am The Poster Formerly Known as Crossfire. Or PFKAC. ...has a certain ring to it, no?

User avatar
BloodKnight
Regular Poster
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:52 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contact:

Post by BloodKnight »

A complete ugly bastardization of manga.

http://www.9thelsewhere.com/ - Good manga artwork

http://www.freewebs.com/fireflymanga/chapterone.htm - No comment
- Mark Iradian
Writer of Chronicles of Garas (A dark tech fantasy webcomic)
Image
Visit my LiveJournal

User avatar
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3737
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am
Location: Superglued to the forum by Yeahduff
Contact:

Post by Phalanx »

Comic creators who pat themselves on the back about how much better their comics are than the top popular comics and yet resent the fact that they aren't as popular and it's somehow the fault of the world and instead of actually doing something about it constructively they just go on and on and on and keep whining and even go to the extent of badmouthing the other webcomics that they see as their rivals.
Image
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

Ian Moulding
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1330
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: Watching you. Right now. And frankly, you're boring.
Contact:

Post by Ian Moulding »

kathleenJ wrote:Talking-head comics with a couple of smug looking guys (or girls, sometimes) - and the joke is that they're jerks and they insult each other.
Can I get an amen?!

User avatar
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3737
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am
Location: Superglued to the forum by Yeahduff
Contact:

Post by Phalanx »

Oh wait... we're talking about comics themselves?

I despise the ones who think defacing a picture of a political figure and writing something rude is doing political commentary.
Image
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.
Contact:

Post by Mercury Hat »

The same gag repeated several times over with only a very slight change in the situation.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

User avatar
Godoftarot
Regular Poster
Posts: 911
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:34 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow...
Contact:

Post by Godoftarot »

Phalanx wrote:Comic creators who pat themselves on the back about how much better their comics are than the top popular comics and yet resent the fact that they aren't as popular and it's somehow the fault of the world and instead of actually doing something about it constructively they just go on and on and on and keep whining and even go to the extent of badmouthing the other webcomics that they see as their rivals.
Out of curiosity, were you thinking of anyone specifically? :P
http://godoftarot.keenspace.com
God of Tarot: Giving new meaning to the phrase "Life sucks and then you die."

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

One's that try to hard to be funny, and really aren't. THey sort of come off as arrogant. I can't really explain it well, but I'm sure some of you know what I mean.
Image

User avatar
Stinkywigfiddle
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3479
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Under your skin
Contact:

Post by Stinkywigfiddle »

Gee, I wonder if I fit in with any of these.

I guess I dislike uncreative cliches mostly.
ImageImage

User avatar
Bwerith
Regular Poster
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:40 pm
Location: Suburban Canada
Contact:

Post by Bwerith »

I agree with Paul.Power about counter-intuitively placed speech bubbles.

Another beef of mine is when a comic's author uploads fanart in place of a comic. Especially if it's huge, slow-loading fanart. It's a bit of an annoyance when I'm reading through a comic's archives, and all I want is to find out what happens next in the story.
Image

Post Reply