Free Art Friday
Free Art Friday
Has anyone else tried this? It's a good way to get in some practice, and get a little publicity. If you're on twitter, you can get some attention fairly quickly.
Every so often I'll take a friday and offer 5 free sketches to anyone who contacts me with a request. I'm by the way doing one right now over on my tumblr http://antibunny.tumblr.com and as of right now still have 3 more sketches up for grabs if you want to get in on this. Though try not to use this thread for requests, just contact me via a social network. I'm also on Deviantart http://fragraham.deviantart.com and twitter @AntiBunny, or you can oldschool it with email fragraham@gmail.com.
If you haven't tried it I recommend it. Grab a sketchbook and some snacks, put a movie on, and get to scribbling. It's a good way to keep from getting into a rut since it offers you a good variety of things to draw, and by keeping it at sketches, you don't really commit that much effort to it. Not to mention it's great advertising. Give it a try.
Here's what this round has yielded so far.
http://fragraham.deviantart.com/art/Fre ... raham&qo=1 and http://fragraham.deviantart.com/art/Dax ... raham&qo=0
Every so often I'll take a friday and offer 5 free sketches to anyone who contacts me with a request. I'm by the way doing one right now over on my tumblr http://antibunny.tumblr.com and as of right now still have 3 more sketches up for grabs if you want to get in on this. Though try not to use this thread for requests, just contact me via a social network. I'm also on Deviantart http://fragraham.deviantart.com and twitter @AntiBunny, or you can oldschool it with email fragraham@gmail.com.
If you haven't tried it I recommend it. Grab a sketchbook and some snacks, put a movie on, and get to scribbling. It's a good way to keep from getting into a rut since it offers you a good variety of things to draw, and by keeping it at sketches, you don't really commit that much effort to it. Not to mention it's great advertising. Give it a try.
Here's what this round has yielded so far.
http://fragraham.deviantart.com/art/Fre ... raham&qo=1 and http://fragraham.deviantart.com/art/Dax ... raham&qo=0
- Bustertheclown
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2390
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
- Location: ATOMIC!
- Contact:
Re: Free Art Friday
These days, I don't even want to draw for myself for free, let alone other people.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
- Cope
- Incompetent Monster
- Posts: 7378
- Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:37 pm
- Location: Masked man of mystery
- Contact:
I pay myself in frozen pizza.
Well, I hope you pay yourself a fair rate, at least.Bustertheclown wrote:These days, I don't even want to draw for myself for free, let alone other people.
- Bustertheclown
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2390
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
- Location: ATOMIC!
- Contact:
Re: Free Art Friday
I just don't really draw anymore, to be honest.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
- Bustertheclown
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2390
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
- Location: ATOMIC!
- Contact:
Re: Free Art Friday
Has my sad confession finally been the statement that has killed this forum?
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
- RobboAKAscooby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1140
- Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:00 pm
- Location: Brisvegas
- Contact:
Re: Free Art Friday
Nah, this place has been suffering from persistent narcolepsy for a while now.Bustertheclown wrote:Has my sad confession finally been the statement that has killed this forum?
Deviantart~tumblr"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
- VeryCuddlyCornpone
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3245
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
- Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
- Contact:
Re: Free Art Friday
Yeah. I havent' had anything interesting to share and working on my comic has been so slow going I have no updates even on that front.
Oh wait here's some news- I'm trying to memorize the elemants of the periodic table. Also our shower head broke. And I havne't gotten a call back from my career place. And my rooms a mess and I'm out of my mind bored so I'm going to drive down to south jers to visit my boyfriend.
Oh wait here's some news- I'm trying to memorize the elemants of the periodic table. Also our shower head broke. And I havne't gotten a call back from my career place. And my rooms a mess and I'm out of my mind bored so I'm going to drive down to south jers to visit my boyfriend.
Re: Free Art Friday
Yeah these things are kind of why I suggest doing a free art friday. Not drawing will not get you out of a slump. Taking requests every so often, I've found helps keep the creative juices flowing and keeps things from stagnating.
- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
Re: Free Art Friday
My commute is two hours. Also our server broke down so I can't work now. Also I'm thinking of where I should go on vacation.VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Yeah. I havent' had anything interesting to share and working on my comic has been so slow going I have no updates even on that front.
Oh wait here's some news- I'm trying to memorize the elemants of the periodic table. Also our shower head broke. And I havne't gotten a call back from my career place. And my rooms a mess and I'm out of my mind bored so I'm going to drive down to south jers to visit my boyfriend.
- Bustertheclown
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2390
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
- Location: ATOMIC!
- Contact:
Re: Free Art Friday
Sorry to cause derailment of this thread, Vinnie. For people who are looking for a bit of inspiration or motivation, and are willing to work for others for free, I say give it a go! I just happen to not be one of those people.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
- Bustertheclown
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2390
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
- Location: ATOMIC!
- Contact:
Re: Free Art Friday
Here's a take on Free Art Friday that I do find intriguing. Instead of taking requests, one can make work, and then leave it out somewhere to be found. There's something a bit more, I don't know, magical(?) about something like that.
http://vimeo.com/101338185
http://vimeo.com/101338185
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com





