A possitive review of Kota's World

A possitive review of Kota's World

Postby Kev of the Apocalypse on Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:52 am

Okay, sometimes you find something that makes you realize people are reading and that someone really thinks you're the bee's knee. I found this on Link to the Boards' links page. The second bit is my ad blurb from the Keenspace list. Hot damn. I'm flattered! Needless to say, this guy's getting a link on the links page this week.

Heh. The only reason this isn't under must read is 'cause the author's on a month-long hiatus! GREAT comic sorta like mine, in that they live on the 'Net, but completely different system and mythology. This comic is at a level that I can only strive for!

What if everything you touched you destroyed? Keith Of The Apocalypse (Kota) McDonald asked that same question. Now as the head of Disasterboy, INC he tries to protect the web from badguys AND himself. Thrilling and sometimes funny manga(?!?) action type stuff.
"Humanity's salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted"

Kev of the Apocalypse
Regular Poster

Location: State of entropy. . . or Mississippi. I forget which.

welly welly welly well

Postby Spacecoyote on Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:17 pm

So, the word is out. I wonder if this new fan would be so enthusiastic if he knew that O'tan "powers" are based on real-life experience? We're coming to visit, dude, so stock up on light bulbs and other spare parts! Bwahahahaa!!
Spacecoyote
Regular Poster

Postby Joshlamont on Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:58 pm

Pfft! I live with 8 younger siblings! Try to cause more chaos than that! :D
"He's dead, Jim. You grab his wallet, I'll grab his tricorder."

a=b; a^2=ab; a^2-b^2=ab-b^2; (a-b)(a+b)=b(a-b); a+b=b; 2b=b; 2=1
Joshlamont
Regular Poster

Postby Kev of the Apocalypse on Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:20 pm

Ask Space, Josh. Everything we touch we destroy. I've already broken the message boards at http://www.rocketboxcomics.com by posting and most of KeenSpace's problems started when I joined.
OH! Did I mention most of an aisle colapsed when I walked by it today at work?

Kev of the Apocalypse
Regular Poster

Postby Spacecoyote on Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:11 pm

It's quite real, and extremely annoying at best. At worst it can be downright dangerous, like when applied to vehicles. Everything I've ever owned has been affected; this computer has had ALL of its major parts changed at least once.

Worse yet, it seems to run in the family. My mother has Otan problems with cameras...at Universal Studios, her brand new Advantix jammed halfway through a roll of film, wrecking the whole week's worth of pix.
At my brother's wedding, the camcorder failed, losing all the sound. It had been fine only minutes before.
Of course, I was present at both events, so it may have been me. She's had no problems since.

The only thing we can do is laugh; that or go insane. That's why we have Kota's World, which allows us to do both *L*

If ya want to get philosophical, ask this: Does this mean that God hates Otan, or are we somehow favoured in that we suffer more misfortune than the average human, thus leading to reparations later? Will we be given unbreakable goodies in Heaven? Divine lightbulbs don't burn out, I'm sure.
Meantime, beware asking us over for movie and beer, because the DVD player will seize up and the fridge will die, and half the beer bottles will be flat and skunky.
Spacecoyote
Regular Poster

Postby Joshlamont on Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:04 am

Heh. Now you've got my brains spinning theories, cause I also know others with which it seems if they merely touch something, it works. Makes you wonder if talent truly is just natural skill. Everyone has talent, but not at everything. Some excel incredibly at some things. For instance, my dad is great with languages. But there is always something you suck at, sometimes to the level of being unable to go near that genre without ruining it. My dad can't play video games. In any way, shape, or form. It's not ignorance or intelligence, he just can't play them.

So, does talent go beyond skill, into some sort of energy? Or possibly the spiritual? That you already can make certain things just work out, and working on them merely focuses that "talent"? Mayhap not the spiritual, because spirits are not determined by genetics. But if it were energy, probably some form of bio-energy, it would probably be released in a certain pattern, as determined by the state of your physical being. In that case, would it be possible for the pattern to be altered by a change in body? Or is it pre-determined by genetics?

Then again, do we know if it is a strong form of talent or the lack thereof that causes works and problems? Murphy's law is ever evident; once I just clicked on an icon, and the system crashed. Nothing was wrong with it beforehand. Yet my talent with computers veers towards extreme talent. I've fixed computers merely by sitting down and checking things out (not changing), so it must've been Murphy's.

Since Murphy's law is merely the increased chance of negative results, could it be the ability to alter chance? Being able to pull the dice one way or another by your mere presence? We've call some people "lucky". Perhaps they really are lucky, able to select to best stream when the timeline splits? Or, if you don't believe in a multiple-timestream, the ability to call a chance into existence? Of course, if you go any further into that theory, then you delve dangerously close to magic.

My brain is hitting dead ends. It's late. If you just see a ramble here, that's why. Maybe I'll hit on the question about God tomorrow. G'night.

Joshlamont
Regular Poster

Postby Kev of the Apocalypse on Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:08 am

All perfectly logical theories in the etheral sense. I firmly believe that there must be some form of external energy drawn on by those with a talent. There is only so much artistic creativity in the pool at any one time. When Brad is doing well and coloring Morphis, I can't draw worth a damn. I'm doing pretty well on Kota's World, so he's probably hitting a dry spot.
As for controlling chance, that's the basic idea. The problem is the O'tan in the comic can, at times, select a negative path for others that will lead to a possitive result for themselves. They've found a way to use what they have for the best possible results. Within limits of course.
Now in real life, we really do have some problems. Streetlights go out when we draw near, Flash 4 changed all my key frames into the same image so I couldn't do the animation I wanted, I've destroyed more ceiling fans than I care to think about (sorry, Scott!), and search engines will give me no results for the most common of search strings. Like Space Coyote said, all you can do is laugh or go insane. I look at it as a gift of sorts though. At least it gives me something to write about.

Kev of the Apocalypse
Regular Poster

Postby Joshlamont on Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:34 pm

And, to further confuse the issure, I now have problems with how we could control chance unconsciously. Technically there is no such thing as chance. All you have to do to predict something is track the actions and effects of everything in the universe since Day 0, and have a working knowledge of everything, and you could predict exactly what will happen next. Physically, I mean. I believe there is true randomness in the human spirit, which is not coporeal. The mind however, is, and thus it's thoughts could be predicted with perfect acuract were you able to take away the spirit. But even with the spirit, you can predict the mind with acceptable acuracy. Chance is nothing but what we call the unknown because we do not know enough to predict the future with 100% accuracy. So the problem becomes, how would one control chance? The only way to do so would be to control the circumstances in some way. Now, with regular talent, it is mostly probably a simple attunement of mental process to whatever you're working with. Someone with a green thumb, for instance, has a mind that thinks (mostly subconsciously) in such a way so as to know what to do.

But what above the extremes, such as my just looking at things on a computer and fixing them, or your killing a machine simply by using it correctly? You might explain my ability to fix as a simple exertion of the will combined with extremely weak telekinesis. Our wills do have some power (though very limited and weak) over the physical realm. But of the O'tan effect? I know of no one, who even subconsciously, who wills things to break (well - usually. but they won't when you want them to), and thus I refuse to believe that it has anything to do with the mind or spirit, for both are inextricable to the conscious and subconscious.

So... it must be something in the genetics, which is also helped by the fact that these things seem to be hereditary. It cannot be mere lack of talent, because if you look at a graph, lack of talent would be zero. The O'tan (I am using this to label the real-life effect) effect would fall into the negative spectrum, and I don't think it's possible to have a negative talent. Or at least, we don't have a concept in our language for negative talent; simply lack of talent, which usually causes enough disaster as it is.

I must, at this point, fall back upon the bio-energy pattern release. Humans already release a lot of energy; why not a certain pattern of a specific type of energy determined by the genetic structure? But then how would this energy pattern alter things to the worse? The order-to-chaos idea is attractive, but how would it do so? What determines what is chaos? If it is the disruption of the current order, couldn't the disruption all to often simply cause a new order, one that is sometimes better than the original? I'm thinking that this energy pattern would simply discrupt order in a certain way. That would help explain why there are people who can make things work better by simply being around. They release energy in a pattern that disrupts the current order into a new, yet better, order. This would also make it possible for certain types of "talent" and "negative talent". A pattern that disrupts one thing for the worse could disrupt another for the better.

Note that this would only be applied to how well an object performs its duty. It would not apply to people's actions, or the weather, or if things just always seem to turn out bad. "Luck" as we call it, has nothing to do with this theory. Also note that when I say "Energy" I am speaking with the scientific connatations of the word. An unknown (or known) form of energy that is released from the body in a certain pattern or wave. It has nothing to do with anything of the spirit. It cannot.

So, in conclusion I would venture to say that God has not cursed such people; he has simply given them another path to excel at- without effort, I might add.

If these theories help, so be it. If not, discard them. I don't even have the brainpower right now to run them through a logic check. Just following my train of thought. Godspeed, all. G'night.

Joshlamont
Regular Poster

useful destruction?

Postby Spacecoyote on Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:53 pm

It is possible that we have been "gifted" with the abilty to cause things to break down and that ultimately this will be to our advantage.
I'm surprised the CIA hasn't grabbed Kev and me and shipped us off to Iraq! :) Certainly it has provided some amusement, as when I burn out other people's bulbs after telling them about this, and watching their faces when it actually happens.

Warping of probability is reality, I've tested it at length with dice. Rolling D&D characters by the hundred, I noted a disproportionate number of 3's and 4's and almost no 18's...the curve had been warped toward the low end.

The "aura" theory has been proposed before. I am told that I generate vast amounts of "dark aura", which reaches out to snuff positive energy sources. New Age bunk, I'd say, but who knows?

A trip to FERMIlab and its cyclotrons would be interesting..do the anti-protons last longer when I'm near? Do tachyons gain the ability to travel slower than light? Neutrinos suddenly can't penetrate a piece of toilet paper?
The power...THE POOOWWWEEERR!! BWAHAHAAHAAHAAAAAA!!!

Or, as the genie in Aladdin said
"Phenomenal cosmic power..itty bitty living space"
Spacecoyote
Regular Poster

Postby Joshlamont on Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:42 pm

Hmm... the probability factor could be explained by the way you roll.

As far as "auras", I was trying to veer away from that. What I was thinking of it more like something you'd get from a jammer, or (SF) disruptor (although those disrupt you physically). Measurable energy, like the heat your body produces. Most likely a wave. That's way I tried to emphasize that it wasn't spiritual, because the "aura" is often associated with the spirit, or at least, the frame of mind. I don't believe it can be caused by the mind or consciousness, or even vaguely associated with the two.

The only way you could involve the mind, I think, is when your mind is strong enough to control involuntary actions, like stopping your heart by willing it. There are a very few people in this world who can actually do that, but they are an extreme exception.

Heh - a trip to a place like that would be interesting to test.

Joshlamont
Regular Poster

Return to Kota's World