The most brilliantest idea ever

Locked
Lobo
Regular Poster
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: spooksville, spookonia

Post by Lobo »

Well... not really.

So I (like most people here, I presume) have a long list of fucking good music I associate with Jack, (some Oingo Boingo, Big Black, Apoptygma Berzerk, Legendary Pink Dots, Nick Cave, even some Radiohead and Massive Attack, and others :razz:)and I was wondering how I could share it with you, my wonderful forum-going friends. Then I thought, Hey, why not burn a 'sound track' CD and send some copies to David, then he could send 'em to other people, maybe asking for a donation or something.
Then I realized, Hey, that would put me in a position to get sued! :grin: A lot! :grin: :grin: For copyright infringement and lots of other good stuff. And who the hell wants to listen to music they're not sure they'll like anyway? (although if you don't like my music you surely have terrible taste and should be euthanized immediately. No, not really. Sorry.)

Anyway, this brings me to the next, and brilliantest, idea: Why not start a Jack radio-station? So I went and downloaded Shoutcast (for winamp) and the DNAS server program and started broadcasting.

Unfortunately, with my bandwidth, there's a maximum of like, 8 listeners at one time (if you want decent quality audio).

So what do you think? David, do you even want a radio station? (I'd take requests, put up any music you thought was apropos) Is there any way to make it not suck without having to pay for a server to host it? Does anyone who knows more about this shit than I do feel inclined to take over?

Anyways, if you guys like the idea, I'll post the url of the station as soon as I've got the bugs worked out. (it'll change every time i go online, because i don't have a static IP address)

_________________
Behold, Spooky! the thing what SQUEEKS!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lobo on 2002-03-16 17:38 ]</font>

DavidHopkins
Regular Poster
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Contact:

Post by DavidHopkins »

*shrugs* I dunno, it's definatly an origonal idea I just don't know how some people will feel when I request something by Hans Zimmer:)

Vazagi
Regular Poster
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by Vazagi »

I think that it's a good idea, but you have to consider if wasting your bandwidth on complete strangers is worth it :wink:

On a side note, have you ever heard Iced Earth's 'The Dark Saga'? Every time i hear it i think of Jack. But that is not surprising considering the theme... :smile:
Threads don't have points... Needles do.

DarkBlood_Warwing
Regular Poster
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: gondwanda
Contact:

Post by DarkBlood_Warwing »

hans zimmer....i forget what he did.

Wolven
Regular Poster
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2002 4:00 pm

Post by Wolven »

I admit I kinda like the idea, great way to skirt those pesky copyright laws. Of course it would help if you had a T# or OC# line.

Lobo
Regular Poster
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: spooksville, spookonia

Post by Lobo »

Okay, let's see how this works :razz:
I'm just broadcasting one song for the trial run, so please tell me if you can receive it (you need winamp).

Sorry, David, I was going to play Ashes to Ashes from the Black Hawk Down sound-track, but it sounded too crappy at 24kbps :wink:

Alright, anyone interested go here
Hopefully you'll hear 'No Spill Blood'

Oh, and I set the max users at five. Sorry :oops:
Behold, Spooky! the thing what SQUEEKS!

Vazagi
Regular Poster
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by Vazagi »

Works for me. :grin: *Thumbs up*
Threads don't have points... Needles do.

User avatar
Mikaiten
Regular Poster
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: SSM, Canada
Contact:

Post by Mikaiten »

I went, I heard, I was impressed. Okay so maybe my T1 connection helped me be a tad more impressed than some would be. Radio stations on slower connections are a bitch. I think it's a good idea if you have the time, energy, and bandwidth to do it.

Striker
Regular Poster
Posts: 388
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

Post by Striker »

If I may suggest a song...'Kinslayer' by Nightwish. It's the Angry Brian storyline in music, with one kick-ass opera voice...

Lobo
Regular Poster
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: spooksville, spookonia

Post by Lobo »

Okay, cool... that was kind of successful :roll:
Well, I stopped broadcasting because otherwise I can't use my browser. That's a bit of a problem.
Um.. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be glad to hear them, otherwise I don't think this'll really work.
Dammit.
Behold, Spooky! the thing what SQUEEKS!

Troubled Youth
Regular Poster
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Palo Alto, California
Contact:

Post by Troubled Youth »

the Iced Earth song you used was great, but probably a better one by them would be Jack.

also, I think Megadeth's "Promises" goes good with the T&T arc.

Locked