happy anniversary

Postby Pooki on Sat Mar 23, 2002 7:43 pm

"For me, it's keeping fierce. Raaarrgh!"
"...I still want it to come out of your screen and bite you in the @$$. If that happens to you and you want to sue me for proctological damages, make sure to tell me and I'll go out and buy myself a chocolate cake!"

That was a pretty good rant. I liked the honesty. Me and you seem to be quite alike in some respects (Akarui does resemble SoC in presentation style - i think - we should have our own genre) including unsureness, writing from the heart-ness, and attitude towards our comic-ness. I totally understand about how an artist desperately needs feedback and motivation. So I'll try my best to let you know what I think about whatever you decide to put up. Not only do I find myself with some free time on my hands nowadays, but I decided I should play a part in helping other people. Not to say I'm very knowledgable about making comics, but I know what I like, and what I don't (most of the time). So anything I say is just my opinion, can be used against me in the court of law, and should be taken with as much salt as possible.
Pooki
Regular Poster

Postby Pooki on Sat Mar 23, 2002 7:48 pm

starting with today's:

I like the progress of youngest/shortest to oldest/tallest. With them all following in tow and the girl picking up what's being thrown behind by the guy (who, you?) It's so open to interpretation, and that's one thing I like (I like things that are open to interpretation, but I also like thats that are very clear/precise)

Anyhow, to nit-pick: The gal's eyes look a little odd. I think they should look down at what she's picking up.
Also, the shadows going down the comic doesn't match the lighting on the people.

Another thought, when I first saw the grizzle smoke coming off the guy's head, I thought it spelt out some letters... Then I realized it didn't and I thought how cool it would be if it HAD spelt out some letters, but still remained grizzled smoke. (I just made up that word: grizzled)

Just my thoughts
KoioSuru
Don't tease the stuffed bear:
<a href="http://www.freelancedreams.com/">http://www.freelancedreams.com/</a>
Pooki
Regular Poster

Postby AnimeCanuck on Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:22 am

Hey.. that would be neat, Koio!
If the tornado of frustration spelled out some words! (What an interesting word you have coined, by the way.. Grizzled.. Hm... I like it! I has feeling! Meaning! And seems to perfectly describe that smoke! Heh. ^^)

I just wanted to say that I also agree about the feedback thing.. And that I too thought that that was you at the front of the line..

It was my first impression that it WAS you.. But then I thought for a moment that it could be Pikhe.. but then its not.

My interpretation of that pic was based off of my first impression.. that it was you.. I was kind of thinking it resembled your growth as an artist.. and that you're still struggling.. but then I realised that the kid in the middle was wearing a skirt.. and therefore a girl.. Making my interpretation pretty well darned invalid. Still though, I see the person in the front of the line being you somehow.. You're still growing and maturing as an artist as a person.. And you still get frustrated with SoC (and Pelolos too!) I'm sure.

So I find that very interesting, weird, and refreshing.

It is a very cute picture, also! And I don't think it matters about the background being shaded how it is. I think it looks neat, and it is just a background after all. ^^ *nods*

Anyways.. I'm off!

See ya!
<A HREF="http://nafta.keenspace.com">Image</A>
Hot girls. <i>Litterally</i>. <a href="http://thermalyte.keenspace.com">Thermalyte</a>
AnimeCanuck
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:18 pm

On 2002-03-23 19:43, pooki wrote:

That was a pretty good rant. I liked the honesty. Me and you seem to be quite alike in some respects (Akarui does resemble SoC in presentation style - i think - we should have our own genre) including unsureness, writing from the heart-ness, and attitude towards our comic-ness.

Yes, I've noticed that our comics are very similar in those respect, making Akarui the most similar thing to SoC I can find. I hope you keep going with it. I also like the idea of our own genre, even though genre categorizing is in my opinion a little too generalizing to begin with. A lot of the things we're doing are things other people are doing, in different contexts.

I totally understand about how an artist desperately needs feedback and motivation. So I'll try my best to let you know what I think about whatever you decide to put up. Not only do I find myself with some free time on my hands nowadays, but I decided I should play a part in helping other people. Not to say I'm very knowledgable about making comics, but I know what I like, and what I don't (most of the time). So anything I say is just my opinion, can be used against me in the court of law, and should be taken with as much salt as possible.

That is very nice of you to do that, and I respect and commend you for being part of the community. I'm always open to other people's opinions, and that's what the forum is for. I hope to go around doing the same. It's important that artists support one another "It's this special nuptial love balance feedback paradigm that you two should reciprocate, yes?"

Bryan
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:24 pm

On 2002-03-23 19:48, pooki wrote:
starting with today's:

I like the progress of youngest/shortest to oldest/tallest. With them all following in tow and the girl picking up what's being thrown behind by the guy (who, you?) It's so open to interpretation, and that's one thing I like (I like things that are open to interpretation, but I also like thats that are very clear/precise)

It does have a lot to do with me and my drawing, though the guy in the picture is Pikhe. Basically, its the SOC kids.

Anyhow, to nit-pick: The gal's eyes look a little odd. I think they should look down at what she's picking up.

Yeah, I could've done that, but I thought it would be funny to make it look like Kleisse is sneaking up and picking the papers up behind his back. Therefore, she is wary, in a playful sense, of Pikhe finding out. That's why she is looking at Pikhe. That was what was in my head. But come to your own interpretations if you like.

Also, the shadows going down the comic doesn't match the lighting on the people.

No it doesn't! The background is totally inaccurate. I think it's cool anyway.

Another thought, when I first saw the grizzle smoke coming off the guy's head, I thought it spelt out some letters... Then I realized it didn't and I thought how cool it would be if it HAD spelt out some letters, but still remained grizzled smoke. (I just made up that word: grizzled)

That would be interesting. I'm not very good at putting in subliminal messages though, at least ones I'm aware about, anyway.

Bryan
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:31 pm

On 2002-03-24 11:22, AnimeCanuck wrote:
Hey.. that would be neat, Koio!
If the tornado of frustration spelled out some words! (What an interesting word you have coined, by the way.. Grizzled.. Hm... I like it! I has feeling! Meaning! And seems to perfectly describe that smoke! Heh. ^^)

I just wanted to say that I also agree about the feedback thing.. And that I too thought that that was you at the front of the line..

It was my first impression that it WAS you.. But then I thought for a moment that it could be Pikhe.. but then its not.

Wow, I never meant to make the picture so full of contradictory meanings. I suppose you can say its both me and Pikhe, though it's drawn as Pikhe.

My interpretation of that pic was based off of my first impression.. that it was you.. I was kind of thinking it resembled your growth as an artist.. and that you're still struggling.. but then I realised that the kid in the middle was wearing a skirt.. and therefore a girl.. Making my interpretation pretty well darned invalid.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLL! Yes we mustn't forget my cross-dressing phase of artistic development.
I still like your interpretation though. It really does remind me of those evolution pictures where the monkeys turn into humans...that an the Beatles' Abbey Road.

Still though, I see the person in the front of the line being you somehow.. You're still growing and maturing as an artist as a person.. And you still get frustrated with SoC (and Pelolos too!) I'm sure.

Ain't that the truth! It is in a way a homage not to just myself, but all the artists out there who are growing and struggling and getting frustrated. It's how we all do it.

So I find that very interesting, weird, and refreshing.
It is a very cute picture, also! And I don't think it matters about the background being shaded how it is. I think it looks neat, and it is just a background after all. ^^ *nods*

Wow, you guys are really picking down my pictures piece by piece! I wonder what you'll think of my next one (I'm thinking of doing a portrait of Keriel).
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Postby Pooki on Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:34 pm

Yeah, I could've done that, but I thought it would be funny to make it look like Kleisse is sneaking up and picking the papers up behind his back. Therefore, she is wary, in a playful sense, of Pikhe finding out.

In that case, the iris should float up a little, to look towards Pikhe. To me, at the moment, she looks a little zombie-fied.

You really need to teach me how you do those folds in cloth. Gosh, something I really need work on...
KoioSuru
Don't tease the stuffed bear:
<a href="http://www.freelancedreams.com/">http://www.freelancedreams.com/</a>
Pooki
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:40 pm

On 2002-03-24 13:34, pooki wrote:
In that case, the iris should float up a little, to look towards Pikhe. To me, at the moment, she looks a little zombie-fied.

Ha ha ha! True true! When I was drawing this, I ended up making their expressions kind of silly. Pikhe's expression, for example is kinda weird too. So when it turned out that Kleisse looked a little "blank", as it were, I thought it was funny, and left it the way it was instead. So she's kinda looking at Pikhe, kinda looking a little blank.

You really need to teach me how you do those folds in cloth. Gosh, something I really need work on...

Something I haven't mastered yet. But feel free to get from me what you can.

Bryan
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Postby Pooki on Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:44 pm

You need to get on IRC, AIM or ICQ more often Bryan. I think we're both posting here at the same time. Anyhow... wait, what was I going to say?

Oh yeah, about the genre. I finally decided that Akarui is more of an 'emotional journey'. It's a pseudo-realistic manga, which means there's nothing sci-fi or fantasy about it (although I might have alot of religious things soon). It might not be set in a real-this-world-we-the-artist-lives-in, but rather, it's real life in this universe that we the artist created. So in a way, it's realistic, but not exactly.

The main point of Akarui is to show the emotional growth, pain, happiness of Koi. So while there might be romance, comedy, and violence, the manga doesn't focus on those specific emotions, but rather Emotion. So that's my genre: "Emotional Journey" I'm really making up alot of things recently aren't I?

Although maybe I'm fooling myself, and it's just 'Drama' after all.
Pooki
Regular Poster

Postby AnimeCanuck on Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:11 pm

Ooh! That all sounds very interesting!
And you DID mean for that to be Pikhe and Kleisse, Bryan!? Isn't Pikhe's hair BLUE?? (well.. you know.. black with the blue hilights?)

Hmm .. Now I want to go read your comic, Koio!

And hey.. I have AIM too!!!

Get online, both of you, and message me!!!
^_^

Although.. I'm going to bed in 15 minutes...
I have school tomorrow...

And I too, need to work on clothing folds!!!!! BADLY!!!!

heheh..
A portrait of Keriel? That sounds really nice. I can't wait to see it!
And Bryan, cross your fingers for the rest of the SoC/Pelolos crossover sometime this week! ^_^

I'll be seeing ya!!!!

-AC
Hot girls. <i>Litterally</i>. <a href="http://thermalyte.keenspace.com">Thermalyte</a>
AnimeCanuck
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:49 pm

On 2002-03-24 13:44, pooki wrote:
You need to get on IRC, AIM or ICQ more often Bryan. I think we're both posting here at the same time.

Yeah, I should. I'll try to be on more often.

Oh yeah, about the genre. I finally decided that Akarui is more of an 'emotional journey'. It's a pseudo-realistic manga, which means there's nothing sci-fi or fantasy about it (although I might have alot of religious things soon). It might not be set in a real-this-world-we-the-artist-lives-in, but rather, it's real life in this universe that we the artist created. So in a way, it's realistic, but not exactly.

The main point of Akarui is to show the emotional growth, pain, happiness of Koi. So while there might be romance, comedy, and violence, the manga doesn't focus on those specific emotions, but rather Emotion. So that's my genre: "Emotional Journey" I'm really making up alot of things recently aren't I?

Although maybe I'm fooling myself, and it's just 'Drama' after all.

"Emotional Journey" huh? That's very interesting. You may call your comic whatever you want..it's yours and you know best what to call it. I can't wait to read more of it and see how your vision of an Emotional Journey manifests itself. It also looks like you have a good direction of where you want to go in your comic. See, this is the kind of stuff you can put in your own rants!
Looking forward to it.

Bryan
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:56 pm

On 2002-03-24 20:11, AnimeCanuck wrote:
And you DID mean for that to be Pikhe and Kleisse, Bryan!? Isn't Pikhe's hair BLUE?? (well.. you know.. black with the blue hilights?)

Yes, they were meant to be the SOC kids. Pikhe's hair is really black. The highlight of what was shining on him at the time kind of make it look red. Sometimes blue. Didn't we talk about this before?

And hey.. I have AIM too!!!
Get online, both of you, and message me!!!
^_^

Alright. Sounds nice. My AIM is crispypomfret . If you ever see me on, feel free to give me a ring.
A portrait of Keriel? That sounds really nice. I can't wait to see it!

I haven't even started drawing, but I plan to start tonight. I want to make it really nice, so I can't wait to see it either.
And Bryan, cross your fingers for the rest of the SoC/Pelolos crossover sometime this week! ^_^

Yeah! That'll be great. I'll post it on the front page when you do. Hopefully that's motivation for you to get it to me soon! *snicker*

Bryan
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Postby AnimeCanuck on Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:26 pm

Yes.. We sort of talked about it before.. Not really.

You said that Osi's, Seji's, and Pikhe's hair is all black.. But to highlight black in anime, they often use dark blues and purples. Well.. NORMALLY.. the highlights on Osi and Pikhe are blue.. and the highlight on Seji is dark purple.
So.. When you hilighted Pikhe's hair with a light-medium brown.. I DIDN'T RECOGNISE HIM!!! And so.. I thought it was you, as I said before. And I don't care what the truth is.. I'm still going to call his hair blue.. even though its black and just hilighted blue.. Its just a REALLY deep shade of blue.. Same goes for Osi, and Seji ('cept hers is reddish-purple/purple!)!! Okay!??

THAT'S what I meant! Okay!? Are you HAPPY NOW, BRYAN!?? Heheh.. Anyways.. I just feel like replying to everything today.. even if I had nothing to do with it in the first place.

The position Keriel is in is really cool! ^^

Nifty! ^_^

Keep it up, Bry!
I can't wait to see it coloured! ^_^

Ja ne! ^^

-yf,
AC
AnimeCanuck
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:55 pm

On 2002-03-26 15:26, AnimeCanuck wrote:
Yes.. We sort of talked about it before.. Not really.

You said that Osi's, Seji's, and Pikhe's hair is all black.. But to highlight black in anime, they often use dark blues and purples. Well.. NORMALLY.. the highlights on Osi and Pikhe are blue.. and the highlight on Seji is dark purple.
So.. When you hilighted Pikhe's hair with a light-medium brown.. I DIDN'T RECOGNISE HIM!!! And so.. I thought it was you, as I said before. And I don't care what the truth is.. I'm still going to call his hair blue.. even though its black and just hilighted blue.. Its just a REALLY deep shade of blue.. Same goes for Osi, and Seji ('cept hers is reddish-purple/purple!)!! Okay!??

THAT'S what I meant! Okay!? Are you HAPPY NOW, BRYAN!?? Heheh.. Anyways.. I just feel like replying to everything today.. even if I had nothing to do with it in the first place.

*bryan inserts something to humor AC*

The position Keriel is in is really cool! ^^
Nifty! ^_^
Keep it up, Bry!
I can't wait to see it coloured! ^_^

Thanks! Do you mean how she is posing, or the actual positioning of her relative to the frame? Either way, I did both with some special intentions. In the former, I wanted to have her laying on somewhere, a bed or a floor, looking up. Don't ask me why, cause I won't answer :wink:. In the latter, I always liked having objects positioned off from the center. Usually people would like things in the center, especially main objects. It's clear who the object is in this picture, and I think kind of posiitoning her off is kind of hip, especially because it encourages the viewer to actually imagine the rest of her body instead of giving it all to them.

Bryan
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Postby AnimeCanuck on Wed Mar 27, 2002 6:50 am

I meant both (mostly how she is positioned, though)!

And I agree with you about the off-center-ness! ^_^

HIP! ^^

.. Okay.. now I better shut up and get off the forums before I get in trouble!

Ja ne!!!!!! ^_^
AnimeCanuck
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:49 pm

No no, you wont get in trouble over here! I promise! Keep coming back!
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Postby AnimeCanuck on Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:00 pm

... I was at school, you twit!
(heheh.. That's such a funny word.. Hehe! ...) Reminds me of the Shakespearean insults we were making in English class yesterday.. *sighs* Haha.. That was funny.. and I stole the paper from my teacher... We weren't supposed to write on them.. but I did.... so I kept it... I thought we were keeping them.. so that's why I wrote the meaning of stuff all over it..

Thou cod-sucking, idle-headed, common-kissing flax-wench!!!!!

HA!

... ~_~.. Okay.. so maybe I'm getting into MacBeth a little TOO much.. Heheh.. Man.. I am SUCH the ruthless jokester in that class... I'm always making a remark about something.

Like today.
We were talking about Lady Macbeth saying "Unsex me" (again..! for the who knows what'th time! Come on! We're in ACT IV now!).. and Mr. Chauvin said "But Lady MacBeth isn't a man." So I turned to Karis and said "But that would explain why MacBeth doesn't have any children.." It was so funny! ^^

I love that class, man! So much fun! ^^

haha..

Okay.. I'm done now.

Are you on AOL yet!??

-AC
AnimeCanuck
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 2125 on Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:25 pm

Yes, Shakespeare is great for the insults he writes. There are some really funny ones from other plays, if I can recall...actually I can't recall them that well. I remember one about someone telling another to fall into a pile of crap, then of course there was "Get Thee to a nunnery" from Hamlet which means something like "you belong in a brothel".

Anyway, I'm out. You reply so fast. I give up. My fingers are tired
ZOMBIE USER 2125
Regular Poster

Postby AnimeCanuck on Thu Mar 28, 2002 8:16 am

hehehe!
Actually.. My fingers began to tire after chatting with you for all that long while, last night. So after I had finished talking on the phone with Holly, my fingers were clumsy.
It was funny. And actually.. See, what happened in class the other day, was that Mr. Chauvin handed out a page with tons of Shakespearean insults compiled (sp?) from his plays. We were to come up with 5 of our own and say them to other people in our class. It was funny.

Well.. I'm sick right now.. And not feeling very well. So I'm at home.. and I'm going to draw you that SoC/Pelo crossover today. I think. Anyways.. I'm going off to Pelolos to search for the correct spelling of Tena
AnimeCanuck
Regular Poster

Postby AnimeCanuck on Thu Mar 28, 2002 8:55 am

Hey, Whaddaya know?
I <i>was</i> right!
I had to read the first 12 or so pages of Day VI again, but I didn't mind! ^^

Wow, Bryan! You can draw emotion and movement so well! I envy you!

Oh yeah.. And I saw the page with Tena
AnimeCanuck
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Seasons of Constancy