Art tools :)

Postby Lowang59_98 on Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:21 am

Hey Zilford What kind of tools do you use to draw?

Hopefully i will join The VCL some day wish me luck :smile:
Lowang59_98
Regular Poster

Postby Zillford-x on Sat Feb 23, 2002 10:00 am

I start all of my pictures with a pencil sketch with a simple .5 lead mechanical pencil. after I've fleshed out the basic idea of the picture I add the ink with a very fine brush, just using the very tip.
I pretty much cover all the same lines with the brush, only deviating if I decide a new line is better than the old one (and I'm pretty confidant I can draw it right the first time).

I then erase all of the pencil lines and scan the picture (300 dpi, grayscale).

I use Adobe Photoshop 6.0 and I copy the "background" layer and delete the original (this unlocks it).

I then set the "background copy" to "multiply". this allows me to then draw colors on new layers beneath the picture and have them come through without obscuring the black lines.

after it looks good and colored I merge all the layers (save the unmerged ones! you might want to change it later!) and make a copy of the picture's layer. I set the opacity of the new layer to roughly aroud 30% and delete any white around it.

lock the layers transparancy. proceed to add pure white and pure black to shade and highlight the picture. this will give you a nice cel shaded look, that can also be done really fast.
Zillford-x
Regular Poster

Postby TwoDifferentSox on Sat Feb 23, 2002 10:51 am

In case you use photoshop, Mr Lowang, I got a nifty link here that has a good step by step online tutorial.

<a href="http://www.fur.com/~almackey/tutorial/">Linky!</a>

It helped me to learn the basics quite well, though I really not get something of that quality as result as it's shown there.
:smile:
TwoDifferentSox
Regular Poster

Return to Random Access