34,000 lbs of bananas...

The forum for Ghastly's Ghastly Comic. NSFW
Forum rules
- Consider all threads NSFW
- Inlined legal images allowed
- No links to illegal content (CG-wide rule)
User avatar
Honor
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3775
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:02 am
Location: Not in the Closet
Contact:

34,000 lbs of bananas...

Post by Honor »

Well... For those who may have wondered... I now have a Class A CDL (Commercial Driver's License) with added endorsements for double & triple trailers and tankers.

The three week CDL school is over, passed with flying colors, and I'm now in my six week on-the-road training period, in which I ride with a more experienced driver to learn what's what and such.

So far, I've put about 1600 miles on his truck, mostly all within several hundred miles of home. I did make it out to California, where we picked up a load of bananas at Port Heuneme and hauled them back to the Wal*Mart Distribution Center, but mostly I just carry loads of food from the DC to various Wal*Mart stores in AZ, Southern CA, (and, in theory, NM, NV, and possibly UT).

The truck I'm in is a Freightliner Columbia, and she's a pretty good girl. Once I'm done with training, I'll most likely be issued a Volvo, or perhaps a Freightliner much like the one I'm in now.

This should probably go in the "confessions" thread, but I find I really, really, really like these big trucks. I always have, but it's just getting more and more pronounced. It's lovely to sleep with the diesel engine purring at you... Or, walking in a yard with truck after truck after truck purring away. Like I told the teacher in the first class they sent us to, when he was asking us why we were looking to become truck drivers... I said I was interested in the travel, the freedom, the road... But that, mostly, class 8 trucks and 500hp diesel engines give me an... inappropriate biological response.

He laughed and said "We must be related." and referred to me as his daughter for the rest of the class. :-)
Last edited by Honor on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered...."

Image
Blogging and ranting at: The Devil's Advocate... See also...

The semi-developed country... http://www.honormacdonald.com


Warning: Xenophile.

User avatar
Honor
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3775
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:02 am
Location: Not in the Closet
Contact:

Post by Honor »

I don't have a picture of the Columbia yet, but, in case you're interested, here's a picture of one of the school trucks, which I did all my range & road training and driver's test in.

Image

She's a big, gentle-hearted girl, with plenty of power that didn't get used while we were hauling empty trailers during training.

The shift pattern on the newer truck is quite a bit tighter, even though it's an updated version of the same Eaton 10-speed transmission... Makes it a bit more difficult finding the right gear when you're doing a recovery or double-downshifting.

Also, with the empty trucks in training, all the shifts were made at predictable speeds and RPM's... Easy. With a real load on the road, the speeds and RPM's you shift at can vary quite a bit, so even though I always plenty well enough in the classes, I still feel like I grind and fumble a bit too much under a load.

It's hella-fun, though, I gotta tell you. 80,000 lbs... Five hundred diesel fired ponies... It's enough to bring a tear to a girl's eye. XD
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered...."

Image
Blogging and ranting at: The Devil's Advocate... See also...

The semi-developed country... http://www.honormacdonald.com


Warning: Xenophile.

User avatar
ManaUser
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1174
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:59 pm
Location: Seaside Town, CA, US

Post by ManaUser »

Hey, thanks for stopping by. :)

Sounds like you're having a good time. Knowing I was halling crap for Mal*Wart would ruin it for me, but I guess you have to take what you can get at first.

Do I recall correctly that you're planning to buy your own truck eventually?

User avatar
Seth Marati
Regular Poster
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:26 am
Contact:

Post by Seth Marati »

I must say, you must have some serious girl-balls in order to actually say something like that to your instructor so early in the class. But we all pretty much knew that about you already.

("Girl-balls" took a little more thinking than it should have. "Balls" sounded a little off, given the specifics, and "ovaries" just sounded... odd.)
"No self-respecting alien would let zombies beat them to the punch." - Warflyzor

User avatar
Honor
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3775
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:02 am
Location: Not in the Closet
Contact:

Post by Honor »

Yes... Eventually, I plan on buying my own. That'll be at least 8 months down the road, though.

Yeah... The Wal*Mart part kind of bugs me, but I tend to think of it as hauling food for people, rather than hauling freight for Wal*Mart. It's inescapable, I suppose. A huge volume of the freight hauled, comparatively speaking, is for them...
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered...."

Image
Blogging and ranting at: The Devil's Advocate... See also...

The semi-developed country... http://www.honormacdonald.com


Warning: Xenophile.

User avatar
Ce6
Regular Poster
Posts: 662
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:27 pm
Location: two blocks from the ocean
Contact:

Post by Ce6 »

Congrats Honor!
Glad to see you're getting somewhere with your goal and having fun with it.
Someone's gotta say it: Keep on Truckin!
Life is what you make of it. You only get one shot, do with it what you can to make it the best.
Rants, raves, and just about anything else I feel like sharing on no particular topic whatsoever.
"The world...it's...it's full of stupid." -JB
"I'm going to the special hell." - Ghastly

User avatar
Aeridus
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 5695
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:39 pm

Post by Aeridus »

Hooray! You can drive around the country and kidnap most of us for GhastlyCon! :D

I claim the box of dildos to sit on.
Village Idiot Vs World webcomic and other works of art

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ‘Holy shit! What a ride!’ "
~Mavis Leyrer

User avatar
Freerefill
Regular Poster
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Wherever I happen to be at the time.
Contact:

Post by Freerefill »

Shotgun
Adults are just outdated children and the hell with them. - Dr. Suess

Lulujayne
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2480
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:56 am

Post by Lulujayne »

*sighs*

I'm just all warm and tingly knowing that you're back with us for awhile - and so happy for you that it is working out well :D
I shall keep myself in oysters for the rest of the week, thank you very much.

User avatar
Kingofthemorlocks
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1484
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:40 pm
Location: Morlock City, capital of the Morlock Underground Nation

Post by Kingofthemorlocks »

34,000 lbs of bananas...someone call Awkward :)

User avatar
WangyJohn
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2819
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 12:47 am
Location: Fort Europa
Contact:

Post by WangyJohn »

Bananas? B-A-N-A-N-A-S? Har har, zambah ram banana gangbang.

Liar!
Liar!
Banana banana banana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta pie!
Banana banana banana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta pie!

Is there a perfect way of holding you baby?! (Liar)
Vicinity of Obscenity in your eyes!
Terracotta terracotta terracotta PIE!
Is there a perfect way of holding you baby?! (Liar)

Vicinity of Obscenity in your eyes!
Terracotta pie (Hey!)
Terracotta pie (Hey!)
Terracotta pie (Hey!)
Terracotta pie!

Banana banana banana banana terracotta banana terrecotta terracotta pie!
Banana banana banana banana terracotta banana terrecotta terracotta pie!
Do we all learn defeat from the whores with bad feet
Beat the meat (beat the meat),
Treat the feet (treat the feet)
To the sweet, milky seat

Banana banana banana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta pie!
Banana banana banana terracotta banana terrecotta terracotta pie!

Is there a perfect way of holding you baby! (Liar)
Vicinity of Obscenity in your eyes!
Terracotta pie (Hey!)
Terracotta pie (Hey!)
Terracotta pie (Hey!)
Terracotta pie!

Banana banana banana banana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta pie!
Banana banana banana banana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta pie!
Do we all learn defeat from the whores with bad feet
Beat the meat (beat the meat),
Treat the feet (Treat the feet)
To the sweet, milky seat

Liar [moan]
Liar [moan]
Liar [demon moan]
Liar [moan]
Banana banana banana banana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta pie!
Banana banana banana banana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta pie!
Banana banana banana banana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta pie!
Banana banana banana banana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta pie!


You brought it upon yourself.

Anyway, you know what's in common between a truck driver and a dog? Both live in a box, eat from a can and piss on the tires. Nothing else.
The gospel preacher, the hostile teacher/The face of God with an impostor's features
This is the prophecy - the cult leader/The people's temple, the holy ground, the war compound
Four-pound to rifles, disciples, the holy idles/Supreme truth, the cult leader with the green tooth
The multi-millionaire with a stare that can freeze troops/I program people to kill
The motiviational speaker, my words cause people to feel/It's mind control, let the cult leader guide your soul
Open up your eyes to the lies he told/The general, the chief, I be the political pioneer
The cult leader, you can believe in me, I am here/Bless the children, take you under my wing, shelter
Helter Skelter, this is it, you can't kill me I'll exist forever. Cult Leader!

MistressMaggie
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:07 pm

Post by MistressMaggie »

I read somewhere that Bananas are the top-selling item at Wal-Mart.

User avatar
Squidflakes
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 4484
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:49 am
Location: Hovering Squidworld 97A
Contact:

Post by Squidflakes »

This shit is bananas

b-a-n-a-n-a-s
Squidflakes, God-Emperor of the Tentacles.
He demands obeisance in the form of oral sex, or he'll put you at the mercy of his tentacles. Even after performing obeisance, you might be on the receiving ends of tentacles anyway. In this case, pray to Sodomiticus to intercede on your behalf.

--from The Bible According to Badnoodles

perverted and depraved and deprived ~MooCow

Visit the Naughty Tentacle Cosplay Gallery

User avatar
Churba
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:39 am

Post by Churba »

This shit is Stephani

Cookie-cutter-pop-is-shit!
Fixed.

User avatar
Squidflakes
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 4484
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:49 am
Location: Hovering Squidworld 97A
Contact:

Post by Squidflakes »

Pffft.. Stephani is one of us, a nerd through and through.
Squidflakes, God-Emperor of the Tentacles.
He demands obeisance in the form of oral sex, or he'll put you at the mercy of his tentacles. Even after performing obeisance, you might be on the receiving ends of tentacles anyway. In this case, pray to Sodomiticus to intercede on your behalf.

--from The Bible According to Badnoodles

perverted and depraved and deprived ~MooCow

Visit the Naughty Tentacle Cosplay Gallery

User avatar
Churba
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:39 am

Post by Churba »

Pffft.. Stephani is one of us, a nerd through and through.
Well, I suppose she had to steal that "Skinny pale white girl wants to be Japanese" thing from somewhere.

User avatar
Aeridus
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 5695
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:39 pm

Post by Aeridus »

I thought everyone wanted to be Japanese...
Village Idiot Vs World webcomic and other works of art

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ‘Holy shit! What a ride!’ "
~Mavis Leyrer

User avatar
Churba
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:39 am

Post by Churba »

I thought everyone wanted to be Japanese...
Not the Irish!

MNsane
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 7:18 pm
Location: Tomah,Wi

Post by MNsane »

Freerefill wrote:Shotgun
you want the Mossberg or the Maverick ?
Member of I.W.W
I.U. 660

Wraithguard starcaller
Regular Poster
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 10:12 am

Post by Wraithguard starcaller »

Honor wrote:I don't have a picture of the Columbia yet, but, in case you're interested, here's a picture of one of the school trucks, which I did all my range & road training and driver's test in.

Image

She's a big, gentle-hearted girl, with plenty of power that didn't get used while we were hauling empty trailers during training.

The shift pattern on the newer truck is quite a bit tighter, even though it's an updated version of the same Eaton 10-speed transmission... Makes it a bit more difficult finding the right gear when you're doing a recovery or double-downshifting.

Also, with the empty trucks in training, all the shifts were made at predictable speeds and RPM's... Easy. With a real load on the road, the speeds and RPM's you shift at can vary quite a bit, so even though I always plenty well enough in the classes, I still feel like I grind and fumble a bit too much under a load.

It's hella-fun, though, I gotta tell you. 80,000 lbs... Five hundred diesel fired ponies... It's enough to bring a tear to a girl's eye. XD
Brings a tear to her pink-eye, did ya hear?

Post Reply