I fucking hate idiots who work in Cell Phone kiosks.

The forum for Ghastly's Ghastly Comic. NSFW
Forum rules
- Consider all threads NSFW
- Inlined legal images allowed
- No links to illegal content (CG-wide rule)

I fucking hate idiots who work in Cell Phone kiosks.

Postby Ghastly on Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:16 pm

Grrrrrr...

I wanted to get a Nokia DKU-5 USB cable which hooks various models of Nokia cell phones up to a computer via the USB port. Pretty fucking simple, right?

Since I have a FIDO phone I went to the FIDO store first. All out, don't have any, buy it online they said. Yeah right, and pay twice in shipping what the damned cable costs. I don't think so.

So then I go the bell store and tell them I'm looking for a Nokia DKU-5 USB cable. So they ask what it is for. I say it hooks a Nokia cell phone up to the computer through the USB port. They ask which cell phone and I say several models but the one I have is the 3100b. They say, they don't sell the 3100b. I say I'm not interested in buying a 3100b I want a DKU-5. I already have a 3100b. So they say "well we're Bell, you have to buy that cable from FIDO because it won't be compatable with Bell cellphones".

Arrrrgh! You fucking idiots! It's a fucking universal cable. The cable doesn't care which carrier you're using. It just hooks the damned thing up to a USB port and you sell phones that use the DKU-5!

Anyways I tell them that it doesn't matter who the carrier is, this is just an accessory, it's the same cable used for the phone no matter who the carrier is. They insist a Bell cable won't work with the FIDO phone because Nokia makes the ports completely different on the phones they sell to different carriers.

No, no they don't. The data ports are the same. Do you sell the DKU-5?

"Let me check", she says and checks. "Yes we do."

Great, I'll take one.

She then starts telling me it won't work. I tell her I'll take one anyways. She says "okay" and then she comes back and says "sorry, we're sold out"

Fucking hell. Why didn't you just tell me you were sold out when I asked for the DKU-5 and saved me all this aggrivation.

To make matters worse, I got damned near the same damned story at every freaking cell phone kiosk I went to. Oddly enough the only place that knew what they were talking about was Radio Shack and they said it's a special order.

I fucking HATE that people can get jobs in tech sales without ANY freaking tech knowledge at all.

When I was in college I worked in a computer store and believe me, you were grilled on your computer knowledge during your interview to make sure you knew what you were talking about. There were a hell of a lot more computer platforms back then too. Now adays it seems any fucking dickhead with a pulse can get a job in an electronics store.
Ghastly
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jackalope on Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:27 pm

Snerk. I remember this radio ad that ran locally about temp agencies. "So do you know anything about system administration?" "No..." "Do you know how to use a word processor?" "No..." "Can you breathe?" "Yes." "Good! I have a job for you!"

I strongly fear that the people who fit into the "Can you breathe?" category are the ones working at the cell phone kiosks.
The Cult of Surf'thulhuImageIya! Iya! Surf's up, dude!
It's been said that in the event of nuclear holocaust, only two things on Earth are likely to survive: cockroaches and Keith Richards. --Frontline News.
Jackalope
Regular Poster

Postby Toawa on Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:43 pm

Yeah, I'm not overly enthused with most of the electronics store people I talk with. Which isn't many, since I usually ignore them unless I actually need them to do something, in which case it's "I'll take that item in the locked cabinet, please." (So actually, I should say, "I'm not overly enthused with most of the electronics store people I overhear talking to other customers.") The only people that I have any modicum of respect for are the ones that actually fix the computers, because lets face it, they have to know what they're doing. (Well, in theory anyway. ;)) But of course, they're not paid to work the floor.

(I only see such stores as instant gratification versions of online ordering, anyway. It's like bookstores; if I can't find it in the bookstore, I don't ask them to order it. Why bother? I'll just order it online. I don't go to the store for expertise, I go there for product. If they have it, fine, if they don't, sorry. And if they do, but don't have it under a shelving system whereby I can locate it, they don't deserve my business. :P No, I never ask for salespeople if I can at all avoid it.)

When I first read the topic, though, I thought you were perhaps talking about the overly-pushy kiosk minders you occasionally run across. One time, a while back, I was walking through the mall, passing all the kiosks with nary a glance, when one of them said, "Sir! Can I interest you in this cell phone." (or something to that effect.) As per usual, I ignored him with skills honed by two years of walking through UIUC's quad. (Anyone who has done so at any large college or university should know exactly what I'm talking about.) But he is undetered: "Sir!" I continue walking. "Sir!!" By this point, some other passerby veers toward me and says (with a non-malicious, informational aire), "Hey, that guy's trying to get your attention..."

"I know. He's trying to sell me a cell phone."
Toawa, the Rogue Auditor.
(Don't ask how I did it; the others will be ticked if they realize I'm not at their stupid meetings.)
Interdimensional Researcher, Builder, and Trader Extraordinaire
Toawa
Cartoon Hero

Postby Slander on Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:09 pm

When I worked for SprintPCS, I had a lot of calls about the same sort of issue. The Bell and FIDO people may not have wanted to sell you the USB cable because they may have a policy against tethering.

Tethering is the process of hooking up a cellphone to a computer or PDA and using the phone as a wireless modem. Many cellular companies prohibit it. (Others, such as T-Mobile USA, don't care.)

There's still no excuse for being such jerks to you, but that's most likely the case.
Slander
Regular Poster

Postby Del_ant on Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:45 pm

mhmm can u take a pic of the usb port i might be able to help ya if its the 1 i think it is
Del_ant

Postby Fire Storm on Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:41 am

FYF, I bought a DKU-2 cable and it is absolute crap when hooking it up to my Nokia 3200. I've seen the DKU-5 on eBay for $10 with another $10 on shipping. Not too bad, and the DKU-5 seems to work well for me.

Scratch that. eBay has them for about $4 + $7.49 shipping to Canada.

Check out the <A HREF=http://search.stores.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=dku-5&sid=15053251&store=iTrimming&colorid=15&fp=0&st=1&submit=Search>iTrimming Store</A>

I just ordered 2 cables from them (I ended up selling my first DKU-5 to a co-worker)
Fire Storm
Regular Poster

Postby Infinity-Iz-Blue on Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:01 am

Anything of this sort annoys me to no end. I admit I don't know a whole lot about electrical devices, but I can tell you I know more than some resident experts at some shops. It's a sad, sorry state of affairs, and there is no excuse for it. Next time you fgo, take a lump hammer with you, maybe you'll get some straight "I don't know"s.
"OH, I'VE SEEN THE INFINITE, IT'S NOTHING SPECIAL."
"Don't be daft! you can't see the infinite, it's... infinite!"
"I HAVE."
"Ok then, what did it look like?"
"IT'S BLUE."
"It's black."
"IT'S BLUE."
"It's black!"
"FROM THE OUTSIDE IT'S BLUE..."
Terry Pratchett, 'Soul Music'
Infinity-Iz-Blue
Cartoon Hero

Postby Squidflakes on Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:17 am

I like baiting sales people at computer places. I'll go in, look around, paw to the merch until some sales weasel comes up to me and gives you that oh so friendly "Hi! How can I scre.. I mean, help you today"
and thus the great adventure begains.

Playing dumb is just a sheer joy on these occassions, you hear all kinds of great things like...

"No sir, Windows XP doesn't crash, Microsoft fixed that."
"E-mail is pretty hard on a computer, you'll need something powerful."
"Yes, this computer comes with a free virus scanner, but it also comes with AOL, so you aren't going to need to check for viruses"
"The reason why broadband is so much faster than a modem is because your phone jack is small. See this network port, thats like three times the size of you phone jack, and more data can fit in there."

and my all time favorite

"No, you see that windows logo on the computer? That means it can only run Windows"
Squidflakes
Cartoon Villain

Postby Ghastly on Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:40 am

squidflakes wrote:.
"The reason why broadband is so much faster than a modem is because your phone jack is small. See this network port, thats like three times the size of you phone jack, and more data can fit in there."

I damned near laughed until I piddled! :lol:
Ghastly
Cartoon Hero

Postby Infinity-Iz-Blue on Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:03 am

Squiddy, you are delightfully evil, payback via the squid!
"I HAVE."
"IT'S BLUE."
"It's black."
"IT'S BLUE."
"It's black!"
Infinity-Iz-Blue
Cartoon Hero

Postby Squidflakes on Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:22 am

I believe in a very proactive return on karma ;)
Squidflakes
Cartoon Villain

Postby Tha_Pig on Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:45 am

I get that all the time. In the past months I have changed cell phone companies several times. The seem to have some kind of "reverse competition" in which each company tries to provide worse service and attention to the costumers than the others.

Now, I find incredible that someone working at Radio Shack knew something about anything related to electronics. Usually, my personal experience tells me typical Radio Shack store employee is less informed about electronics than the average Yanomamo Indian.
Tha_Pig
Regular Poster

Postby Squidflakes on Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:40 pm

I would have suggested deep sea tube worm, but that works Pig.

When you go in and ask where their resistors are, and you get not but a blank stare, then... we don't sell coyboy hats.

(resist-all, being a cowboy had brand here in TX)
Squidflakes
Cartoon Villain

Adventures in Radio Shack

Postby Tha_Pig on Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:09 pm

squidflakes wrote:I would have suggested deep sea tube worm, but that works Pig.

When you go in and ask where their resistors are, and you get not but a blank stare, then... we don't sell coyboy hats.

(resist-all, being a cowboy had brand here in TX)

Some time ago I asked the Radio Shack guy for a plug (I had the part number and everything) for my laptop power supply. They told me I had to buy an universal power supply (which was about 150 dollars) I just walked thru him to the appropriated alley, and there, hanging from the wall they had all the different plugs, color coded and appropriately marked. The one I needed was $ 1.99.

Another day I asked if they had computer memory (RAM) and they showed me one of these cheap digital assistants to save addresses and phone numbers (the ones that look like Mickey Mouse version of a Palm) After a few words I realized they had not idea what
Tha_Pig
Regular Poster

Postby Ghastly on Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:55 pm

Man, I remembr back in the 70s Radio Shack was the ultimate geek store and the staff there actually knew more about stuff than I did. They were all hardcore electronic hobbiests and they had parts to build ANYTHING.

Now it's just a watered down Future Shop.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.
Ghastly
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tellner on Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:28 pm

Ghastly wrote:Man, I remembr back in the 70s Radio Shack was the ultimate geek store and the staff there actually knew more about stuff than I did. They were all hardcore electronic hobbiests and they had parts to build ANYTHING.

Now it's just a watered down Future Shop.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

But there may be hope. Edmumd Scientific was gawdlike back in the seventies. Then it fell. Now it's at least demigawdlike again.
"It is the difference between the unknown and the unknowable, between science and fantasy - it is a matter of essence. The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom and the unknown. Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the one is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to the unknowable. The man who bows in that final direction is either a saint or a fool. I have no use for either."

-- Roger Zelazny Lord of Light
Tellner
Cartoon Hero

Postby Infinity-Iz-Blue on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:33 am

Were did all the expertise go in retail? I'm too young to have enjoyed it, damnit!

I know, the bastards sold it...
"I HAVE."
"IT'S BLUE."
"It's black."
"IT'S BLUE."
"It's black!"
Infinity-Iz-Blue
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jackalope on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:47 am

Infinity-Iz-Blue wrote:Next time you fgo, take a lump hammer with you, maybe you'll get some straight "I don't know"s.

You mean like this one?

(I built this one as a prop for our Dickens Fair medicine show, but it works well enough as a hentai hammer...it's still a BFH)
The Cult of Surf'thulhuImageIya! Iya! Surf's up, dude!
It's been said that in the event of nuclear holocaust, only two things on Earth are likely to survive: cockroaches and Keith Richards. --Frontline News.
Jackalope
Regular Poster

Postby Fire Storm on Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:00 am

Infinity-Iz-Blue wrote:Were did all the expertise go in retail? I'm too young to have enjoyed it, damnit!

I know, the bastards sold it...

We got sick of being treated like crap by the management and customers, plus we wanted more than minimum wage. They don't pay more for compotence, so those who knew what they were doing got more money by going somewhere else.

Remember: When it comes to employees, quantity is better than quality!
Fire Storm
Regular Poster

Postby Ghastly on Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:31 am

That's pretty much exactly what happened to expert retail help. Too many idiots to deal with for not enough money. That's why I left retail. Now adays stores know they'll not be able to attract anyone with expert knowledge so they don't even try. Any idiot off the street can get a job.
Ghastly
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to Ghastly's Ghastly Comic