My Space

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Jekkal
Regular Poster
Posts: 184
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:18 am
Contact:

Post by Jekkal »

SergeXIII wrote:I used to, but never got many hits out of it.
For what its worth, Facebook gets me much more on a much more regular basis.
I've got Facebook! How'd you do it? Set up a group, or wha?

On a side note, I'm also trying Twitter...
Image

User avatar
Shishio
Regular Poster
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:31 pm
Location: Toronto-ish
Contact:

Post by Shishio »

MySpace was by far my biggest referrer for three months. Now it's the second biggest. (Google is first now.)

Then again, that's probably where most of the spambots that visit my site come from.

Just look at how many comments have been posted on the first strip.
Image
One-liners: Come for the laughs, stay for the abuse.

User avatar
Fleakitten
Regular Poster
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:23 am
Contact:

Post by Fleakitten »

Anyone ever try Live Journal?
The Academy Demonslayers
--------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------
My Devintart Page

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Post by Killbert-Robby »

Got a hit out of it. A hit.
Image

User avatar
Renee Katz
Regular Poster
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:32 am
Contact:

Post by Renee Katz »

fleakitten wrote:Anyone ever try Live Journal?
Yes. Tell me how to milk the traffic outta THAT site?

User avatar
Fabio Ciccone
Regular Poster
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:42 am
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Contact:

Post by Fabio Ciccone »

I've tried comicspace.com, the myspace for comics... didn't quite like the results and don't go there for a while

User avatar
Eric Theriault
Regular Poster
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 2:04 pm
Contact:

Post by Eric Theriault »

It always come back to the same problem: we are all cartoonists promoting each other to other cartoonists. And Comic Space is great but it's preaching to the converted, or trying to preach to your competitors...I was hoping that My Space was a door outside that problem...But it seems not, if everyone experience is right.

User avatar
Fabio Ciccone
Regular Poster
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:42 am
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Contact:

Post by Fabio Ciccone »

Eric Theriault wrote:It always come back to the same problem: we are all cartoonists promoting each other to other cartoonists. And Comic Space is great but it's preaching to the converted, or trying to preach to your competitors...I was hoping that My Space was a door outside that problem...But it seems not, if everyone experience is right.
There is wisdom in your words. :)
What could we do to spread our works to others non-cartoonists? My Brazilian readers are mainly friends of friends of friends and comic lovers from some forums. My English site is a bit new and, well, I don't have any friends to spread the word... so what do you guys do to let people know?

User avatar
Jekkal
Regular Poster
Posts: 184
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:18 am
Contact:

Post by Jekkal »

Eric Theriault wrote:It always come back to the same problem: we are all cartoonists promoting each other to other cartoonists. And Comic Space is great but it's preaching to the converted, or trying to preach to your competitors...I was hoping that My Space was a door outside that problem...But it seems not, if everyone experience is right.
Here's the problem (and keep in mind, just because I know how to identify it doesn't mean I know how to solve it):

We know how to market to people who already read webcomics. This much is obvious. What we DON'T know is how to market to people who aren't already readers, or even internet-inclined.

Another thread around here already mentioned the power of merchandising and how many people see the shirts long before the comics. This is an excellent example of 'reaching out' to those who don't read the comics.

The idea that comes to mind so far is to have a introductory comic on flyers/leaflets that you can leave in local hangouts (with permission, of course; just assure them they're not Chick Tracts or anything), with information on how to get more. It's not high-tech, but it just might work.

Obviously you may have to warp the marketing to make it more accessible to complete off-the-streeters, but it's a sound theory if nothing else.
Image

User avatar
Alschroeder
Regular Poster
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:21 pm
Location: Nashville
Contact:

Post by Alschroeder »

Renee Katz wrote:
fleakitten wrote:Anyone ever try Live Journal?
Yes. Tell me how to milk the traffic outta THAT site?
Easy.

Put a panel from your comic on there.

There are a LOT of sites that show the last 20, or 30, or whatever images put out on livejournal. I put a panel from my latest page out there for every update.

Trust me. I get literally HUNDREDS of hits from that.

I also contribute to some of the comic sites out there on livejournal, like scans_daily.

---Al
http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com--MINDMISTRESS
---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroe ... series.php--Flickerflame</a>
Image

User avatar
Renee Katz
Regular Poster
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:32 am
Contact:

Post by Renee Katz »

alschroeder wrote:
There are a LOT of sites that show the last 20, or 30, or whatever images put out on livejournal.
That is really interesting to me. :o

User avatar
Geekblather
Regular Poster
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:44 pm
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Post by Geekblather »

Renee Katz wrote:
fleakitten wrote:Anyone ever try Live
Journal?
Yes. Tell me how to milk the traffic outta THAT site?
I use LiveJournal a couple of different ways. I have Livejournal group for the comic, and I post when I update, and when I make any snazzy site changes. I also post my sketches on sketching/drawing communities and include a link to the comic, and when a thread pops up on the "featured" section of the site, I also hop on and post a few panels or strips, and that usually gets a lot of hits too. I also post any fanart for comics who aren't on CG (a lot of them have LJ groups) and that also helps. Probably most of my hits outside of searches and lists are from LJ.
Image

It's about fluff, angst, drama, comedy, gaming. Come play in our world.

User avatar
Anarchist
Regular Poster
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: burlington Vermont
Contact:

Post by Anarchist »

i post some comics via bullitins, and frequently make advertisements for it, its brought the hits over 5000!

however, i don't have a long enough attention span to make a myspace account for it, for that, i blame A.D.D.
Image- web site coming soon
Image-
email to: punky.boarder@gmail.com
the unexpected = the story of an ordinary teenager who winds up housing a girl. but the girl is running for her life, with a secret to keep.

TODD GOLDMAN; THE INTERNET THIEF!

User avatar
Renee Katz
Regular Poster
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:32 am
Contact:

Post by Renee Katz »

anarchist wrote:i post some comics via bullitins, and frequently make advertisements for it, [...]
How do you do that? Are we talking about Myspace or Livejournal here? :o

User avatar
Dragoness_Minerva
Regular Poster
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Great White North
Contact:

Post by Dragoness_Minerva »

Once you get all those hits from LiveJournal do people keep coming back (Obviously some won't, I just wondered what the "come:don't come back" ratio is like)?
Heart of a Dragon- A dangerous force threatens all the Earth, and the planet's salvation rests on the shoulders of the last Dragon, only she doesn't know how to stop them. Updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
My backup site

User avatar
Alschroeder
Regular Poster
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:21 pm
Location: Nashville
Contact:

Post by Alschroeder »

Dragoness_Minerva wrote:Once you get all those hits from LiveJournal do people keep coming back (Obviously some won't, I just wondered what the "come:don't come back" ratio is like)?
Well, my stats have been going up, but I'm also taking part in the CROSSOVER WARS, which may be part of it. I'm not sure what the ratio is, quite frankly, but hey, past a certain point, all you can do is put it out there for them to see. Since each of the four panels on a page are SEPARATE images on my site, separated by html, I just use one of the four images, hopefully the one that will draw the most interest.---Al
http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com--MINDMISTRESS
---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroe ... series.php--Flickerflame</a>
Image

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Post by Phact0rri »

Dragoness_Minerva wrote:I gave it a shot, but only got musicians sending me ads for their bands and where they're playing.
You can actually disable bands on your myspace page.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

User avatar
Geekblather
Regular Poster
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:44 pm
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Post by Geekblather »

Dragoness_Minerva wrote:Once you get all those hits from LiveJournal do people keep coming back (Obviously some won't, I just wondered what the "come:don't come back" ratio is like)?
Since I try to target groups that have people in them who would be interested in what I'm doing, I think a fair number come back more than once. The community has about 60 people on it that have the comic "friended" and visit it every time I post an update. Those all show up on my stats page too, so I can see exactly who it is that comes to visit.

Again, a lot of that is targeted advertising. I'm a geeky girl, so I post links and images on girl gamer communities. And again, on art communities and the like.
Image

It's about fluff, angst, drama, comedy, gaming. Come play in our world.

User avatar
Alschroeder
Regular Poster
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:21 pm
Location: Nashville
Contact:

Post by Alschroeder »

I found another use for my Livejournal page...since Comicgenesis' servers are having problems, until they're resolved, I posted the latest Mindmistress update here at http://mmsophia.livejournal.com/84406.html....
and since Vicki has her Myspace page, I put it also up there at
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 3884e3c1f2 ...

...And of course alerted people on my forum and other places. (Like this one.)---Al
http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com--MINDMISTRESS
---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroe ... series.php--Flickerflame</a>
Image

User avatar
Laundromatcomics
Regular Poster
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:30 am
Location: Sure, I've done some time...what of it?
Contact:

Post by Laundromatcomics »

siabur wrote:Oh yes. How I attract the myspace whores. It just amazes me how I can get the same picture of a whore and all the different names that go with it. I'm starting to get a lot of spam on my blogs. I love it when I get the "I read your blog and felt the same way so I had to leave a comment". Okay, what about announcing a new comic makes you feel the same way. It makes me giggle. I guess it works cuz they keep at it. I love the deny button.
It's like pokemon for the myspace generation: I got Claudia! Oh yeah, well I got Claire and both of the Michelles! You mean the one where she's bent over the sink? Yeah, it's totally hot.
Image

Post Reply