HEY, PROSPECTIVE VOTERS! OVER HERE!

Discussion of the yearly awards for best comic in various categories.
ShardZ
Regular Poster
Location: The haunts of grues, lucksuckers, eldritch vapors...

HEY, PROSPECTIVE VOTERS! OVER HERE!

Post by ShardZ »

I hope others, registered voters or not, can join me in this little initiative...

I know chances are slim-to-none that anyone will respond to this thread, but since nominations for this year's WCCAs have begun, I figured I'd at least thow out some good webcomics I've read, and the categories they might fall under. I've also approximated the "where this comic was one year ago" mark as best I could.

The full list of categories can be found here.

Bruno the Bandit has had consistently well-done art, long-form storylines, and satire-based humor for years. But it's the past year we're concerned with, so you needn't let the huge archive scare you. (Plus, the "weekly" reading option currently lets you see three strips at once.)

I really enjoy the humor of Maxwell the Demon, and the environments are often really nice, too. It used to be in short form format, but the most recent story arch has become pretty long.(Sometimes not safe for work, occasional adult references.)

I can't explain why I'm drawn to the character-writing of pretty much every character in Rabbi Encounters, but I am. If it didn't have sepia tones, I'd think it could also qualify for black and white art.

I believeHim & Her's Drug Smuggling Vacation qualifies as a new comic insofar as it was fully colored and put on the web this year. (Mostly not safe for work due to curse words and the use of illegal substances and the smuggling thereof.)

The story in 5ideways is compelling, though it takes some getting used to--particularly when the setting jumps back and forth in time. But then, that sort of disconnect tends to evoke the entire situation--"laws of physics and nature out the window"--pretty well. The environment is also definitely "out there," but I'm not sure enough was shown within the past year... (Some gore and other unpleasantries.)

Anyone else? Come on, I know you're reading this. Please?

NOTE: I'm not sure if there are still rules for update frequency, or if all of these would qualify in that case, but I'm sure that bridge will be crossed if there's a need to. ...Right?
In order to clearly see what is in the shadows, you must first enter them.

Sharpclaw
Regular Poster

Post by Sharpclaw »

I already voted and had my own ideas for nominations in most categories, but this is a nice gesture towards the comics that you read and suggestions might help those who do not have ideas for certain categories.

The Mortician
Cartoon Hero

Post by The Mortician »

What happened to some of the categories this year?

Dutch!
Red galah

Post by Dutch! »

They bowed to public response and removed the genre categories, I believe.

Wow. I answered a question about awards and stuff. That's a first.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?

En

Post by En »

Interesting...I'll definately haveta' take a look through these.

Dava

Post by Dava »

For best overall comic, I'm voting for Girl Genius. Studio Foglio produces so much outstanding work, and they are great supporters of the webcomics community. (full disclosure: I help edit GG.)

For the single panel comic category, I heartily recommend Savage Chickens. It's not always one panel, but it usually is. (I hope that doesn't disqualify it.)

For outstanding web design, I really like SeamourSheep.com. The website is such a beautiful match for the comic, and I wish I had his archive script.

I need help finding candidates for new comics, though.