*gasp*

*gasp*

Postby Pooki on Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:07 am

egad!

ok, I am officially stunned, shocked, amazed, and in awe of some recent web-comicing work that I have seen...
and they have all been penned by one Bryan Wong.

First of all, I'll start with Nafta, even though that's a totally different forum. The most recent comic, was in my opinion, was an absolute wonderful save. Not only did it tie together most of what the others laid out, but it did so in an insanely funny fashion, without being illogical! I mean, it makes perfect sense! or at least, as much sense as a comic jam is suppose to make...
Either way, the only thing wrong I see about it, is that you forgot the copyright infringement with Scooby-Doo.

Okay, I'm trying to figure something out to say about the recent issues of SOC. The first thing though, is that I haven't seen any artwork on there recently that impressed me. Criticism aside though, I have read dialogue/writing there that has! Not that I can point out anything in particular though. I can't make sense of why I feel that way, but I am certain of this: I am stuck on this series, I must find out what happens. If this were in print, I would be first in line at the comic store on the day that the shipments come in, and I would be in rehab in the other days of the month to treat my withdrawl.

I am lastly, and mostly, in awe about the ending of Pelolos.
There, in your last 20 pages, I have seen the most wonderfully rendered mix of art and writing.
I would say I have seen art that jumped out and bit my tush. Most notably, Scantilla's pose on Day6.Page65.Frame2. The expression is right, the eyes are looking at me, and the subtle pencil details... That is an image that would make a good poster. And if you don't make one with it, I might.
I could go on and on and on and on. But I know the sensible side of you would rather prefer more critiscism than praise, and we all know how much praise you've been receiving as of late, but I find little to critique. Truth be told, I'm very happy with all the work that I've seen. The only criticism I have to offer at the moment, is that I am insanely angry at the fact that SOC doesn't update on a MTWTFSS schedule...

~shu
KoioSuru
Don't tease the stuffed bear:
<a href="http://www.freelancedreams.com/">http://www.freelancedreams.com/</a>
Pooki
Regular Poster

Re: *gasp*

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:02 pm

pooki wrote:egad!

ok, I am officially stunned, shocked, amazed, and in awe of some recent web-comicing work that I have seen...
and they have all been penned by one Bryan Wong.

First of all, I'll start with Nafta, even though that's a totally different forum. The most recent comic, was in my opinion, was an absolute wonderful save. Not only did it tie together most of what the others laid out, but it did so in an insanely funny fashion, without being illogical! I mean, it makes perfect sense! or at least, as much sense as a comic jam is suppose to make...

Comic jams such as COL are ones where the plot isn't entirely created on a "stream of consciousness" (even though there are plenty of jams like those). Thus, the plot has so be somewhat coherent, and I always feel it's one's duty to tie up as many loose ends as they can, as well as introduce a few more. I will be honest, after AC's last comic I had no idea what to do. The comic's situation was already so extremely complicated, that I had to find a way to "purge" some of the characters. That's kind of how I came up with the copyright infringement idea. However, it's up to the others to decide whether they really get eaten, or if they get saved. That's the fun part about a jam. You have no idea where it's gonna go next, and really, you don't have to worry about it until your turn is next.

Either way, the only thing wrong I see about it, is that you forgot the copyright infringement with Scooby-Doo.

Damn, you're right! I forgot about the Scooby-Dooness..although that was kind of a referential, parodying thing, rather than actually having Ami or Goku as themselves in the picture.

Okay, I'm trying to figure something out to say about the recent issues of SOC. The first thing though, is that I haven't seen any artwork on there recently that impressed me.

Well, hmm, to agree with you I haven't really done any character or peripheral stuff that would come to mind mind or strike me as outstanding either. However I have been playing around and experimenting with some of the layouts and styles and enjoyed many of the results. Also, what was going through my head today was how the really strange stuff kinda usually happens near the end of the episodes. It seems like a trend that the first few pages are really grounded into the earth, and hence have a tendency towards not being <i>as</i> artistic as near the middle and even more in the end. This episode will gradually shift into some very interestingly serene gears in the middle, and furthermore will have quite a weird ending...well, probably weirder than the previous ones and the few ones to come.

Criticism aside though, I have read dialogue/writing there that has! Not that I can point out anything in particular though. I can't make sense of why I feel that way, but I am certain of this: I am stuck on this series, I must find out what happens. If this were in print, I would be first in line at the comic store on the day that the shipments come in, and I would be in rehab in the other days of the month to treat my withdrawl.

Wow, I didn't know SOC would be so addictive! But I wonder, what exactly do you want to find out what happens? Is it a general thing of where the story is headed, or are there questions that you want answered? I'd love to hear what people who follow the story anticipate as it progresses, because I never intended to be a mystery or have severely dangling questions.

I am lastly, and mostly, in awe about the ending of Pelolos.
There, in your last 20 pages, I have seen the most wonderfully rendered mix of art and writing.
I would say I have seen art that jumped out and bit my tush. Most notably, Scantilla's pose on Day6.Page65.Frame2. The expression is right, the eyes are looking at me, and the subtle pencil details... That is an image that would make a good poster. And if you don't make one with it, I might.

Thanks for the nice words. Although I basically drummed up most of the jokes and plot on the spot, and drew relatively quickly, there can be something said for the magic of spontaneity. Quick lines demonstrate fluid motion, and quick words propell the story along. I'm glad you like that picture of Scantilia.

I could go on and on and on and on. But I know the sensible side of you would rather prefer more critiscism than praise, and we all know how much praise you've been receiving as of late, but I find little to critique. Truth be told, I'm very happy with all the work that I've seen. The only criticism I have to offer at the moment, is that I am insanely angry at the fact that SOC doesn't update on a MTWTFSS schedule...
~shu

You know I so wish I could update quicker. But the way art demands, it is really hard to pump out a whole lot in one week. Each page requires a lot of thought and work to be finished. Moving the story along is something that I want to do. I definitely don't want to dwell on only one episode more than half a year, but sometimes I have no choice. That does affect the art, because then I try to put too much on one page; if I could, I would expand each story to 30 pages with half the dialog on each page..but that would take insanely longer, unless I simplified the art the way manga does sometimes.

Then there's a part of me saying what's the hurry? I haven't seen any end for Seasons Of Constancy. There is no real finite goal for me to reach at the moment. So I could take my time. But that would be too slow for the readers. So there's a lot of inner conflict going on with regards to how much I can do and how much I should do.

Anyway, I've talked too long. Thanks for your opinion!
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Postby AnimeCanuck on Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:24 pm

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!
Pelo's OVER!?

I must go see!!!!

But first...

Shu, you said "I have read dialogue/writing there that has! Not that I can point out anything in particular though. I can't make sense of why I feel that way, but I am certain of this: I am stuck on this series, I must find out what happens. If this were in print, I would be first in line at the comic store on the day that the shipments come in, and I would be in rehab in the other days of the month to treat my withdrawl."

And I would definately have to agree. The story has really come along especially with Chapter 3 and the beginning of Chapter 4. (or.. um.. are we still on 3? I'm confused.. XD)

Again, Shu said that your art in SoC hasn't really changed much, and I'd have to agree again there.. but I think that's not quite so bad. It shows a stable-ness.. Something that none of my comics or art seem to possess. The closest I've come was last week's CoL strip. But in the midst of that, the character's have changes themselves... like Osi's hair pulled back. I thought that looked really nice. ^^

Anyways, Bryan, you asked "I wonder, what exactly do you want to find out what happens? Is it a general thing of where the story is headed, or are there questions that you want answered?"

Well, for me, it's mostly the general idea of where the story is headed. I'm enjoying it THAT MUCH!!! But on top of that, I'm also wondering if Osi and En'Chin will ever get it together. They are beginning to make a very cute couple. And now that my mind has been wandering around... I just wondered... Did Kleisse win the car?! (wayyyyyy back from the first page?)

Well.. Off to go read your comics!
I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanna draw CoL right now, but I can't. I'm so tired! That early morning drama class of mine has really drained me. *ugh* so it looks like my strip will be late once again.
AnimeCanuck
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:40 pm

AnimeCanuck wrote:Shu, you said "I have read dialogue/writing there that has! Not that I can point out anything in particular though. I can't make sense of why I feel that way, but I am certain of this: I am stuck on this series, I must find out what happens. If this were in print, I would be first in line at the comic store on the day that the shipments come in, and I would be in rehab in the other days of the month to treat my withdrawl."

And I would definately have to agree. The story has really come along especially with Chapter 3 and the beginning of Chapter 4. (or.. um.. are we still on 3? I'm confused.. XD)

We are on chapter 4. You can verify that on the bottom of each page. When it says I.4.11, it means volume 1, chapter 4, page 11.

Again, Shu said that your art in SoC hasn't really changed much, and I'd have to agree again there.. but I think that's not quite so bad. It shows a stable-ness.. Something that none of my comics or art seem to possess. The closest I've come was last week's CoL strip. But in the midst of that, the character's have changes themselves... like Osi's hair pulled back. I thought that looked really nice. ^^

I've noticed a few little differences here and there with the style of my art. Of course it's been more than an year, and in a year you are bound to improve somewhat. I guess in the last year I haven't really been improving much! That's too bad.

And what you say character's have changes, I think as I've said before, just like people in real life, their looks always change slightly, whether it be a new haircut or what. You can notice these changes every now and then.

Anyways, Bryan, you asked "I wonder, what exactly do you want to find out what happens? Is it a general thing of where the story is headed, or are there questions that you want answered?"

Well, for me, it's mostly the general idea of where the story is headed. I'm enjoying it THAT MUCH!!!

Hmm...well, I don't want to give away too much (well you're probably not asking really) , and part of the fun is finding out what happens next.

I promise you aliens won't invade or we find out Osi has psychic powers or anything like that, stuff like that you can rule out. Otherwise, anything and <i>everything</i> else is fair game, and I do intend to take it to some very weird and serious moments. It will be awhile, as the story has a lot to develop before it is in full bloom.

But on top of that, I'm also wondering if Osi and En'Chin will ever get it together. They are beginning to make a very cute couple.

Heh, well, we'll see how it goes. I have some good ideas of where it's headed, but their relationship is still relatively fresh in my mind. It'll be most likely a very organic growth, so nothing too dramatic. But I'll make sure to add in the important punctuations.

And now that my mind has been wandering around... I just wondered... Did Kleisse win the car?! (wayyyyyy back from the first page?)

No, she didn't. I'm sorry, Kleisse.

Well.. Off to go read your comics!
I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanna draw CoL right now, but I can't. I'm so tired! That early morning drama class of mine has really drained me. *ugh* so it looks like my strip will be late once again.

Well, remember I will be leaving this sunday, so if you want me to contribute one last COL before I leave I'll need your comic in a reasonable amount of time. Otherwise, if you have the idea sketched out, you can tell me and maybe I won't have to see it per se.

I'm out!
Bryan
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Return to Seasons of Constancy