ZEILA LOOKS PISSED!

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:14 pm

Ho ho! A new page of Thermalyte. The world rejoices! This one is really cool, AC, I think it is quite suspenseful. It looks like Zeila is ready to go berserk on Lucas' heinie.

Also the band in the back is interesting. I'm gathering that the lyrics were meant to coincide with the situation between Zeila and Luke?

One thing that I found kind of weird was the angle of Zeila and Luke as opposed to the stage. They look like they're standing straight whereas the stage and all the people look slanted up. In order to solve that you could either bring the stage down (but then that wouldn't fill the page that well) or position Luke and Zeila at an angle, so it'd be like looking down at them from maybe like a 15° angle.

Just some feedback, but nevertheless it looks great and I can't wait to see the rest of it!

Bryan
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Postby AnimeCanuck on Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:28 pm

heheh!

That's PERSPECTIVE!! Um.. the cameras are zoomed in to Zeila and Luke's mid sections.. and Zeila's standing up.. so.. The stage is really far away.. and.. yeah. *nods*
I know.. it does look a little weird. *sweatdrop*

And.. no..
That's not the mood music. Not yet.
That's just filler, background music in this strip. Wait until Friday's strip. Now THAT is "MOOD MUSIC"!
Heheheheh...

*giggles*

Thanks for giving me constructive criticism!

Oh yeah.. and.. THE WORLD?? That's a bit of a hyperbole, eh?

heheh.

(I could have said "More like the <i>universe</i>" but that's way too egotistical, and I know I'm not <i>that</i> good. So that would have been ruthless joking gone TOO FAR!)

Ja ne!
-AC

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AnimeCanuck on 2002-03-27 15:29 ]</font>
AnimeCanuck
Regular Poster

Postby Pooki on Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:12 pm

About March 27:

Okay, my two cents,
Yups, the stage does look different from the main characters on stage. If it were, me I would've made them into seperate frames. Anyhow, there is quite alot of gray under the table. I'm not too sure if you did that on purpose, or if Luke is also a wraith. My guess is you tried to draw legs under there, and it didn't work out too well...

Another major thing is, you waste alot of space. Well, I do too, but if you look at other manga (even Bryan's) you'll find that white space is pretty lacking. It's okay, however, on the bottom frame, because you need the space there (that's where the character's eyes go). Take my Akarui, page 4,5,6,8 all have too much white space for my liking. I rather prefer the first two, I made very good use of my space i think.

Okay, one last thing, try not to shade. What helped me push myself further (in drawing manga) was forcing myself to make solid defined lines. I used to dread drawing hands and i hid it by making it really fuzzy, with the lines very very unclear. Don't focus too much on things like Luke's hair (which is highlighted pretty well i think) or Zeila's eyes (which is also very nicely done) and work on other things, like drawing your characters consistantly (Zeila's missing some bangs isn't she on the bottom frame? her hairstyle has changed quite alot throughout the scenes)

Find some stronger, thicker paper, find a good eraser, and start off drawing using very very light lines. Light enough for you to see, but not dark enough to leave a smudge when you erase it. Believe it or not, my newer comics are all done in pencil, and I erase numerous times! You can hardly tell because I actually have two mechanical pencils, one is stocked with the lightest lead i could get, and the other is a regular 2B. I draw with the light lead as freely as I want, trying to get what I want, erasing as many times as I need to, and if I achieve what I want, I go over with the darker pencil.

Okay, that was quite a few two cents...
KoioSuru
Don't tease the stuffed bear:
<a href="http://www.freelancedreams.com/">http://www.freelancedreams.com/</a>
Pooki
Regular Poster

Postby AnimeCanuck on Fri Mar 29, 2002 12:04 pm

Thanks for your dime! I mean, your time!

(heheh)

Yeah.. Well.. I'm trying to shade because Kern (of http://www.drowtales.com) keeps telling me to practice shading. And I need to practice that, because I suck at that.

And yes.. I wasted WAY to much space on that page. I fully agree. I knew that when I was done, but couldn't really do anything about it. *shrugs* I think I can draw pretty well with clean lines.. well.. other than body forms. And yes.. I need thicker paper!!!! Especially since my writing pad (yes.. that's what I draw on) is down to its last 10-20 pages (it started with 200 I believe.. back in the day). I have good pencils.. A box of 10 Staedler pencils! I have everything from 2H to 8B! ^^ I tend to stick around the HB, though, 'cause I like it. And.. I can't ever stop shading the eyes and Luke's hair! No!! But.. You're right.. I need to practice on their consistancy.. ESPECIALLY Zeila's, and all the other characters other than Luke.
But I don't feel it really matters "How many" things of hair she has.. THat's why it changes. I just have to get the STYLE and the LENGTH the same.. not to mention her FACE, and learn how to draw BODIES better! .. Man.. those are thin little arms..

And about the table.. Yeah.. First it was supposed to be Luke's legs.. then leaving it how it is now.. its supposed to be the shadow of the table under the table.. Yeah... *nods* I know it looks utterly horrible and sloppy.

Shoot I suck.. SEE GILLIKIN!? I DO SUCK!
But.. Well.. I am improving.. kinda.
I can draw faces better now! ... ehehehehh.. And eyes a whole bunch better than when I started drawing this a year ago!

But even then.. I seemed to have more passion.. and I drew my strips with more of a flair.. (and it showed!) Now their just.. Blech.. ... So.. yeah.

I feel like crud again..
Bryan!! Will you come and feel crummy with me, please!?? It makes me feel better! (well.. it did last time).. I know.. I'll think about Keriel's eye.. Nope.. Not working.. That was too great of a picture.. *sigh*...

Well.. Back to reading Pooki archives! And after that, ON TO SOC/Pelo crossover! ^_^

Ciao! ^^

-AC
<A HREF="http://nafta.keenspace.com">Image</A>
Hot girls. <i>Litterally</i>. <a href="http://thermalyte.keenspace.com">Thermalyte</a>
AnimeCanuck
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:03 pm

On 2002-03-28 13:12, pooki wrote:
Another major thing is, you waste alot of space. Well, I do too, but if you look at other manga (even Bryan's) you'll find that white space is pretty lacking. It's okay, however, on the bottom frame, because you need the space there (that's where the character's eyes go).

Well personally, I've been trying hard to use white space effectively, because when done right , it really brings out the picture. Basically, that's what white space does, brings out an object. Usually, when you have white space, or a very minimal background, you want to compensate for it in the main object. Not doing so will tend to make your picture look "lazy" or "hastily made" (which I am not implying about <i>AC's</i> page...I mean in general). Like Rohan Hill for example, the background is totally blank, and the foreground is not much to see either, so it looks "hastily made". I get away with it because that's what it's meant to be! ^_^ So I don't think whitespace is bad, it is used in a lot of manga - it just has to be compensated somehow...well , usually. But I won't get into that.

Okay, one last thing, try not to shade. What helped me push myself further (in drawing manga) was forcing myself to make solid defined lines...

That's a good bit of advice, especially if you want your comic to stop being so unsure. Koio's right in that when we're unsure, we tend to not be so bold in our drawing, and using shading as a way to hide stuff is not an effective way of drawing something nor is it a good thing to do when you're learning to draw stuff. Things should be out in the open. Being bold is part of that.
But I wouldn't completely overrule shading. Shading is its own aesthetic, and used in the right way (that is, to <i>shade</i>) it can lead to some really nice pictures. Sometimes you need the right tools to shade. Don't shade like I do in Pelolos! Get some shading style pencils if you do. But I say keep it up.

Bryan
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Postby AnimeCanuck on Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:41 pm

What do you mean, "Don't shade like I do in Pelolos,"!???? Pelolos is great! (okay.. so maybe you did some lazy shading on a FEW strips.. but the rest were really great!)

Hmmm.. I'm confused now! O.o!!

-AC
<A HREF="http://nafta.keenspace.com">Image</A>
Hot girls. <i>Litterally</i>. <a href="http://thermalyte.keenspace.com">Thermalyte</a>
AnimeCanuck
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Wed Apr 03, 2002 11:30 pm

Really lazy!!!!
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Return to Thermalyte