VRPG reality?

Postby Wyrm on Thu Dec 13, 2001 2:48 am

<A HREF="http://www.teleportec.com" TARGET=_blank>www.teleportec.com</A> <P>Yes, this is real. It's an actual company based in Richardson and they have already demenstrated this on several occasions.<P>------------------
Wyrm

Postby Drakkenmaw on Wed Dec 19, 2001 8:36 am

That... that is cool. I'd like a 3-D tv.<P>However, I don't think something like VRPG could be accomplished on it. You'd need a REALLY big room to do a complete world, and you'd cause some world-distortion by your presence alone.
Drakkenmaw
Regular Poster

Postby Wyrm on Fri Dec 21, 2001 7:57 am

True, but if this thing has been in development for as long as it claims, then I wouldn't be surprised if it would be possible.
I jsut thought some of you would like that.
Wyrm

Postby Drakkenmaw on Wed Dec 26, 2001 10:44 am

Some of us?<P>::Looks around him::<P>::Looks again::<P>::Chirping crickets can be heard::<P>You mean me, right?<P>I guess I'm the official VRPG "board guy." Since there's no one else here.<P>The problem with trying to use a projection system to create realistic world/object/people maps is a simple one. Simply by being there, you'd block some of the projection and cause significant distortion in the world. Attempting to interact with things would cause worse problems. Such systems would be best used as 3D televisions, or as a replacement for actual physical presence in meetings. It doesn't work well in physical interactivity, which is highly necessary for something like VRPG.<P>A VR visor/suit would be the best solution to the problem, actually. In fact, given the level of chemical synthesis ability we have now then by the time of VRPG those suits should have the capability to also simulate smells and tastes for VR-users. If people are willing to pay for a large basin of chemical monomers and unconnected building blocks for the ability. As well as having their breathing regulated by the suit, since it's hard to connect something that attatches to your tongue without also having something to make sure you can still breathe.<P>Of course, the question is whether it would just be better to let people who want smells/tastes to pay more only once and get a neural link-up instead of paying every single time the tank runs out.<P>Another question is how my train of thought drifted so wildly.<p>[This message has been edited by Drakkenmaw (edited 12-26-2001).]
Drakkenmaw
Regular Poster

Return to VRPG