Strips worthy of Nomination...

Discussion of the yearly awards for best comic in various categories.

Postby Davidcsimon on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:36 pm

spqrblues wrote:I feel inspired, suddenly... I feel a new project coming on. I occasionally write interactive fiction--text-only games. What if I made it images only, instead? That would still be sequential art, right, albeit with the reader deciding the sequence. Anyone know of any examples currently out there? Okay, I am veering way off topic here. Thank you for your indulgence. The muse bit me.

In a sense, a comic where you influence the course of the story would be comparable to an "Adventure Game". Look at something like the original "Myst", it was basically a series of still images with the occasional embedded animation - linked by the player clicking on various hotspots in each image. But I'd love to see a comic which applies the principle more explicitly to the comic format: Each panel appears sequentially over time, and for some of them you get to choose what text goes in a certain dialogue box, and that determines which panel will be displayed next.
Davidcsimon
Regular Poster

Postby Jdalton on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:57 pm

spqrblues wrote:I feel inspired, suddenly... I feel a new project coming on. I occasionally write interactive fiction--text-only games. What if I made it images only, instead? That would still be sequential art, right, albeit with the reader deciding the sequence. Anyone know of any examples currently out there? Okay, I am veering way off topic here. Thank you for your indulgence. The muse bit me.

Scott McCloud has some, sort of. Don't know about anyone else.

"Use of the Medium" I take as including any comic that works better online than in any other format (like in print) so it could include interactivity, comics with animation in ("mixed media" comics but not animated cartoons), infinite canvas, or any comic that would not fit nicely in a book but looks really cool and deserves an award.
Jonathon Dalton
Jdalton
Regular Poster

Postby Drathan on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:34 am

davidcsimon wrote:
El wrote:N I think the new version qualifies for use of the medium if nothing else. :)

I'm not so sure about that. As I said, the new version would be best described as animation - but it would happily work in other media (ie: you could put it on a Video, or a DVD, or project it in a cinema) and the experience would be essentially the same. I think the "Use of the Medium" category is more about projects which use the web/PCs in ways which are unique to the format - ie: interactivity.

Hi everybody, I'm Marco, (aka fableforge aka drathan), the guy who makes "Journey of a Ghost" (aka Grittie). You may remember me from such movies as.... bah, nevermind, that simpsons introduction joke is tired by now. Truth is I'm a tiny bit nervous. I've been doing what I do in the interwebs since, oh, 2002 or so, but I've never felt part of the webcomics community. Ever. I always get the impression everyone knows everyone but me, and.. yeah... I always feel like a stranger. Anyway, thats besides the point. I just wanted to comment a couple things:

First, thanks so much to Klio and El for your vote of confidence, you have made me feel welcome and liked, and, .. as I pointed out above, that is very rare for me so I appreciate it tons and tons, you know I wuv you :)

Second, I got back my email from the Powers that Be here with my excell voting ballot, so I hope its implied my own work does qualify in their eyes as being eligible? (P.S. I work on programming the interwebs for a living, if you need help next year to make the voting online I'll be glad to)

Third... for those who wish to see the old more comic-like incarnation, the old old URL is still available, I only ask you to please dont share it outside this forum, because amazing as it sounds, there's people who only know the video version and they don't know what happens next in the story. Feel free to share this link all you wish though!

Its very interesting what Klio has been talking about recently; where do you draw the line and say this is a comic and that is not a comic anymore? You see, the old and new version are 99% the same story, about 85% the same graphics, some 80% the same writing, and about 95% the same author. But the old one (this will sound unintentionally bitter, my appologies) was never outstanding enough to make a following, and the new one may bee too out-there still. I dont know :/

I should really end this post here, but against my better judgement, I -really- feel like expressing what may be the cause (or the effect; I dont know) of my "foreigness" to the webcomic world. All 2005 I worked really hard on the old version, (I cant tell whom I work for, but I can say some crisis mean I have to work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week till its over). By my calculations and not including covers, I must have done something like 880 panels over 40 episodes, and while sometimes I was some days late, I always published weekly, until I simply ran out of spirit, I guess is the best way to say it. I dont know, I probably hamstrung myself early on by my font choice, or by having a flash wrapper, or a too complex story, but the fact is my total visits ... ever.. total, were less than 1000. I dont know what made me try again, but the video world has been more welcoming. I got those 1000 hits in my second night on YouTube with the first episode (now that version is deleted and replaced with another one that has subtitles). Anyway... I know everyone here is uber talented and works just as hard too... I'm rambling now and dont really have a point, sorry for the little free therapy I got out of typing this, I promise to be less dramatic in successive posts, and whether or not my work is nominated, I hope you guys like it. :)

All better now :)

Cheers,
Marco
Last edited by Drathan on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drathan

Postby El on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:42 am

In other words, VOTE Journey of a Ghost for OUTSTANDING USE OF THE MEDIUM...nothing is more deserving and it is obviously an eligible entry. ^________^

Good luck Marco/Drathan/FableForge! ;) If I have anything to do with it all you've gots to be nervous about is winning. ;) :D
The twenty-first century is when the whole world changes. Now see how it ends.
El
Regular Poster

Postby Davidcsimon on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:08 am

drathan wrote:I got back my email from the Powers that Be here with my excell voting ballot, so I hope its implied my own work does qualify in their eyes as being eligible?

Hehe, cool, debate over :D
(though the issues involved are still worth discussing, I think that the webcomic world is on the precipice of something new and exciting, and your work is a great example of how the lines of distinction are beginning to blur)

I'm rambling now and dont really have a point, sorry for the little free therapy I got out of typing this, I promise to be less dramatic in successive posts, and whether or not my work is nominated, I hope you guys like it. :)

Well, even with the YouTube video much more popular than the original comic version, I still didn't hear about it until today... but I've been learning a lot this week. I definitely like your work - both the comic version and the animated version :)
Davidcsimon
Regular Poster

Postby Spqrblues on Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:04 am

davidcsimon wrote:But I'd love to see a comic which applies the principle more explicitly to the comic format: Each panel appears sequentially over time, and for some of them you get to choose what text goes in a certain dialogue box, and that determines which panel will be displayed next.

The trick might be for the reader to feel both like they're guiding the story, but also being told a story, getting to know characters and their world. Perhaps they should feel like they're the protagonist's best friend able to give advice, or the protagonist's conscience, selecting between the angel and devil that apparently sit on people's shoulders at moments of choice. First and foremost though, there has to be a story/stories to tell.

I'm very excited about this project. I'll have to cram it into my daily schedule with a crowbar, but I'm excited about it.

Next year, bear me in mind for that "Use of the Medium" category :wink:

drathan wrote:I got those 1000 hits in my second night on YouTube with the first episode

Hurrah for YouTube! Maybe we should all go there :) In all seriousness, I'm glad it's the sort of venue where you seem to be finding the right audience. I wonder if a lot of times, the readers we find through the usual webcomic listings and banner placements aren't motsly looking for a specific type of comic, drawn a certain way, coloured a certain way, funny in a certain way--criteria that might not fit, for example, my own comic. I should probably be advertising to classics students and Latin teachers, but then they in turn may not be inclined to click on a link for a comic. Marketing is exhausting, I just want to tell a story!

Hmm... did I know you're in Miami? I spent summers and winter holidays (and a few hurricanes) there with part of my mother's family. I feel like it's my second home. But I prefer cities with more hills. And snow :D
Spqrblues
Regular Poster

Postby Legendary on Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:32 am

...A muse bit my sister once...
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman

Postby Spqrblues on Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:23 am

Legendary wrote:...A muse bit my sister once...

Yah, I set myself up for that one...

I'm discovering I don't read many Romantic, Superhero/Action, Short Form, or Single Panel comics.

More recommendations, anyone? What's a good "Romance" comic that isn't just about flowers and pink candy hearts? I'm considering nominating Alexandros. But I'd love to discover some new favourites through this.
Spqrblues
Regular Poster

Postby Drathan on Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:23 pm

spqrblues wrote:The trick might be for the reader to feel both like they're guiding the story, but also being told a story, getting to know characters and their world. Perhaps they should feel like they're the protagonist's best friend able to give advice, or the protagonist's conscience, selecting between the angel and devil that apparently sit on people's shoulders at moments of choice. First and foremost though, there has to be a story/stories to tell.

Ohhh Klio................ I just sent you a private message over comicspace .. some ideas.. maybe some will click, maybe I can help.... :twisted:

spqrblues wrote:
drathan wrote:I got those 1000 hits in my second night on YouTube with the first episode

Hurrah for YouTube! Maybe we should all go there :)

Hehe, well, in retrospect I now realize how what I said about hits in YouTube made it sound like suddenly I'm getting a lot of views :) actually, 1000 is not all that much by YouTube standards, where a well-timed burp song or a jumping chihuahua in a sailor suit is capable of getting hundreds of thousands of views in matter of hours... (er... or so I heard from a friend).. What I really meant is that 1000 views in a whole year is such sad state of affairs for a traditional webcomic that -even- youtube can beat it on a good night :)

Regardless, if anybody here wishes to make video versions of their comics, I'd love helping out. I've learned a thing or two about making soundtracks and freeware software for converting stuff, and what video formats the web likes best and so forth, and I'll be glad to share what I know with anybody interested.

spqrblues wrote:In all seriousness, I'm glad it's the sort of venue where you seem to be finding the right audience. I wonder if a lot of times, the readers we find through the usual webcomic listings and banner placements aren't motsly looking for a specific type of comic, drawn a certain way, coloured a certain way, funny in a certain way--criteria that might not fit, for example, my own comic. I should probably be advertising to classics students and Latin teachers, but then they in turn may not be inclined to click on a link for a comic. Marketing is exhausting, I just want to tell a story!

Oh, I so hear you. I so hear you. I dont know if I've found my right audience either (or even if such thing exists :)), but I do get more comments in youTube than I ever did in onlinecomics.net for instance. And you probably said it as a joke, but SPQR Blues is so well documented, that any teacher who used it in history class would instantly be upgraded to "cool". Not kidding. If you package it right, I'm sure more than one educational institution would be interested :)

South Florida is nice whenever the wind is under 70mph... The weather is so beautiful this week

El wrote:In other words, VOTE Journey of a Ghost for OUTSTANDING USE OF THE MEDIUM...nothing is more deserving and it is obviously an eligible entry. ^________^

Good luck Marco/Drathan/FableForge! ;) If I have anything to do with it all you've gots to be nervous about is winning. ;) :D

El, ... you're too awesome, I don't know what I did, but I'm so grateful...... wow :)

Alright, I'm done hijacking this thread, sorry for going off-topic so bad, I'll be good now..

Marco
Drathan

Postby Legendary on Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:46 pm

spqrblues wrote:I'm discovering I don't read many Romantic, Superhero/Action, Short Form, or Single Panel comics.

More recommendations, anyone? What's a good "Romance" comic that isn't just about flowers and pink candy hearts? I'm considering nominating Alexandros. But I'd love to discover some new favourites through this.

Can't really help you with Romantic.

Superhero/Action: Antihero for Hire. Although it's pretty well known, so if you'd like to dig a little deeper and nominate the less obvious choices: Patchwork Champions, Lightbringer, and Mindmistress are all superhero comics that I've heard of through the boards, although PC is the only one I've had the chance to read.

Short Form: I'm not that sure exactly what this is, but I'm assuming it's three or four panel strips. In which case , there's the blindingly obvious: Penny Arcade, PvP, Sluggy Freelance. Although there's also Joe Loves Crappy Movies, a consistently hilarious comic strip/movie review. And Out There and Partially Clips.

Single Panel: I can only think of one at the moment, but it's a good one. Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal.
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman

Postby Julieann on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:46 pm

I have a little sci-fi webcomic called Dreamers Cove that I’m not sure is ready for any kind of nomination. To help others, here is a list of comics I’m nominating in various categories:

Difficult Categories (listed in no particular order):

Newcomers:
- Galaxion
- Star Drop
- PandaXPress

Single Panel:
- Book of Biff
- Contemplating Reiko
- Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal

Outstanding Photgraphic Comic
- Legostar Galactica
- Alien Loves Predator
- Imaginary Friends

Romantic:
- Patches
- Red String
- Close Encounters

Others in various categories:
- Gunnerkrig Court
- Airshell
- Storm Corps
- Apple Geeks
- Errant Story
- Alpha Shade
- Aoi House
- Boy Genius
- Dresden Codak
- Inverloch
- School Spirit
- Secret Friend Society
- Count Your Sheep
- Penny and Aggie
- Chicken Wings
- ZAP
- Hero By Night Diaries
- Girl Genius
- Unshelved
- Trout
- Faux Pas
- Ozy and Millie
- Two Lumps
- No Rest For The Wicked
- Return of the Exile
- Templar, Arizona
Julieann

Postby GrammasPajamas on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:58 pm

spqrblues wrote:I'm discovering I don't read many Romantic, Superhero/Action, Short Form, or Single Panel comics.

By far the best romance comic is Fetus-X: http://www.fetusx.com/

It also has the advantage of being a short form and single panel comic!
GrammasPajamas

Postby Drathan on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:06 pm

Julieann wrote:To help others, here is a list of comics I’m nominating in various categories:

Good idea! I'll copy paste my list from another forum, here goes:

El's comics (Between Two Worlds and The Broken Mirror, usually both) are in my ballot for outstanding comic, newcomer, artist, writer, layout, color, character rendering, character writing, long form comic, dramatic comic, and fantasy comic :)

The other comics I strongly nominated were SPQR Blues, and my own Journey of a Ghost :D

Onesies and twosies (many times threesies) here and there went (in no particular order) for Action Figure Graveyard, Lords of Death and Life, Gingerdead, Elsewhere, Stark Reality, Zed Reckoning, StuporHeroes, CottonFluff Hollow, Aarin's Desk, Tiny Ghosts, Crimson Dark, Instrument of War, Neko and Neko, Intergalactic Law, P.S.I., School Spirit, The Many Moons of Astra, Biff, Dreamer's Cove, Lucid-TV and even Elf-Only Inn B)

P.S. Would have included "A mad tea party" but jdalton asked us not to split the vote, so "Lords of Death and Life" it is. Viva Mexico!

Edit: Byron would kill me for saying this, but he has a... erm.. platonic romance for Grittie... so I guess Journey of a Ghost qualifies too for........ er... nah, nevermind, forget I said anything!
Drathan

Postby Jdalton on Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:03 pm

drathan wrote:Its very interesting what Klio has been talking about recently; where do you draw the line and say this is a comic and that is not a comic anymore?

Well, I still haven't decided if I consider the new Grittie a "comic" per se, but I will say this in its favour:

1. If your new version is more popular and you like it better, go for it. Whoever said that only sequential panels are worth paying attention to? Art is art and "mixed media" is big business (philosophically speaking).

2. I can tell that there's a lot of talent going into it, whatever it is. A willingness to disregard existing boundaries or definitions is usually a good sign in an artist, silly contests aside.

3. Your soundtrack is really good.

4. Nobody ever elected me king of deciding what's a comic. I fully support anyone who wants to put it up for nomination in the use of the medium category. Go see Grittie now and decide for yourself! I dare you!

5. Anyone who makes an unconventional comic (a.k.a. anything that's not a gaming comic) is an outsider. Join the club! :P
Jonathon Dalton
Jdalton
Regular Poster

Postby Zph719s on Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:23 pm

Sorry to interrupt:

I always vote and nominate my favorites, even if I sound like a broken record.

Outstanding Comic

No Rest for the Wicked http://www.forthewicked.net/ It will always be my favorite. I'm a sucker for a good story and well-developed characters.

Outstanding Black and White Art

These two guys do an excellent job:

Hector! http://www.risecomics.net/Latest.html

Prodigy Grey http://www.prodigygrey.com/

Best Humor Strip

Malfunction Junction http://malfunctionjunction.net/

Zeera the Space Pirate http://zeera.comicgenesis.com/

Two of my favorites there.

Best Newcomer

Aldus Maycombe http://aldus.comicgen.com/

Best Collaboration

Golden http://home.comcast.net/~ron_purcell/golden.html

That's my two cents.
Zph719s
Regular Poster

Postby Eve Z. on Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:39 am

What are these awards anyway? they're just publicity or... they're real awards? :o

Just asking.
...what goes around, comes around.
Eve Z.
Dead Humanoid Walking

Postby Davidcsimon on Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:46 am

Eve Z. wrote:What are these awards anyway? they're just publicity or... they're real awards? :o

Hehe, there's no such thing as "just publicity", it's publicity!!! But yeah, it comes down to publicity and the recognition of your peers (I accidentally wrote "pears", and had a sudden veggietales flashback...).
Davidcsimon
Regular Poster

Postby Shishio on Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:23 am

Questionable Content is a romance comic. As is Sordid City Blues.

I can't remember if I mentioned Lucid TV elsewhere or not, but it's hilarious. (Though not a romance comic.)
One-liners: Come for the laughs, stay for the abuse.
Shishio
Regular Poster

Postby Spqrblues on Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:04 pm

Shishio wrote:Questionable Content is a romance comic. As is Sordid City Blues.

I used to read Questionable Content regularly. Which is probably why I didn't think of it as a romance comic. Also tried to keep up with Sordid City Blues, which I will also recommend for everyone's nomination consideration.
Spqrblues
Regular Poster

Postby Biev on Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:31 pm

A "real" award is publicity too v(' ')v
Biev
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Cartoonists' Choice Awards