Lara Croft SUCKS.

Postby Darnn on Fri Apr 05, 2002 1:37 pm

Alright, I should really try this SS2 dealie, but I can't get past the fact that I haven't played SS1. I've tried, but God, it's uglier than DooM!
I'm spoiled, I know, I used to play Doom and like it, but... I just can't do it. Is SS2 still playable today, graphics-wise? Or, more importantly, control-wise? I can't play without strafing or a mouse. It kills me, but I can't.

And Yahtzee, if she would've been perfect, you would've had something to worry about. This of it this way: May it be the least of your differences.
I have feelings for a girl who loves Iron Maiden, for crying out loud.
Darnn
Regular Poster

Postby Elf_lord on Fri Apr 05, 2002 5:41 pm

I am sorry but on the subject of Frist/Third person shooter here is the definitive list
Best old FPS: Wolfenstein 3d
Best New FPS: Dues Ex
Best New TPS: Max Payne
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein
Elf_lord
Regular Poster

Postby SimeSublime on Sat Apr 06, 2002 6:34 am

I cant really see the attraction to FPS games myself. I mean, theyre ok, but they lose interest pretty quickly. I played through Half Life, and finally managed to kill that big flying baby thing, but by then I was so sick of the game that I couldnt be assed playing any multiplayer mods or the like. Give me a good RTS, RPG, Adventure game or Platformer anyday.
Puffins are Supreme.

The customer may always be right, but that doesnt mean that they have an ounce of intelligence ~Phrasz~
SimeSublime
Regular Poster

Postby Elf_lord on Sun Apr 07, 2002 5:41 am

In a way Dues Ex is more than just a FPS it is also a RPG in the way that your chooses help to define the ending
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein
Elf_lord
Regular Poster

Postby Elf_lord on Sun Apr 07, 2002 5:41 am

Excuse the double post

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Elf_lord on 2002-04-09 00:22 ]</font>
Elf_lord
Regular Poster

Postby Mark Sherry on Mon Apr 08, 2002 3:48 pm

Darnn: I haven't played SS1, but SS2 is fine. It was made in '99 (I think) by the same people who made Thief. The graphics are nice and purty (or purty enough) and the controls are a quite good.
I haven't gotten too far in it, but that's mostly due to lack of time.

The game has RPG elements in it as well as FPS. There are three character classes to choose from, and several sub-options available during character development. Classes aren't enforced beyond starting equipment & stats (AFAIK), and you can modify your character during play with modules you earn for completing tasks, or find hidden.
Ammunition supplies are sparse enough that going in guns blazing isn't always the best option. Weapons also degrade, although they can be repaired at a cost. This also means that although the zombies are carrying shotguns, they're not really worth picking up, especially since you have a limited inventory space (done is a style similar to Diablo, only also based on character strength).

If you get a chance to play this game, go for it.

Anyway, I thought the best part of LR2 was riding the snowmobile and running over endangered snow leopards. Heh heh heh.
Cthlulhu fhtagn that people would quit trying to wake him.
<A HREF="http://tcow.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>The Call of Whatever</a>
Mark Sherry
Regular Poster

Postby Darnn on Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:27 am

What's LR?
Darnn
Regular Poster

Postby Elizabeth Sherry on Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:20 am

I think he was trying for either TR (Tomb Raider) or LC (Lara Croft). I'll ask him when I see him.

[Edit: he was trying for Tomb Raider, apparently.]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Elizabeth Sherry on 2002-04-09 14:12 ]</font>
Elizabeth Sherry
Regular Poster

Postby Yahtzee on Tue Apr 09, 2002 12:26 pm

Heh. Lara Raider.
Yahtzee
Regular Poster

Postby Scruffie on Wed Apr 10, 2002 1:14 pm

Jedi Knight 2 is great. Its the best TPS by far.
I think TPS are better than FPS. I don't know why, i just do.
Me? I'm just the sex appeal.
Scruffie
Regular Poster

Postby Elf_lord on Fri Apr 12, 2002 2:43 am

I don't know, I personly prefer Birds eye view rts to all FPS, TPS and any other hybrids that are on the market

As an after thought let us all think back to Duke Nukem 3D and rember the rather terrible things that happened when you kicked and mighty footed at once. Also when you went to third person view, And how Duke was see through.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Elf_lord on 2002-04-12 03:51 ]</font>
Elf_lord
Regular Poster

Postby Gorillaman on Tue Apr 16, 2002 3:24 am

The game crashed my machine.
Angelina Jolie is hot, has been for many years.
Gorillaman

Previous

Return to Yahtzee Takes On The World