Best/worst MegaMan weapon ever?

Discussion on the Comics, the Games, and the Comics about the Games

Postby Boolean on Thu Apr 19, 2001 2:07 am

Given the recent comic theme, I think this question is begging to be asked. Which of Megaman's weapon powerups do you think was the best? Or the worst?<P>My personal favourite is the ring boomerang in MM4. Short range perhaps, but you can do some funky stuff with it depending on when you jump and shoot!<P>I think the most useless weapon was the Top Spin from MM3. It looks all badass, but it sucks to throw yourself at a big bad guy, only to realize that he doesn't get hurt by that weapon, but you get hurt by touching him!<P>(By the way, what's up with that whole thing where <I>physical contact</I> hurts the 'Man but not the bad guys?)
Boolean

Postby Kriggs on Thu Apr 19, 2001 3:30 am

IN terms of coolest weapon to use... I don't think I had any. If I had to pick, it would be PharoahMan's power, from MM4, because you could charge it. I actually loved all the weapons from MM1. Gutsman was pretty cool. As for lamest: Snakeman. I mean, what is up with that? oooo, snakes, save me!
And the one I never really found a use for: flashman. There was of course that level in, I think, quickman's stage (maybe heatman's though), with those damn horizontal zapping thingies. But I think using flashman's powerup just distracts me.
As for why you get hurt and not the enemy in the game: well, I have to admit it's sort of lame, but you have to blame almost all the games on the nintendo system for this... I found it pretty cool challenge-wise, without really paying attention to what makes sence. I just love all 8-bit games so much! I think Scott will back me up on that... or maybe not.<P>Oh, and finally, who looks funniest? I will vote metal man for looking like a metal-plated doctor (its all in that thingy on his forehead... are there still doctors who wear that, or is that only in cartoons? :), but I know they all look quite comical, so you can have fun with that.<P>Peace out.
Kriggs

Postby Kriggs on Thu Apr 19, 2001 3:40 am

IN terms of coolest weapon to use... I don't think I had any. If I had to pick, it would be PharoahMan's power, from MM4, because you could charge it. I actually loved all the weapons from MM1. Gutsman was pretty cool. As for lamest: Snakeman. I mean, what is up with that? oooo, snakes, save me!
And the one I never really found a use for: flashman. There was of course that level in, I think, quickman's stage (maybe heatman's though), with those damn horizontal zapping thingies. But I think using flashman's powerup just distracts me.
As for why you get hurt and not the enemy in the game: well, I have to admit it's sort of lame, but you have to blame almost all the games on the nintendo system for this... I found it pretty cool challenge-wise, without really paying attention to what makes sence. I just love all 8-bit games so much! I think Scott will back me up on that... or maybe not.<P>Oh, and finally, who looks funniest? I will vote metal man for looking like a metal-plated doctor (its all in that thingy on his forehead... are there still doctors who wear that, or is that only in cartoons? :), but I know they all look quite comical, so you can have fun with that.<P>Peace out.
Kriggs

Postby Fox_The_Seraph on Thu Apr 19, 2001 9:05 am

MUWHAHAHAAH... The most powerful?<P>Flash Stopper<P>Weakest?<P>Leaf Shield! I MEAN COME ON! IT'S A BUNCH OF LEAFS! WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO! GROW ME TO DEATH!<P>------------------
Fox_The_Seraph

Postby Boolean on Fri Apr 20, 2001 10:06 am

<P><I>Leaf Shield! I MEAN COME ON! IT'S A BUNCH OF LEAFS! WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO! GROW ME TO DEATH!
</I></P>
<P>Hahaha! Yeah, I forgot about that one. And it was especially useless because you couldn't even move while you had it on! In MM4 they figured out their mistake and the Skull Barrier was the result, although it was too weak to stop anything worthwhile.</P>
<P>Now that I think about it, I think Metal Man's Metal Blade deserves mention. It could go all 8 directions, couldn't it?</P>
Boolean

Postby ZergHunterD on Sat Apr 21, 2001 10:54 am

Metal Blade owns. Not only does it fire in all directions, but it's big enough to blow up things that the Mega Buster is too high to hit (like the worm dispensers) and has a whole freaken' ton of ammo. I don't think I've ever run out with it.<P>The worst weapon is probably the Charge Kick. It's about as useless as Top Spin, but at least Top Spin looks cool (and only uses energy if you hit something).
ZergHunterD

Postby 8-Bit Avenger on Mon Apr 23, 2001 4:17 am

Well, it appears as though ZerghunterD beat me to the punch... The best weapon is the Metal Blade, it uses 1/3 of a bar per shot, so it practically replaces the arm cannon.<P>I struggled to think of a weapon worse than the spin, and there is one: the aforementioned charge kick. Works along the same principle as the top spin, but yields no new frames of animation (and I have my own uses for frames of animation) and Chargeman is a pretty idiotic robot boss.<P>Rather than do nothing but restate, I will add that the coolest weapons (if you consider them weapons) were the magnet beam and the super arrow. The magnet beam was a transportational necessity best used in smallest amounts possible. The super arrow could save your ass at the last minute. Besides, the whole plunger-arrow-sticks-to-walls bit is pretty funny.<P>Oy, that's long.
8-Bit Avenger
Regular Poster

Postby Czarrillo on Mon Apr 23, 2001 5:11 am

Who else knew Scott was going to say the metal blade? Anybody?? Well.. I did..<P>------------------
zarrillo.keenspace.com<P>word
Czarrillo
Regular Poster

Postby Ken on Tue Apr 24, 2001 1:30 am

It all depends on what Megaman games you have played. If you've played Rockman and Forte, it wasn't released in America, you could play as Bass or Megaman. There is a Mine in that game that you can control the direction of it, detonate it in midair and all sorts of fun stuff. But, out of NES Megaman games I'd say that Gemini Laser was the best. It bounced off of walls!<P>------------------
Ken
Those Who Can't Draw
Ken

Postby SimonBob on Tue Apr 24, 2001 4:29 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fox_The_Seraph:
<B>Leaf Shield! I MEAN COME ON! IT'S A BUNCH OF LEAFS! WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO! GROW ME TO DEATH!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Obviously you aren't familiar with "Kill teh Birdies," the ancient martial art of using the Leaf Shield on a stage with egg-dropping birds to gain lots of extra lives. And the most useless weapon is the Wall-Climber from MM2. It takes full power to climb a single wall, when a couple of those floating thingies will do it better. Hmm, "floating thingies..." Don't you just love my highly technical terminology?
SimonBob
Regular Poster

Postby Czarrillo on Tue Apr 24, 2001 6:42 am

The wood shield definitely rules.<P>------------------
zarrillo.keenspace.com<P>word
Czarrillo
Regular Poster

Postby Fox_The_Seraph on Thu Apr 26, 2001 5:17 am

*Mega Man blinks, "What did you just do???"<P>*Leaf Man, "AI! HIT! YAH! WIH! DAH! LEAF!"<P>*Mega Man blasts him to oblivion, "*snicker* LOOSER!"
Fox_The_Seraph

Postby SimonBob on Thu Apr 26, 2001 6:56 am

More like "Mega Man's shots are deflected by the shield and Wood Man* kills him in seconds." Unless Crash Bombs are involved.<P>*Hey, is he "Wood Man" or "Leaf Man?" I'd check but my NES is broken.<p>[This message has been edited by SimonBob (edited 04-26-2001).]
SimonBob
Regular Poster

Postby Frogurt on Thu Apr 26, 2001 8:43 am

His name is Wood Man, you gain the Leaf Shield from defeating him.<P>------------------
<A HREF="http://oldskooled.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>http://oldskooled.keenspace.com</A><P>I just upkeep the site... he does all the funny stuff
Frogurt
Regular Poster

Postby MetalMan on Sat Apr 28, 2001 12:55 am

As you can probably tell by my name, it's Metal Blade all the way. Leaf shield rocks, as the aformentioned Little Bird Killer. I think one of the best weapons in terms of uses is the Boomerang from Quickman, which tears up the Dragon on the first part of Dr. Wily's Fortress up in a second, less then a second with turbo! sweet
MetalMan

Postby DrummerErb on Sat Apr 28, 2001 10:14 am

Hey, new here. Love the comic. Is rawks. And yes, the best weapon WAS the Metal Blade. I always played that stage first, and then used the MB for the rest of the game. Just wish it could of killed those little bouncy spring thing enemies.<P>The worst weapon was probably Dust Man's....it was just like the blade...but not as handy, not 8 directional, and was just crap. Rehashes weapons suck.<P>How about what was the most annoying enemy ASIDE from a boss. I personally think it was the Robo Cat in Top Man's stage. I just could never get the hang of those damn yarn balls. Oh well.<P><P>------------------
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Joshua Erb
http://NerdNoOtaku.keenspace.com
DrummerErb

Postby The_Ninja on Fri May 04, 2001 11:13 am

The best weapon in opinion is the Metal Blades you can fire every direction and they don't drain much weapon energy in use.<P>The worst must be... NAPALM BOMBS! I mean hitting anytning at all with that short ranged crap weapon is a challenge...<P>------------------
Expect betrayal and your friends won't disappoint you
The_Ninja

Postby The_Ninja on Fri May 04, 2001 11:15 am

Ah yes the Leaf Shield is the best weapon against Air Man! <P>Two hits from it and Air Man is history...<P><P>------------------
Expect betrayal and your friends won't disappoint you
The_Ninja

Postby Boolean on Sun May 06, 2001 9:46 am

<I>How about what was the most annoying enemy ASIDE from a boss. I personally think it was the Robo Cat in Top Man's stage. I just could never get the hang of those damn yarn balls. Oh well.
</I><P>That's a tough call. All the enemies have a weak spot that, sooner or later, you discover and take advantage of. That said, the enemy that annoyed me most was the giant hippo in Ring Man's stage. With a Turbo controller you could just rip through it like nothing, but otherwise it was a pain dodging those slow-moving homing missiles. Every time I lined up a shot on the hippo I had to jump or slide...
Boolean

Postby Mcbride on Mon May 07, 2001 8:37 am

I think the best weapon megaman ever busted out was charging up his buster, an then backing off an letting Zero do all the word. It's all about the z saber XD<P>but if we're gonna stay old school i truly think the buster was my favorite weapon. it never ran out and once you were able to charge it it got that much better. although personally i woulda just sent rush in to do all the work. he was a pretty shitty guard dog. if i had a robot dog that could fly i wouldnt go in fighting i'd send the pup. an if that didnt work well i never liked roll that much anyways :P <P>
but yeah megamasn best weapon was callin zero to clean up the mess. definetly ^_^<P>~Arion Mcbride<P>Angel@igs.net <A HREF="http://cafe-lain.org/Kokoro/index.html" TARGET=_blank>http://cafe-lain.org/Kokoro/index.html</A>
Mcbride

Next

Return to OldSkooled