Best Horror movie

Postby The zeppo on Wed Aug 15, 2001 9:16 am

...am i the only one who was creeped the fuck out by phantasm?<P>i also believe night of the living dead is one of the best horror movies, too.
The zeppo

Postby Chris Copeland on Wed Aug 15, 2001 9:26 am

I love how every one goes around and pretends that Blair Witch did'nt scare the crap out of them . That is the only movie that has ever scared me actually. I went in thinking it was a real documentry and I couldnt sleep for 2 nights even after I found out it was fake . Now all the sheep in the world are like " ahh man that sucked the camera motion was bad I hated that movie " mean while half of them wont ever go camping again.
Chris Copeland
Regular Poster

Postby TheGreatElBobo on Wed Aug 15, 2001 9:30 am

Phantasm WAS a good movie, but it seems that after the third movie they just make everything all silly. Like that dumb kid in the third one.
And Leprechaun in Space and "in the Hood". I mean REALLY NOW.
TheGreatElBobo
Regular Poster

Postby Flurb on Wed Aug 15, 2001 9:34 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheGreatElBobo:
<B>it seems that after the third movie they just make everything all silly. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>heh i was about to say army of darkness<P>but it's precedors are supposed to be silly!<P>
Flurb
Regular Poster

Postby Quixotic on Wed Aug 15, 2001 9:37 am

No, there was never a sequal to The Thing. Unfortunately. Though Dark Horse did a two issue comic sequal, that John Carpenter said he would use for the basis of a sequal if he was to do one.
And I agree, the only really creepy part of Blair Witch was that last five minutes. I'll definately give it up for that handful of minutes. Though I wouldn't say everything up to then was worthless, it was only because of all of that that the last five minutes was so scary.
Ohhhhhhh, Phantasm was another good one. That movie scared me pretty good when I first saw it as a kid. Though I still hold a grudge against the second movie for them wrecking that beautiful Hemicuda. I HATE it when they wreck kickass cars in movies. Even if it's fake, it still irks me to no end.
Oh and all this Shining talk reminds me, does anyone remember the second Shining movie? That made for TV one? That one was pretty good too, if for no other reason then the fact that it stuck to the story of the book like epoxy which is always a good thing since it's a rare movie that's better then the book. I can only think of two or three movies that beat out their book counterparts.<P> time!!<P>------------------
Quixotic
Quixotic
Regular Poster

Postby TheGreatElBobo on Wed Aug 15, 2001 10:03 am

What about the people who really WEREN'T scared by Blair Witch?<P>The Thing was a John Carpenter movie(with Kurt Russel in it, big surprise!) about this alien spaceship that crashlands near an Anatarctic science base(or was it on the North Pole?). The ship was actually there a long time before, but it had just recently been thawed out. Anyway, it's main purpose is to "assimilate" people or animals or whatever, and it tries to become them. Sort of like the roaches in "Mimic", because the alien can't really keep it's form for long. Then the scientists are all going nuts because the alien could be any one of them. It wasn't that bad a movie, I thought. Though I keep getting it's ending confused for The Fly. Also, does anyone else remember such "giant mutant" horror movies as "Them" and "Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman"? CHEESE indeed.
Also, the difference between the original NotLD and the new one, was that the old one's ending had more of a social commentary in it, as the new one was just "the black guy zombie recognized the lady, then they killed him". I think there are a lot of horror movies that aren't really scary, but they do disturb you a bit. Like "House on Haunted Hill". THAT was good. Not really scary, but it was gorey and it was pretty good.
Also, to Flurb, yeah I saw IT. Tim Curry was IT. That just makes the movie even worse. I also read the book, and really, it'll kinda give you the concept that Stephen King MAY BE gay. It was still good though. I read it when I was little, and I didn't want to go in the bathroom at night for weeks. And for those who saw the movie, how 'bout that guy with giant mole on his face, huh!? The one who was "adult Jonathan Brandis". Speaking of Jonathan Brandis, I saw the movie box for "Never Ending Story 3", with that kid from "Free Willy" in it. GRRR at that.<P>Movies and cartoons. That's all I really know. It's really really sad. But oh well.<P>Anyhoo! To answer another Flurb-based question, "Frankenweenie" was a Tim Burton movie about a boy who brings his dead dog back to life, through the whole Frankenstein thing. Then the neighbors get angry, and it winds up in a mini-putt windmill burning down and happiness for all!
And yes, "Frankenhooker" was quite the funny!
I'll check out that book too, Mofo! Thanks!
And...I guess that's it for now!<P>
TheGreatElBobo
Regular Poster

Postby Violentmae on Wed Aug 15, 2001 10:06 am

Blair Witch scared me. I was just glad that 1- I saw it in the day time and 2- I wasn't at my mom's in NC when I saw it (her backyard is a forest that goes pitchblack at night, very creepy). But, I got kind of motion sick from the camera shake, I was in the front row, and haven't seen it since. I dunno know if it would scare me if I saw it again.
Violentmae
Regular Poster

Postby Mandingo on Wed Aug 15, 2001 10:17 am

The last five minutes of Blair Witch gave me a little fright. Everything that came before it was kinda worthless. The last five minutes had something that the rest didn't. Great idea, though.<P>And The Thing is "John Carpenter's the Thing." Starring Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley the Quaker Oats guy, and soem other people. Go here: <A HREF="http://us.imdb.com/Title?0084787">TheThing</A> for more information. Anyway. Go out and rent it. Or just buy the DVD. BUT DO IT TODAY. MOVIES ARE MY LIFE!!@!1311 <P>------------------
-BOB- <P>A proud member of the Movie Council.
Mandingo
Regular Poster

Postby Flurb on Wed Aug 15, 2001 10:17 am

in reply to TheGreatElBobo:<P>I must say "You sir are god!"<p>[This message has been edited by Flurb (edited 08-15-2001).]
Flurb
Regular Poster

Postby TheGreatElBobo on Wed Aug 15, 2001 10:22 am

I think there was a sequel to The Thing, btw. <P>Anyway! I'm just posting this because I forgot to mention it. But wasn't it great, back in the 60s(and before) horror movies where they use "fake science" to explain things. Like when they carbon date a monster to find out what it is. Even though that wouldn't help AT ALL in identifying a monster. It'd just tell how old it is. And they always had that old professor guy telling everybody that Mole Men COULD EXIST, because it's really hot in the middle of the Earth and that means moles live there. People back in the day were REALLY dumb, and pretty much believed everything. It's a shame movies have to be so realistic now, what with our advanced technology and diplomatic moles.
TheGreatElBobo
Regular Poster

Postby TheGreatElBobo on Wed Aug 15, 2001 10:24 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flurb:
<B>in reply to TheGreatElBobo:<P>I must say "You sir are god!"<P>[This message has been edited by Flurb (edited 08-15-2001).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Me happy.
TheGreatElBobo
Regular Poster

Postby TheGreatElBobo on Thu Aug 16, 2001 11:06 am

"Oh and all this Shining talk reminds me, does anyone remember the second Shining movie? That made for TV one? That one was pretty good too, if for no other reason then the fact that it stuck to the story of the book like epoxy which is always a good thing since it's a rare movie that's better then the book. I can only think of two or three movies that beat out their book counterparts."<P>Yeah, the made-for-TV movie of The Shining was probably the best Stephen King TV movie I'd seen in a while(Tommyknockers BLEW). I haven't read the book, "The Shining", yet; but maybe I will in the future. Anyway, I thought the "floating helpful ghost" who turned out to be the kid in the future, was just a LITTLE too predictable. Mostly because I've seen it so many times. But I still think Jack(or is it Stephen??) Weber did a great a job as Jack, in the movie. I thought the ballroom scene was also good. With all the boogie zombies. They just wanna dance. That's all they ask.
Also, is it REALLY necessary for Stephen King to put himself in every one of his movies? He looked like such a nerd as the band conductor. Anyway!
I liked the movie "The Phantom Tollbooth"(which wasn't horror, but it WAS based on a book), which was based on the book of the same name. That's probably the only book-movie I can really think of that was better than the book. I'm sure there are others, but I can't really remember them. <P>
TheGreatElBobo
Regular Poster

Postby TheGreatElBobo on Fri Aug 17, 2001 10:21 am

Dead people make me giggle.
TheGreatElBobo
Regular Poster

Postby Power Streak on Fri Aug 17, 2001 11:23 am

I loved the Blair Witch Project, I like the Shining a lot there are more but I can't think right now
Power Streak
Regular Poster

Postby Flurb on Fri Aug 17, 2001 11:28 am

actually the first time i saw titanic i thought it wasn't too bad of a movie.<P>i just wouldn't imagine seeing it more than once.
Flurb
Regular Poster

Postby Flurb on Sun Aug 19, 2001 8:40 am

i rented halloween 4 yesterday! WOW that movie rox! especially the ending!
Flurb
Regular Poster

Postby MadPowerBomber on Mon Aug 20, 2001 3:49 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheGreatElBobo:
<B>
Also, the difference between the original NotLD and the new one, was that the old one's ending had more of a social commentary in it, as the new one was just "the black guy zombie recognized the lady, then they killed him". I think there are a lot of horror movies that aren't really scary, but they do disturb you a bit. Like "House on Haunted Hill". THAT was good. Not really scary, but it was gorey and it was pretty good. <P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ehhh, you might wanna go back and watch the 1990 remake of the Night of the Living Dead. There's a wee bit of social commentary in the end, it's not just that the girl finds the black man and he recgnizes her, then they shoot him. There was several scenes dealing with the living and the dead and a scene that would spoil the film for people that haven't seen it--heaven knows we don't want that.<P>Are you referring to the newer House on Haunted Hill? Done about a year or two ago? That was decent up until the end, then it was horrid to even think about watching a second time. Horror films + happy endings = shitty product.
MadPowerBomber

Postby MadPowerBomber on Mon Aug 20, 2001 4:06 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flurb:
<B>i rented halloween 4 yesterday! WOW that movie rox! especially the ending!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Is that the Return of Michael Myers? I don't remember the details of that one, I remember liking it though. 4, 5, and 6 were all pretty decently made slasher pics. 6 had a lot of potential to change the way the genre was percieved, but unfortunately fell to the severe editing process called HACKEDTOSHIT. I read rumors about a 'Producer's Cut,' whatever the hell that might be, that had the footage still in it and made it something a bit more than just a plain old slasher film. 4, 5, and 6 were all better films than H20, which somehow got mixed up with all the 90s teeniebopper slasher pics and came out quite turd-like. And, on a side note, they've already begun or will begin shooting relitively soon on Halloween 8. Which will star Jamie Lee Curtis again, whether its a full role or just a cameo, I forgot.<P>Fune. :B
MadPowerBomber

Postby TheGreatElBobo on Mon Aug 20, 2001 7:14 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MadPowerBomber:
<B> Ehhh, you might wanna go back and watch the 1990 remake of the Night of the Living Dead. There's a wee bit of social commentary in the end, it's not just that the girl finds the black man and he recgnizes her, then they shoot him. There was several scenes dealing with the living and the dead and a scene that would spoil the film for people that haven't seen it--heaven knows we don't want that.<P>Are you referring to the newer House on Haunted Hill? Done about a year or two ago? That was decent up until the end, then it was horrid to even think about watching a second time. Horror films + happy endings = shitty product.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh! I meant something, not necessarily with the living and dead theme. In the ending of the original NotLD, the black guy's the only one alive in the house. Then those Southernish guys with guns come(the group that patrolled around, killing zombies), and one of the guys says he sees one in the house. Then they aim and shoot the black guy. Some say this was a social comment on race relations, back in the day. Of course, it was also probably one of the first horror movies where the black guy DIDN'T die first.
I saw the remake on TNT's "100% Weird" or uh...Whatever that thing was called with Billy Bob. There were two programs. 100% Weird, where they would show really old horror movies. And then that thing with Billy Bob and his mailgirl Rusty, where they showed horror movies from back in the day to present. <P>Also! Those great '80s movies we all know and love are making their way onto AMC. Just the other day, I saw such great movies as "Fright Night" and "Young Sherlock Holmes". The way I see it, is that by 2010, there will be a full AMC takeover. Well not a FULL takeover...But there will be a presence!<P>Yeah, the Haunted Hill from two years ago. The ending WAS pretty gay. I liked the ending to the original movie.
The guy they got to be Vincent Price, did a really good job though!
Other horror movies with gay happy endings: "Dolls", "Octopus", and "Spiders".
"Day of the Dead" actually had a happy ending but it really wasn't that bad. In fact, I was really glad they lived and found a place to live for the rest of their lives. "Deep Blue Sea" had a good ending though. Because that annoying lady got eaten, and you weren't really expecting that. And that made me laugh for a very long time, because LL Cool J and that other guy just sat around drinking beer and laughing; like five minutes later.<P>I thought H20's ending was awful. If Curtis whacked Meyer's head off at the end of H20, then how would he be brought back?? Are they going to do what they did with the last Friday the 13th movie and make him some magic demon crap? And whatever happened to that Freddy/Jason crossover movie I kept hearing about!?!? Jason X or whatever. Are they still making that or what??
TheGreatElBobo
Regular Poster

Postby Quixotic on Mon Aug 20, 2001 9:22 am

Yeah, they're still making that Jason X movie, I saw a trailer for it in San Diego. But it's not a crossover or anything, it's Jason in the faaaar future. :::shudder::::
And it was/is JOE Bob Briggs, and his show at the drive in. Which was just basically a remake of the show he used to have back in the day on....TMC maybe? One'a them movie channnels. Joe Bob rocked.<P>the drive in will never die
<P>------------------
Quixotic
Quixotic
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Warp 9 to Hell