Just saw GI Joe

The forum for Ghastly's Ghastly Comic. NSFW
Forum rules
- Consider all threads NSFW
- Inlined legal images allowed
- No links to illegal content (CG-wide rule)

Just saw GI Joe

Postby Vedius Pollio on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:45 am

I still think the cartoon was better:

1. In the cartoon, the Baroness (whom, you have to admit, is the best character in the entire franchise, except maybe for Zarana) was badass. Here she's fragile and weepy. Also, her loyalty to Cobra only exists because of a mind control chip in her brain, which is pathetic, and denies her any responsibility over her own actions.

2. I didn't mind the Mummy guy's performance as Zartan, although the ending of the film was a total rip-off of X-Men 1. (But I think the film's Zartan was an improvement over the cartoon Zartan, although they should have kept the Dreadnoks.)

3. Destro's costume was hideous. The cut of his waistcoat was too straight and looked tacky. His suits all looked like they were made from the sort of cheap fabrics that Italian waiters wear on Lygon Street.

4. Cobra Commander's mask (at the very end) was totally stupid, and looked like an attempt at making a Darth Vader mask using and eggshell carton and some sort of translucent white plastic. Also, Cobra Commander behaved like Doctor Mindbender for most of the movie, and suddenly became dominant, which isn't a very plausible character shift.
"Leopards invade the temple and drink the wine from the chalices; this happens suddenly; in the end it was forseen that this would happen and it is incorporated into the liturgy."
-Kafka-
Vedius Pollio
Regular Poster

Re: Just saw GI Joe

Postby Protagonist on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:47 am

I still haven't decided whether to see the movie or not. Hollywood seems to have recently decided to make a mockery of everything I loved about my childhood. The last Street Fighter movie, which had the potential to at least be hilariously bad like the first one, was just plain bad. Then there was the Dragonball movie, which I decided from the moment I heard about it to avoid like the plague. Judging by the fact that it was in theaters for about a week, I'm glad I never saw it. So yeah, I don't really have high hopes for GI Joe.
Protagonist
Regular Poster

Postby Bustertheclown on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:14 am

It's hard not to make a mockery out of the trappings of an 80's or 90's childhood, given how ridiculous those trappings really were. Seriously, this is a summer blockbuster which is based on cartoons based on comics based on toys. Taking it seriously in any way is just being nostalgic all wrong. Turn off the big brain, and go watch some shit explode for 90 minutes.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby Protagonist on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:00 am

Bustertheclown wrote:It's hard not to make a mockery out of the trappings of an 80's or 90's childhood, given how ridiculous those trappings really were. Seriously, this is a summer blockbuster which is based on cartoons based on comics based on toys. Taking it seriously in any way is just being nostalgic all wrong. Turn off the big brain, and go watch some shit explode for 90 minutes.

See, I never intend to take this sort of thing seriously. I'm worried that the movie tries to take itself seriously. My beef with the last Street Fighter movie was that it felt like it was made to appeal to more than just Street Fighter fans, so instead of being a terrible movie that was hilarious if you like Street Fighter, it was just a terrible movie in general.

Anyway, I'll probably still end up seeing the GI Joe movie this weekend, mostly because I have nothing better to do with my Friday nights.
Protagonist
Regular Poster

Postby Churba on Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:27 pm

Vedius Pollio wrote:1. In the cartoon, the Baroness (whom, you have to admit, is the best character in the entire franchise, except maybe for Zarana) was badass. Here she's fragile and weepy. Also, her loyalty to Cobra only exists because of a mind control chip in her brain, which is pathetic, and denies her any responsibility over her own actions.
Because this is Hollywood, and the only way you can be good after being evil voluntarily is by performing a good deed and dying either in the attempt or immediately after while confessing or encouraging the main good guy character.

3. Destro's costume was hideous. The cut of his waistcoat was too straight and looked tacky. His suits all looked like they were made from the sort of cheap fabrics that Italian waiters wear on Lygon Street.
On the upside though, it is christopher eccelson, the only better casting possible would have been peter Capaldi from In the loop, and most recently torchwood, who is just inherently malicious, if not outright evil.

4. Cobra Commander's mask (at the very end) was totally stupid, and looked like an attempt at making a Darth Vader mask using and eggshell carton and some sort of translucent white plastic. Also, Cobra Commander behaved like Doctor Mindbender for most of the movie, and suddenly became dominant, which isn't a very plausible character shift.
Yeah, that mask was a bit of a shitpot attempt(Because the Original supposedly was too much like a Klan Mask), ditto mindbender's sudden personality shift. Then again, the only reason these characters had even the most cursory background explination is so that adults care about them, because as a kid, you cared about them because they were AWESOME.
boring 7 wrote:Though one might argue that 4chan is just a giant, free-form MMO that never stops, nevar forgets, and is not your friend.
Churba
Cartoon Hero

Postby Halo299 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:42 am

Churba wrote: because as a kid, you cared about them because they were AWESOME.

I don't think a more true statement has ever been uttered here.
Halo299
Cartoon Hero

Return to Ghastly's Ghastly Comic