Another random topic of discussion...

Discussion on the Comics, the Games, and the Comics about the Games

Postby 8-Bit Avenger on Sun May 06, 2001 10:05 am

Sure, they're all called heroes, but do you think any videogame characters were truly inspiring? I'd have to say so. My personal hero would have to be Little Mac. He fought contenders who towered over him, against all odds, and with heart. You wonder if anyone told him, "Mac, you're hardly over 100 pounds! You can't be the world champ!" Was he brave, determined, or just dumb? It doesn't matter, because he still kicked ass.<P>That having been said, who do you think is inspiring?
8-Bit Avenger
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 157 on Mon May 07, 2001 12:04 am

ive always found link to be inspiring. im not sure why. i just have.<P>luigi inspired me too. he was always the second hand guy, the forgotten mario brother. but he was the better plumber! and he looked better in that green suit than mario and his flamboyantly red overalls! in the mario bros movie, didnt luigi get peach in the end? if not, he should have! GO LUIGI!!!!!!!!<P>------------------
pushit on me<P><A HREF="http://lint.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>lint:</A> still trying<A HREF="http://jfiles.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>The J Files: </A> it could be worse
ZOMBIE USER 157
Regular Poster

Postby Neo_Kojiro on Mon May 07, 2001 4:51 am

maybe because i came from the FF1 site (where in the red mage was the "winner" in least favorite character poll), or maybe because i'm sticking up for the underdog, but i'd have to say the Red Mage. no one seems to like him, he has a hand in everything, but cant master any one aspect, and still, he's out there, trying his hardest to beat the hell out of Chaos. that and his cape and hat looks cool.
Neo_Kojiro

Postby Jammon on Tue May 08, 2001 3:35 am

Hm . My favorite 'hero' ? Probably Toad . The poor little dude only got to be playable in one Mario game .. I mean , who wouldn't want to play as Toad in Super Mario 64 2 ? I bet he'd have some sort of parachute hat , instead of the flying wing hat .<P>------------------
I wish I could think of something witty .
Jammon
Regular Poster

Postby Boolean on Tue May 08, 2001 5:40 am

It looks like we're going for the 'underdog' heroes in this thread. In that case, I'd have to cast my vote with Super Joe, from Bionic Commando. He was the hero until he got captured, and even when Lad rescued him he went right back into duty blowing up the enemy base. And yet Lad now gets all the cheers. Poor Joe.
Boolean

Postby 8-Bit Avenger on Tue May 08, 2001 9:41 am

Ladd saves Super Joe's ass! Twice!
8-Bit Avenger
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 157 on Wed May 09, 2001 4:44 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jammon:
<B>Hm . My favorite 'hero' ? Probably Toad . The poor little dude only got to be playable in one Mario game .. I mean , who wouldn't want to play as Toad in Super Mario 64 2 ?
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>ME!!!!!! I HATE TOAD!!!! WHEN I LOST IN MARIO KART, HE LAUGHED AT ME! HE JUMPED AROUND "HAH HAH HAH YOU LOSE FAT-BOY!!!!!" i cryed and ran away and never played that game again...<P>true story<P>------------------
pushit on me<P><A HREF="http://lint.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>lint:</A> still trying<A HREF="http://jfiles.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>The J Files: </A> it could be worse
ZOMBIE USER 157
Regular Poster

Postby Jammon on Wed May 09, 2001 6:32 am

Could be worse . He could chant ' ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US ! MOVE ZIG ! YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DOING , FATBOY ! "<P>Which reminds me . Which is more frightening ? Miss Cleo , or Toad ?<P>------------------
Jammon
Regular Poster

Postby Zeros_theme on Wed May 09, 2001 11:13 am

megaman. i mean he only saved the world like 28 fucking times already or something.
Zeros_theme

Postby Czarrillo on Thu May 10, 2001 6:11 am

I'm gonna go for Toad too, he rocks my world.<P>------------------
zarrillo.keenspace.com<P>word
Czarrillo
Regular Poster

Postby G-Crusher on Fri May 11, 2001 4:34 am

Say what you will about Ladd [his hairdo's freakish, his gun, however huge, does little damage, and the f**ker can't jump to save his f**king life!!!], but in all respects, he took out Master-D with one shot, stared down Mr. Killt twice, got out before the base had a chance to explod [no, really, it was a typo in the game], and rescued Super Joe [twice you say?], and still has time to call home to Mother.<P>Now, that's what *sniff* I call a real... *weep* hero...<P>------------------
Beware... the fanboy flies at midnight.
G-Crusher
Regular Poster

Postby SimonBob on Sat May 12, 2001 9:07 am

Speaking of moving ZIG, I'd have to say the guy who flies the ZIG in Zero Wing is kinda insprirational. My reasoning? Your average ZIG has zero shields. None. Nada. One hit, you're dead. And yet this crazy guy pilots one into enemy airspace, chock full of guns, enemy ships, missles, all the crap that can take him down. Anyone that suicidal must be moderately inspirational.<P>I'd also give a tip of the hat to Mike from Startropics for proving that a yo-yo really is a dangerous weapon.
SimonBob
Regular Poster

Postby Jammon on Sat May 12, 2001 11:26 am

I've played Zero Wing . Good Lord , the first boss is hard as hell . I guess that was a game where the main guy was doomed to fail , and you had to help ... ay , that'd actually be an interesting game . You play as Bowser or some villian and try to foil the hero as much as possible . And you just sit in yiur big , Level 7-8 castle , twidding your thumbs and sending the occasional Goomba after the two plumbers . And when they finally get there , you're so out of shape from the Twinkies and sitting and the EverQuest , all youcan do is jump a few feetinto the air , spit out a big , yellow loogie , and try to throw an axe . Then Mario just throws a turtle shell at ya , hits you in the gut , and causes a massive coronary/heart attack/stroke . And Luigi laughs and then cries as he looks like his brother , but in white overalls and a green shirt . And thus , they go to save the Princess ... ah , but our Princess is in another castle !<P>------------------
Jammon
Regular Poster

Postby Darth_Ridley on Thu Jun 07, 2001 6:37 am

Ok..I didn't like Golgo 13 that much, but the hero has to be admired. I mean, he sleeps with the ladies and gets his energy back. I know I aspire to be more like him!
Darth_Ridley

Postby SimonBob on Fri Jun 08, 2001 10:06 am

He also eats bullets and recovers life... or is it the other way around?
SimonBob
Regular Poster

Postby Muzzy Roberto on Sat Jun 09, 2001 8:34 am

Well, if it's inspirational characters we're talking about... you gotta admire Strider Hiryu. First, he's given a bad-assed arcade game in 1989 that still amazes people to this day. Strider, not one to rest on his laurels, goes to the Capcom directory, in search of new work....<P>SH: So! Got anything for me?
CD: Do we ever! Everyone wants aboard the strider express! Sega wants to put STRIDER on theur new home system, the Genesis!
SH: Cool.
CD: Nintendo wants on, as well! But, they don't want STRIDER...
SH: Well, what do they want?
CD: They want Strider Hiryu, the person.
SH: Oh... So?
CD: Anyway, we got an action/adventure game lined up for you.<P>So, they released Strider for the NES. And it was good...<P>Kid: Wow! This Strider game kicks ass<P>Little Girl: Hey! That Strider's a LOT better looking than Mario!<P>But, good things don't last long...<P>CD: Strider! U.S. Gold wants to make a Strider 2 for the Sega!
SH: Strider 2?
CD: Yeah! They say they're gonna max out the Genesis! And, they're bringing Meiko into it, as well (Meiko was the bad guy in the Arcade Strider, just so you all know)
SH: Hmm... Sound Ok, but, Meiko and I just went at it. We had no 'real' reason to try and stop eachother...
CD: Well, now you do! He's gonna capture your girlfriend!
SH: I don't have a girlfriend!
CD: You do now! Bring her in!
SH: *groan*<P>Well, Strider 2 really, really sucked. And, as a result, Strider had a VERY hard time finding work.<P>SH: Any work for me?
CD: Nope. <P>So, down on his luck, Strider turned to drinking. Heavy Drinking. Big Giant Beer drinking!<P>SH: I'm pretty down. Give me another one of those Giant Beers, Newton.
NR: I think you've had enough.
*Poof!*
BF: I'm the Beer fairy, Strider!
SH: I think you're right. I have had enough.<P>But, fortunatly for Strider, he had a guardian angel... an angel in a red karate gi!<P>Ryu: So, Ken, hyped about Alpha 2?
Ken: Kinda.
Ryu: Why so down?
Ken: Well, my stage seems so empty.
Ryu: Empty? You have have all those other characters! All I have is snow...
Ken: But you LIKE snow!
Ryu: You have Morrigan, fecilia, and all those party go-ers!
Ken: I know. I need something more...<P>So, Ken went to the Capcom Director.<P>CD: Ken! Always so nice to see you, my boy! What can I do for you?
Ken: It's about my stage in Alpha 2...
CD: What about it?
Ken: It just seems that since I have all those fighters, maybe there can be a non-fighter cameo...
CD: Whoa! I know where you're going with this! And, I told Cody, I told Guy, and I'll tell you. Megaman is busy!
Ken: Not Megaman! I was thinking of like, Captian Commando.
CD: We can do that.
Ken: And Strider Hiryu.
CD: Strider Hiryu? That bozo? Ken, you're in Street Fighter! One of the most financially set games EVER! You don't need Strider Hiryu!
Ken: I like his games. I'd like to meet him.
CD: Fine...<P>So, ken's stage was getting ready. Strider Hiryu showed up, and talked with some of the 'new' Capcom stars.<P>Morrigan: Hey, you're Strider Hiryu, aren't you?
SH: Yes, I am.
Morrigan: You're a LOT better looking than Ken.
SH: Thanks... I think.
Morrigan: No! Really! Ken's rich and all, and he's DEFINENTLY gained some weight from Streef Fighter 2.
SH: Huh-uh...
Morrigan: You're slimmer than ever. See you by the pool!<P>So, the stage shoot over, Strider goes home. A few years pass by, and he gets a call.<P>SH: Hello?
Ken: Strider! What's going on? You got a minute?
SH: Sure. What's up?
Ken: Have you heard about Capcom's 'Marvel vs Capcom' project?
SH: Yeah, a little. Morrigan told me a bit about it yesterday. What's wrong? Didn't make the cut?
Ken: No, they're giving Ryu me and Akuma's powers.
SH: Yeah, that'll work...
Ken: Anyway, that's not why I called. They need a combo crazy character.
SH: A what?
Ken: Have you seen any of those cross-over games I was in?
SH: Yeah, I grazed X-men vs Street Fighter over for a bit. By the way, nice Dragon Punch.
Ken: Thanks, but you know how Wolverine plays? Real fast and combo intense?
SH: Yeah...
Ken: Well, Chun-Li usually does that, but she's got this new super move, and wants to be more of an 'air combo' person.
SH: I see...
Ken: Look, I'll cut it short. Everybody down here likes you, from Jin, to Megaman. You come down here, audition, and I'm damn sure you can get a job.
SH: Ok. I'll try that... Thanks.<P>So, Strider went down to MvC recruitment. And he blew them away.<P>Jin: Damn! Those are some flashy moves!
Roll: Love that Ouroboros! Wish I had something like that.<P>Then, Strider was called into the Director's office...<P>CD: Strider, baby! How's you been! Look, people LOVE you again! Love you! We want to do another Strider game!
SH: Oh, no. We did Strider 2, and it absolutly SUCKED!
CD: No, no! CAPCOM is going to do Strider 2! The way YOU want to do it.<P>And Strider 2 was made, and is still one of the best 2-D side scrollers out there. <P>And, If Strider Hiryu can pull himself out of the gutter, then I think ANYONE can pull himself out of the gutter.<P>
<P>------------------
Muzzy Roberto
Regular Poster

Postby Frogurt on Sat Jun 09, 2001 9:19 am

I think that was the most inspiring thing I've ever read.<P>------------------
<A HREF="http://oldskooled.disflux.net" TARGET=_blank>http://oldskooled.disflux.net</A><P>I just upkeep the site... he does all the funny stuff
Frogurt
Regular Poster

Return to OldSkooled