Outstanding Character Rendering

Discussion of the yearly awards for best comic in various categories.

Outstanding Character Rendering

Postby Davidcsimon on Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:25 pm

I'm a little confused by the category of "Outstanding Character Rendering", in particular the phrase "where the visual flavor of the character design is effectively presented" seems rather vague. Are we talking about the artistry of how the characters are drawn/painted? Or are we talking about the character designs? I seem to recall these being separate categories in previous years, so have they been merged for this year? I would have thought that it takes a rather different set of skills to design a new character than to take an existing character and draw them in a powerful/effective way.
Davidcsimon
Regular Poster

Postby Zortic on Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:17 am

Yes, we have combined these categories.

Remember, all of the categories repesent the comic's performance during the previous year. So, with the exception of newcomers, characters have been designed long before these awards are eligable.

Therefore this category is designed to award outstanding execution of previously established designs. So, while a good design is going to help, this is really about the artists' skill to really make it work.
visit <A HREF="http://www.zortic.com" TARGET=_blank>Zortic</A>
and <A HREF="http://www.abbysagency.us" TARGET=_blank>Abby's Agency</A>
and the <A HREF="http://www.ccawards.com" TARGET=_blank>Web Cartoonists' Choice Awards</A>
Zortic
Regular Poster

Postby Davidcsimon on Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:30 am

Zortic wrote:Remember, all of the categories repesent the comic's performance during the previous year. So, with the exception of newcomers, characters have been designed long before these awards are eligable.

Ahh, I see you point. Mind you, many established comics still add new and interesting characters as the years go by, but I can see how it's difficult to quantify. Perhaps a more general design category, (I'm specualting ahead for 2008, rather than suggesting for this year) which can cover characters as well as mecha, weapons, items etc.
Davidcsimon
Regular Poster

Postby Jdalton on Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:37 pm

davidcsimon wrote:Perhaps a more general design category, (I'm specualting ahead for 2008, rather than suggesting for this year) which can cover characters as well as mecha, weapons, items etc.

That's called "art." Which is then divided into character rendering and environments (which includes objects). (and I suppose, colour and layout- though layout might be part of writing depending on how the comic is made).
Jonathon Dalton
Jdalton
Regular Poster

Postby Davidcsimon on Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:45 pm

jdalton wrote:That's called "art." Which is then divided into character rendering and environments (which includes objects). (and I suppose, colour and layout- though layout might be part of writing depending on how the comic is made).

I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Designing something and then painting it artistically within a scene are two different processes. One person may design how the mecha works, work out a complex system for rigging it's limbs etc. - but someone else places it in a scene so it captures the light at just the right angle. The first is the designer, the second is the artist. Sure, a lot of comics have a single artist filling both roles - but I do feel that there are radically different skills involved.
Davidcsimon
Regular Poster

Postby Jdalton on Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:51 pm

Fair enough.
Jonathon Dalton
Jdalton
Regular Poster

Return to Cartoonists' Choice Awards