Virus

Postby Pinot on Sun Aug 05, 2001 5:38 am

Jeff, in case you don't pick up the email I sent last night for some reason, I thought I'd better write to you here.<P>That doriangray file was indeed a paper my daughter wrote (two years ago, actually, when she was still in high school), but I didn't send it to you. A virus that infected my computer without my knowing it sent it and other Word files from my hard drive to people all over the place. Not only people in my address book, but it picked up addresses from notes in my inbox and other saved email folders.<P>From notes that were sent back to me as "undeliverable", I figures out last night that it was my son who opened an attachment and infected my computer! And he's not even home to yell at! He left Friday for two week "long cruise" with the Sea Scouts.<P>Jeff, I do feel just awful about this. Send me your delivery address and I will order Norton Antivirus and have it sent to you. Or, if you've already gone and bought it, let me know and I'll reimburse you for it. We had to go out and buy it yesterday. It's $40.<P>You'd think we'd have it on our computer already...it automaticahlly came with our newest one...but I'm so careful not to do anything risky online, that I naively thought it wouldn't be a problem.<P>I've been using the Internet for 9 years, so I guess I'm lucky that this is the first time something like this has happened. <P>You know, I don't understand the kind of depravity it takes to write one of these viruses. Why would someone what to hurt a whole bunch of people they don't even know? And it's not like they can actually SEE the distruction and laugh at it, like if they made someone trip and fall for example. I just don't get it. It makes me very angry and extremely sad at the same time.<P>I totally feel violated!! There are many personal letters in my files, stuff that could be potentially embarrassing for just anybody and everybody to have. I'm glad it wasn't worse than my daughter's paper and some script. <P>And the fact that this virus was sent out to everyone I know online, and even lots of people I've never heard of, with MY NAME ON IT is the real killer!! <P>Anyway, Jeff, I truly am very sorry about this. So far you're the only one I know of that was infected. I've sent out warnings so maybe you will be the last. Please let me know what I have to do to make it up to you.<P>Dawn
Pinot
Regular Poster

Postby Pinot on Sun Aug 05, 2001 7:25 am

Good news, Jeff!! There is a FREE FIX for the virus I gave you. My husband sent you a note about it, so you can clean it off your system.<P>I hope this hasn't caused a lot of problems for you. Please let me know.<P>Dawn
Pinot
Regular Poster

Postby Wimpystuntmen on Mon Aug 06, 2001 5:41 am

Don't worry about it Dawn. I do have Norton's but I had class last night so haven't had a chance to fix it. I'm annoyed it didn't immediately pick up that it was a virus. Maybe I need to update it which I can do over the internet. I emailed everyone I had on my address book though since I use yahoo mail I don't know whether they've received anything? I'm hoping maybe it only works if you use microsoft outlook.<P>I know what you mean about personal word files. I've got some stuff on my computer that is personal and for my eyes only. Anyway, don't worry about it. Tonight I'll go in and check out what word files I do have - hopefully there's nothing too embarrassing.
Wimpystuntmen
Regular Poster

Postby Pinot on Thu Aug 09, 2001 7:14 am

Hi Jeff. <P>Did you get it all cleaned up yet? I hope so.<P>I talked to Lee yesterday. He emailed my script to one of the artists and sent it by snail mail to the other. I don't see how I could work with someone who doesn't do email, so I hope the first guy is a good match!<P>That one is supposed to get back to Lee some time next week. <P>It's already August, so I'm starting to feel like we need to start making some good progress quickly if we're going to get that January launch!<P>I've been really busy at work and haven't had ANY time to write. I haven't been feeling real well for the past few weeks at least. I found out why tonight. Went to give blood and they wouldn't take it! Seems I'm very anemic. I had no idea. I've never been anemic before.<P>Lord it's been HOT here in Oregon today!!<P>
Pinot
Regular Poster

Postby Wimpystuntmen on Thu Aug 09, 2001 9:06 am

Dawn I haven't quite got around to cleaning it all up yet. It's going to be my job for Saturday. I've printed and downloaded all the info I need though at work.<P>Haven't written very much at all in 2001 having changed jobs. The bonus of not being a professional cartoonist without commitments is that I can stop and start when I want, however, I do want to take the step up. At work you've got all the politics and pettiness that gets pretty annoying and you think, "I don't need this" (a bit like toontalk sometimes!). But then a normal job is easy money compared to cartooning in many ways.<P>If I was given the opportunity I'd go the syndicated route though.<P>Anemic, yeah, half the women I know are anemic. I'm the other way and have slightly too much iron based on my last check up. <P>Writing is hard when you don't have the time. 80% of my writing is done first thing in the morning when I wake up (only one day per week). Usually the first half hour is slow then the ideas flow but after about 2 hours I've had enough. Staying away from "time chewers" like toon talk as you are doing is a good idea. You don't gain anything and those few hours a week can be put to much better use.<P>I hope your artists are a good match.
It's cold here being winter. Can't wait for the heat personally.<P>Take care.
Wimpystuntmen
Regular Poster

Postby Throbbin Johnny on Fri Aug 10, 2001 5:15 am

Dawn, Johnny used to manage several GNC's/Vitamin Shoppe's, and when people are anemic, here's what Johnny showed them:
#1. <I>SOLGAR GENTLE IRON</I>
You want gentle iron so that you don't get constipated, which iron can do. This product is also time-released, which means the nutrients get released slowly into your blood stream. This was a very popular product. <P>#2. <I>SOLGAR PRE-NATAL</I>
If you aren't taking a multi, try a pre-natal. Pre-natal's, of course, are usually used only by pregnant women, but they are better than most multi's for women for two reasons:
#1. MORE IRON! Most multi's give 10-18mg of iron, but a pre-natal USUALLY gives 25mg!

#2. MORE CALCIUM! Most multi's give 50-200mg, Pre-natals supply around 500mg. Also, the magnesium is around 200-300mg.<P>You can buy these online at the Vitamin Shoppe.com, or Solgar.com. Go for the larger size on the pre-natal, as the daily suggested use is 4 tablets. <P>Here in Mass, the heat has rendered Johnny virtually uncreative! It's too hot to sit under a drawing lamp, or in front of the computer. Bring on winter!<P>"Throbbin' Johnny
Throbbin Johnny
Regular Poster

Postby Wimpystuntmen on Fri Aug 10, 2001 7:09 am

Virus all gone now. Phew!
Johnny, you wouldn't believe it but when I was in my early 20's and before a knee injury I was a gym instructor. I love this kind of stuff and the exercise info you give. I really would love to go back to Uni and do some sort of sports science degree. Maybe if I win the lottery. Maybe if I get syndicated (or won't I have the time then?).
Wimpystuntmen
Regular Poster

Postby Pinot on Sat Aug 11, 2001 3:01 am

Glad that's all cleaned up, Jeff! Lucky for him, my son doesn't come home for another week. If he had been here when I learned he infected my computer, I would have really ripped into him.<P>Thanks for the suggestions, Johnny! Guess I'll have to go do some shopping later today. It's only 3:45 am now. One of those night when I just can't sleep. After lying in bed for 2 hours, I finally decided I may as well just get up. <sigh><P>Jeff, I'm curious, too, about the time that's going to be required once the panel starts printing everyday. It's a rather scary thing when you think about it. I mean, here you're expected to be funny every single day for endless years. That's an awesome responsibility. I cranked out the first 6 weeks of Cloud 8 in days, but after a while, after all the "obvious" gags are gone, I'm sure it's going to get much harder.<P>My plan is to quit working next spring or summer, so I won't as much distraction and pull on my time. By the time Cloud 8 launches it will be 6 years I've invested in this effort of getting syndicated! I don't want to blow it now, by not devoting the time it deserves.<P>Speaking of which, Brian Bassett, who does Adam@home, once told me that when he first got syndicated he was still the editorial cartoonist for the Seattle paper and so he gave his strip step-child treatment. Based on his repuation he had a terrific launch, but papers started cancelling him when the strip did live up to expectations. Then he got fired from the editorial gig, lost that income and had to devote a more concentrated effort on his strip. By then, it was too late. He said after all the years that have passed, those editors who dropped him won't pick him back up again. "Newspaper editors have long memories," he said. Adam is only in about 200 papers. Revamping it, giving it a new spin by making it Adam@home didn't even help.<P>I don't want that to happen to me! <P>
Pinot
Regular Poster

Postby Throbbin Johnny on Sat Aug 11, 2001 8:28 am

Adam@home is a great toon. Very funny, with funny art. Johnny often wonders about the time it takes to create. As wimpy said, as unsyndicated folks, we can start and stop at will, with nay repercussions. Not so at the syndicated level...<P>Johnny is developing a panel for the supplement co. J.Diddy works for, and has draaaaaaaaagged his creative heels! The heat kills Johnny, AC or not. Johnny plans to build a war chest of art this winter, so this won't happen next summer!<P>wimpy the PT? It gets boring, aye? Johnny worked at 2 clubs PTing, as well as mornings in a physical therapists office as a helper, taking folks through their routines. Managing a gym was fun-to a point. It was great on the ladies front, but ultimately not the challenge Johnny wanted. Also, being in the gym 24/7 killed Johnny's passion for bodybuilding. You'd think it would be the other way around, but it weren't. Exercise is fun and important to J.Diddy, and helping people was/is rewarding. Johnny only trains himself now, even though there are PT offers from former clients to resume their traing w/Johnny. Burnt out on that level after 4 intense years of it...<P>"Throbbin' Johnny
Throbbin Johnny
Regular Poster

Postby Yupyop on Sun Aug 19, 2001 12:54 am

What do you Brian Basset fans think of RED & ROVER (at comics.com site)?
Yupyop
Regular Poster

Return to Elephant Tales