question

Discussion on the Comics, the Games, and the Comics about the Games

Postby Petersonhank on Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:56 pm

how exactly do you take the background out of a game like say, Megaman. i've got nesticle but i dont know how exactly to do it.
Petersonhank

Postby ZOMBIE USER 5995 on Mon Apr 01, 2002 5:45 am

Simple! Just remove the sprite layer. I guess it would be nice to have an emulator that could do that first.
ZOMBIE USER 5995
Regular Poster

Postby Petersonhank on Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:57 am

does nesticle have that, if not, what other emulator has it.
Petersonhank

Postby Petersonhank on Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:14 pm

another question, what program does whoever use to make Oldskooled, is it some adobe program.
hooch
Petersonhank

Postby 8-Bit Avenger on Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:25 pm

I use MS Paint to make OldSkooled. In two past comics, I've applied filter effects in Adobe Photoshop to finished Paint images, so I really don't use a whole lot of Photoshop. There's no way I know of to 'extract' backgrounds. My advice is, when capturing images with the emulator, don't be afraid to pause (alt p in nesticle I think)and take pictures a few times. Then you can be sure you have every background element unobscured by a foreground sprite at some point.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 8-Bit Avenger on 2002-04-01 12:27 ]</font>
8-Bit Avenger
Regular Poster

Postby Drastic Measures on Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:39 pm

Of course, with Super Nintendo it's easy. ZSNES is able to disable the sprite layer by just pressing the number 5, then you press whatever key you set as the "snapshot" key in the "Game Keys" menu... but then, this is the Oldskooled board, and perhaps I shouldn't be talking of such things.
Helping solve the world's problems through overt cynicism and derision
Drastic Measures
Regular Poster

Postby Red Comet on Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:13 am

Funny I just take two or three snapshots of the area I want and have the sprites move around. With the combination of of these snapshots and with cutting and pasting I can get all of the background without any sprites. I guess that doesn't make much sense. Anyway after the first picture I I make sure all the previous parts of the background that were covered are now viewable with the sprite somewhere else.

I try to use Photoshop and Illustrator but I haven't quite got the hang of it. I really want to play around with sprite comics.
Red Comet

Postby 8-Bit Avenger on Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:27 pm

That's what I was trying to say too, I guess it's hard to put in words or something. It always just seemed to me like the harder I work on a background, the more likely it is that it'll just get covered up by text anyway. Heh.
<A HREF="http://oldskooled.disflux.net" TARGET=_blank>OldSkooled</A> - More fun than a barrel of monkeys... that throw barrels... at Italians.
8-Bit Avenger
Regular Poster

Return to OldSkooled