Anyone remember that one Urban Legend...?

Postby Davad on Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:15 am

...The one about the old lady, in her house, late at night, who starts putting together a puzzle..?

For those of you who don't, here's a quick retelling. A little old lady was sitting in her living room one night, in front of her fireplace, listening to the storm outside her window. Bored, she decided to put together a puzzle. So, she pulled down a box at random, set up a table, and started to put it together. As she placed the different pieces together, she began to notice how the picture looked an awful lot like her own living room; here the fireplace, there the piano, over on the wall the pictures... Thinking it decidedly odd, she nonetheless continued to put the puzzle together.
After placing a few more pieces, she noticed the puzzle also had a person in it, putting together a puzzle as well. Smiling, the thought this must just be some strange joke-puzzle someone had made for her, and continued to put it together.
A few more pieces here, a few more there, and she noticed that, in the puzzle, there was apparently broken glass below the window. Strange, she thought, the window in /her/ living room looked just fine. She continued to place pieces, until only one remained.
She picked up that piece, glancing at it, then stared in horror at what she saw: for in the piece, a masked man with a knife was coming through her window. Almost mechanically, she placed that piece, just as she heard the sound or breaking glass behind her...

^_^
~*~*~*~*~*~
Proud Member in good standing of the Furries and Humans Together Movement (Free Memberships Available)
Member #1
Davad
Regular Poster

Postby Mikaiten on Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:18 am

I do remember that... because it's the story told by one of the boys in Dead Poet's Society. I love that movie. I've watched it about 40 times now. I wanna be a Dead Poet...
Mika

<a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/sarcasta_bitch">My Livejournal</a>
<a href="http://www.side7.com/art/mandjudd/gallery.html">My Artwork</a>
Mikaiten
Regular Poster

Postby Striker on Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:29 am

'Captain, my Captain!'

I believe that was the line. Not sure, though, since I've only seen the german and french dubs...

Anyway, that was one hell of a movie moment.
Striker
Regular Poster

Postby Mikaiten on Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:35 am

It's "OH Captain, My Captain"
Title of a poem about Abe Lincoln.. or so I was told. (had to look up how to spell his last name... pft... and that's why I'm not American :razz: )

Ahh... Walt Whitman... how you have enriched our lives.

-Resident Flirt of the Jack Forum

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mikaiten on 2002-04-19 09:35 ]</font>
Mikaiten
Regular Poster

Postby Gen.Talon on Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:59 am

Well I got an intresting Urban Legand that is located about 5 blocks north of me. :smile: A place called the 'Northville Tunnels'
Anyway..here goes..

Back in the 20's There was a school and hospital built in an area of Wayne county for 'Training' kids with mental issues. What this training was. I have no clue. Yet legand has it that most of the kids were chained up and left to die in the tunnels that were built there. Some say there there are scratches all over the walls of places where they were chained up. Anyway. It was pretty neat driving by and seeing the abadoned buildings. People would even perform animal sacrafices over there. Until 1997 when some dumbass decided to climb to the roof of one of the buildings. Fall off and give Jack a visit. Since then it was all demolished and made into a golf course with $500,000 homes built around it. *shurgs* There are still a few pics and a brief history about it right here. :smile:

http://www.forgottendetroit.iwarp.com/N ... unnels.htm

Makes me wonder..any urban legands in your neck of the woods?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gen.Talon on 2002-04-19 10:59 ]</font>
Gen.Talon
Regular Poster

Postby Hell's Premier Secretary on Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:31 pm

"Makes me wonder..any urban legands in your neck of the woods?"

A couple, but I deny them strenuously. They're not true, and even if they were, it wasn't me.
Hell's Premier Secretary

Postby Kishi Kat on Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:51 pm

*stares at the creepy pictures* Well, where I'm from all we've got is a haunted theater...but when I was little I swear under oath that I saw death...guy in a black robe...the whole nine yards. Scared the crap out of me. (For the record, I didn't see his face and I didn't notice any bunny ears.) I'm a creepy little creature...been seeing things that shouldn't be there as long as I can remember.

~Kishi Kat
Kishi Kat
Regular Poster

Postby DeByrus on Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:04 pm

On 2002-04-19 10:59, Gen.Talon wrote:
Makes me wonder..any urban legands in your neck of the woods?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gen.Talon on 2002-04-19 10:59 ]</font>

Hell, if you're from Michigan, you should know the stories of the Soo locks, or the haunted lighthouse about St. Ignace.

If I can remember the story later, I'll re-post.
True terror is waking up and realizing that your high school class is running the country.
DeByrus
Regular Poster

Postby LAGtheNoggin on Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:24 pm

Hauntings? Well now that I think about it this area is rather well known for that kinda' thing...

Let's start with closest first. Down the road is the infamous "Ducks Walk!" Ohkay, laugh now but when you see those ducks a comin' oh you'll run! Hah, you'll run like the rest of 'em! AHAHAHH!

Oh alright, Ducks Walk is possibly the most common place for sightings within a 100 meter radius of my abode, always a Nun walking along Ducks walk and then through a wall where there used to be a gate. Other sightings include waxy figures nearby just staring blankly into space and then disappearing and so on. Always a female nun figure. Well that's the closest, about a 10 second walk down the road. A further minutes walk and your up to Richmond Palace, where there are possibly countless sightings which I've never seen. It's a 600 year old palace filled with storys of murder, intruige, romance, royalty and death, what do you expect?

Then there's Neuton's House, a 300 year old house based at my old school. Inhabited by an 200 year old scullry maid which many people claim to have seen. There's also a rather intruiging tunnel system under the house but they bricked it up five years ago, typical, they still don't know where it goes... Hrmpf...

Other than that, well there's the Grotto my dad discovered, leads somewhere under Richmond, yet another tunnel system. They seemed to like tunnels around these parts. Then there's Marble Hill House, yet another listed building and quite obviously filled with ghosts. Next up are the countless pubs. No sightings at The Olde Ship yet, despite it's 800 year old heritage. The White Cross has had a few, nothing substantial. Then the countless hotels, parks, Henry the eigths hill, Star & Garter Veterans Home, tunnel systems, docks, old discarded gardens... The list goes on.

Blah. Too many 'reported' hauntings and no real sightings on my part to believe in that stuff :smile:
LAGtheNoggin
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mikaiten on Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:44 pm

On 2002-04-19 15:04, DeByrus wrote:

Hell, if you're from Michigan, you should know the stories of the Soo locks, or the haunted lighthouse about St. Ignace.

More Sooites!!! I'm across the river actually. Algoma U is my home :razz:
Mika

Mikaiten
Regular Poster

Postby thelizardgirl on Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:20 pm

Blah. Too many 'reported' hauntings and no real sightings on my part to believe in that stuff :smile:

uh oh! famous last words.
thelizardgirl
Regular Poster

Postby DarkBlood_Warwing on Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:31 pm

so -thats- what you got the idea for the comic!
DarkBlood_Warwing
Regular Poster

Postby TheRedWolf on Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:05 pm

I don't know any from my area, sorry, but I would like to know more about Kishi's "encounter", if there is more...
TheRedWolf
Regular Poster

Postby Katassah on Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:17 pm

Its a bit corney, but here's an urban legend from my old home town: Idiot (Elliot) Lake.

In the Central Ave. Public School, there's always been a rumour of a ghost walking the halls and the gym. It was the old 'one-eyed dead janitor' schtick too. People would see him after hours, but he never did really scare people.

I went to that school and heard the stories, but never saw anything myself.

What I did find out was that my Mother's father (who died before I was born) used to work at C.A.P.S. as a janitor..and he had lost one of his eyes in a mining accident.

Eep!
Hot tamales make my bottom burble.
Katassah

Postby Kishi Kat on Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:46 pm

You mean the "seeing Death" incident?

The full story is that I was laying in my bed and I looked down at the end toward my closet and saw this cloaked figure standing at the end of my bed. I assumed it was looking at me because that's the way it was facing. It scared me so damn bad that I couldn't even scream or cry. I ended up closing my eyes and hiding under the covers until the next morning.

I didn't see it again. But there was also the "Shadow" who (when I was young) I thought was my mom, so I got up to get a drink and realized my mom was asleep in her own bed. I distinctly saw this shadow go toward our bathroom at the other end of the house.

~Kishi
Kishi Kat
Regular Poster

Postby Grendelwulf on Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:44 pm

I've had odd experiences too. Quite odd, in fact. The first one is from when I was a wee-un, and my grandfather had just died. We were very close so of course, with me being me, I was in denial of it until a week later. I can't remember if this happened the day he died or after, but I saw a figure in a white flowing robes by the washer and dryer. I thought it was my mom, but her face looked different, and her hair was long and curled, kinda like in an old Botecelli painting of angels. To this day, I'm not sure what to make of that. I'm halfway between being an athiest and a believer who hates god, if that means anything.

This next one is odder, and I'm not sure if I was completely out of my mind or not (don't remember if I started my medication that far back :smile:). Here goes. One afternoon, I find myself surfing the net on my computer, and I hear an odd sound. No, let me rephrase that. A REALLY FUCKING DISTURBING NOISE! With that said, I'll continue. My ears prick up as they catch the sound of a chainsaw revving up/buzzing and the incessant screaming of about a dozen children. And from the sound of it, that chainsaw's cutting through something!

Now of course I'm a bit irked by this, so I look out the window. Nothing in my backyard, nothing in either neighbor's backyard or the people living behind us. I chalk it up to a person's loud lawnmower and kids playing in the street. Then I notice something odd about this sound, it manages to sound near and far at the same time. Far as in two blocks down, and near as in RIGHT NEXT TO MY FUCKING HOUSE! Needless to say I left the room for some refreshment. When I came back, the sound was gone. This happened two more times, once in the room with the computer and once in my own bedroom, and it sent razorblades my spine each time. Thankfully it stopped. Each "sound" took place within about 1 1/2 hours of the others on the days they occured. They occured weeks apart, so I'd of course forget about it until it happened again. I had forgotten about this until I saw Kishi's post. I'm still not sure if it was "real" or just my depression (which was pretty bad at the time) messing with me. Oh well, at least I got a good story idea out of this now. Who knows, maybe I'll add jack and co. to it...

Sorry this post was so long. I'm sick again at home with too much time on my hands. WAAAAAY too much time :smile:. See you guys later.
Grendelwulf
Regular Poster

Postby BladeKitsune on Sat Apr 20, 2002 2:42 am

I believe in gosts and such stuff, but I also think that only certain people can see or here them. Too me i feel these people are the lucky ones, unless they stumble apon some of the unfreindly ones, becuase I really would like to have an encounter.
BladeKitsune
Regular Poster

Postby LAGtheNoggin on Sat Apr 20, 2002 5:31 am

On 2002-04-19 16:20, skizzy the wonder lizard wrote:

uh oh! famous last words.

One can only hope. Love to actually see a ghost but when you live and work in a place where so many people have claimed a sighting and you haven't, well, you just don't believe. It's like living in a haunted house for all your life and you don't see anything. What are you supposed to believe? :razz:
LAGtheNoggin
Cartoon Hero

On the subject of ghosts and haunted places.

Postby TornWingedDragon on Tue May 21, 2002 5:28 pm

*The dragon wears a dark cloak about his shoulders, while a slight smile dots his cheeks*

I have had a personal experience with 'spirits' and 'haunted' places in my life, from the first being I have contacted one and... been posessed, all the way to seeing posession in my friends. I suppose I shall have to explain this.

A long while ago, I was looking into the psychic phonomena, and a friend of mine, I use the term liberaly, convinced me to try it. I got into it, and made contact with him to the extent that I was having the ability to *see* where he was, and actualy describe things about him. Odd, eh?

Well, I got deeper into it, and deeper, until I went into a meditation into a forest near where I used to live. I went in, found a place to walk around and think in, when I heard a growl on the level of a cougar.

There are no Cougars where I lived.

I turned and left, and felt a presance behind my shoulder, I began to converse with it, when I heard laughter, and turned my head and my eye was less than a fraction of an inch from my eye... I mean, I was at the point that I could have gone blind, or had a sharp branch pierce through my temple. I paused, and heard it laugh at me again. I laughed back at it, and went home.

THat night I saw evil. A black, writhing mass of tendrils and sparkles in shadows, I saw it, its intent to destroy me, and my soul - this thing haunted me for almost a year, even after I prayed for it to go away - I am a hardcore believer in Christ. This is just the begining, but I have felt evil, and I...

I am still scared. But I am not afraid to face spirits or ghosts.
TornWingedDragon

Regarding supernatural events

Postby Orcus on Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:59 am

Ok, this is something that to this day puzzles me and scares the crap out of me.. From what i know it is called the Last greeting event among those who study parapsychology.

When i was 15 yrs old, about 8 years after my father had died I was going to visit a friend who lives across the capitol of sweden. It would take about 2 hours with bus and trains.. When i was to board the train, I got a icy cold feeling and i felt a hand on my shoulder and heard my father say "wait, take the next train". I spun around and looked for my father and saw only unknown people. I decided not to take the train.. Half an hour later they said over the PA system that the train had been derailed and killed all in the first wagon.. That is one freaky event that made me curious on if there is something after death...
Orcus

Next

Return to Jack