I BEAT YOU TOO IT :-P

I BEAT YOU TOO IT :-P

Postby Speaker on Mon Jun 17, 2002 6:12 am

we both started w/ flash around the same time!! but i started LAST WEEK bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! take THAT petie!

-Andy :evil: :D
Speaker
Regular Poster

Postby Labgoat on Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:39 am

If anything, you gave me the idea! I'm also using a Wacom tablet now, as well, a pretty little Grapphire 2. So, thanks for giving me the idea! :) Also, I need to thank Joe Nadeau for his help in getting started in Flash.
LabGoats, Inc.
Ask Dr. Science
A Humor Site...FOR SCIENCE!!!
Labgoat
Regular Poster

Postby Speaker on Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:48 am

so you the wacom bug bit you too? LOL i love mine SO MUCH!
Speaker
Regular Poster

Postby CaptainSpam on Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:46 am

See, I'd first need to find room in my room to PUT a Wacom. Then I'd have to interface it to the Linux box (The Windoze machine is horrid on USB). THEN I'd have to train meself to not try to take advantage of the natural shading of a pencil. <b>THEN</b> I'd have to rearrange my scenes to be happier towards a tablet. <b>THEN</b> I'd have to, etc, etc... :-)

But hey! The comics are looking better all the time! Go Petie!
- CaptainSpam
The Dementia of Magic - Somewhere between Tolkien and Monty Python.
CaptainSpam
Regular Poster

Postby Speaker on Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:02 am

one... it replaces the mouse pad and you can get it the size of one or bigger, so no extra space (comes w/ a mouse)

2...the expensive ones can use "tilt" which let you do that pencil shading in photoshop

3...i didn't think to try it in linux...interesting, but it works very good on my windows box....or you could get a parrallel version

4...Wacom Tablets (http://www.wacom.com) are a godsend from God himself! BUY THEM!

PETIE:
explain to me mod-el shee-its? What? :-)
(seriously...i'm curious how this works exactly, i have an idea but i may be wrong)

-Andy
Speaker
Regular Poster

Model Sheets

Postby Labgoat on Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:28 am

Basically, I'm making a .fla (Flash native) file for each character. I devote a layer to each main body part (in various poses). I then take a blank .fla file and add the characters in, in the poses I need, and add dialogue. It's coming along smoothly, so far...
LabGoats, Inc.
Ask Dr. Science
A Humor Site...FOR SCIENCE!!!
Labgoat
Regular Poster

Postby CaptainSpam on Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:03 pm

Speaker:

1. Eh... you don't quite know the limitations of space I'm working with. My Linux box's keyboard, monitor, and mousepad share the top of my dresser with a fair amount of other junk. Unless I got a really tiny tablet, that is. :-)

I suppose I could improvise space for one, though... I'd like to keep my mouse around with it, however (Shouldn't be hard, /dev/mouse and /dev/usb1, they plug in different ports)... if I have no middleclick, it won't do at all. No two ways around it. Do the mice that come with Wacoms have third buttons?

2. "Tilt"? Hm? Last I knew, they were pressure sensitive, what's this about tilt?

3. See, USB seems to fail horribly on my Windows machine. No matter what I do, plugging in ANYTHING USB kills the video card, and Windows can't find the USB device. Good thing my faithful Logitech MouseMan+ has a USB-to-PS/2 adapter, huh? :-)

I know the Linux kernel has options/modules for Wacom tablets, but I'd have to recompile X Window to accomodate HID devices. And since the Linux box is my USB box, it'd go there. Actually, it makes more sense, given I do all my coloring in GIMP in Linux anyhoo. :-)
- CaptainSpam
CaptainSpam
Regular Poster

Postby Speaker on Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:49 am

Cap:

1. My wacom pad is the same size as my old mouse pad,
and yes they do have third buttons, completely programable (it has a wheel that acts as a button...or you can buy a seperate mouse...all wacom "tools" work w/ all tablets...jsut some tablets have better options....you can get a five button mouse...cordless w/ no ball :-))

2. go to http://www.wacom.com and check out the Intuos. Mine's the Graphire 2 (aka the cheap 100 dollar mousepad size one) the intuos has a LOT of cool options and comes in HUGE sizes....then there are the ones that project the screen on the pad and it's like you're drawing directly on the screen :-)

3. well...that sounds odd....but you can use that ps/2 addapter when you get rid of your old mouse cuz your pad will have a 3 button mouse :-)

well since you do your coloring in Gimp, go ahead....or you can get gimp for windows :-)

petie:
OH...thanx :-)
Speaker
Regular Poster

Postby CaptainSpam on Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:12 pm

Speak:

1. Hrm... I've been a bit leery about a small, mousepad-size area (minus space for a border) used to represent a full-screen display... but then again, most of my drawings are small margin doodles in my notebooks, so I've gotten used to drawing small. :-)

2. I'll browse a bit later, once I work up the courage to give a 2.4 kernel a shot on my main server... bloody iptables, I've got NO idea how to just set up a stupid IPMasq with it...

3. Er... I think the only reason the USB-to-PS/2 works on the mouse is because the drivers are wired to expect either USB or PS/2, and, let's face it, do mice REALLY need the bandwidth of USB? What's next, a SCSI-controlled mouse? :-)

I've got meself GIMP for Windows, but really, the GTK+ toolkit just doesn't run as well in Windows as it does on... well... anything else. Despite the fact that my Linux box is only 200MHz, acts as my webserver, mail server, housewide internet sharing, etc, AND it takes about five seconds to write undo information per stroke on massive images (Massive == <a href="http://exclaimindustries.net/~captainspam/DoM/DoMAlexandriaPose.png">this pic</a>, but twice as large), GTK+ still runs better on it than my 400MHz Windows box. Plus, the 15" monitor actually displays colors correctly, moreso than the 21" monitor on the Windows box I found in the garbage (seriously). :-)

And I just plum well trust Linux more. And I'm SURE I can get a Wacom working on it, I just need to get one. Though I'm certain most of the higher-end features on higher-end Wacoms won't work under Linux...

/me loves GIMP
- CaptainSpam
CaptainSpam
Regular Poster

Postby Sss on Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:21 pm

Comics in Flash just beg for animation! Any chance of seeing a labgoats cartoon feature? I know I like messing around with it from time to time however since it is time consuming I don't do in much in my comic.
[url=http://sss.keenspace.com/]Image
[/url]-That's what I said, deal with it!
Sss
Regular Poster

Return to Labgoats, Inc.