Alternatives to Comic Genesis?

Alternatives to Comic Genesis?

Postby Allan_ecker on Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:15 am

Comic Genesis has been my host for seven years.

They have been my host, through good update reliability and bad, for the better part of a decade.

It is certainly true that I am rather ignorant to the alternatives, but honestly, Comic Genesis has always struck me as about a fair deal considering my station. Here's what it's given me:

1: A consistent domain.
I have had to change my URL once in seven years. I got lots of warning for this and was able to get it swapped over with minimal fuss.

2: Good scripts.
The calendar functions, automatically configuring archives, and tagging commands might not be horrendously sophistocated. But they make it super, super easy for me to keep my archives up-to-date, no matter how lazy I get with mucking in HTML code. And for anyone who's ever watched for updates to the main page, links pages, etcetera, I get pretty damn lazy.

3: Decent financials.
I could complain (and probably legitimately) that as one of the less sucktacular comics on ComicGenesis, I'm probably fairly close to pulling my own weight in the ad space, and then some. I really don't know how well (or, probably more accuratley, poorly) ComicGenesis is doing financially, but to me it seems pretty good: I pay nothing at all for service, and the ads I get pasted on my sites are of a fairly innocuous grade, more in line with the LiveJournals of the world than, say, Superdickery.com, which has regular screamer ads and such. Comic Genesis, formerly Keenspace, has always given me space without burdening my site with horrendous ad levels.

HOWEVER.

I do have some complaints, and lately they've loomed large enough for me to start pondering alternatives, only to discover I really don't know much about those alternatives. So here are my greivances:

1: Reliability.
Keenspace/Comic Genesis has always had reliability issues. The sites go down, the accounts crash, and one always gets the impression of a couple dudes in a basement trying to hold the servers together with scripts and moxie. Basically, the site would go down, go into a lag black hole, or fail to update a lot, and all we the comics makers can do is shrug and go "well, I'm gettin' this for free anyway..."

2: Flexibility.
The scripts are what they are: effective if you've got one comic. If you want to do multiple comics on multiple tracks, or have one place to go where the newest update always shows but then ways to thread through only the comics labled with the right tags, you're SOL in Comic Genesis. You may have noticed UH2 is rapidly gaining companions in the list of comics I work on, but the only thing for these comics is to dump them into obscure pages and hope they get visited at some point.

3: Ego.
I do feel kind of like a wuss that I don't dive in and deal with my own site directly. I could do it, but I don't do it. And that makes me feel inferior, geek-wise, even if I do put a high priority on keeping as much of my comics time aside for actually making comics as possible.

4: Website.
I do not really have a website for me. I have a website for my comic, a DeviantArt account, and a LiveJournal, but that's about it. I'd like to have a few sections aside, for example a links page I could show folks at work, maybe stuff about current projects that would sit there instead of scrolling away as soon as my latest batch of Neitzche-flavored rants came in, that kind of thing. This is definitely not what Comic Genesis is for.

But I really don't know what my options are, so I'm gonna ask you guys: what do you think I should do about this? Should I stick with CG? Go it alone on Blockhouse? Find another comics collective?

I'm all ears at this point-- if there's a better way to get at least what I get from CG or more, I'd love to hear it.
<A HREF="http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com" TARGET=_blank>UH2: The Mayhem of a New Generation</A>

"Death and taxes are unsolved engineering problems."
--Romano Machado
Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Postby DetailBear on Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:52 pm

I read, but I'm unsure.

I checked my comics, and everyone with more than a PG rating seems to have their own domain. I'm not seeing Purrsia or The Nice as a good fit for UH.
HUGS = Huge, Unrestrained, Genial Squeezings.

A man’s accomplishments in life are the cumulative effect of his attention to detail. - John Foster Dulles
DetailBear
Regular Poster

Postby Buck on Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:30 am

You'd probably have to have your own webcomic to really answer this. I only know Carpe Diem moved to http://www.webcomicsnation.com after it was canceled, but I couldn't say if it's a good site or if it fits your needs.
Buck

Postby Kels on Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:50 am

I'm not sure what to advise in terms of free sources. But I got pretty sick of CG's frequent downtime and having late updates almost every single time my comic was supposed to update and went independent about a month and a half ago.

It honestly wasn't very expensive to get hosting and such, and once I got the hang of iStrip it was pretty easy to set up my page. Now it's all under my control, and my host guarantees 99% uptime, which blows CG out of the water. I'm not sure if iStrip allows multiple tracks, but I think it might. Since I don't do that, I haven't had a good reason to look into it.
Kels
Regular Poster

Postby E_voyager on Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:18 am

I've only know about these people a few days while reading the comic Between us but they seem like an alternative to the better known comic servers.

http://mindfaucet.com/comicpress/about
the darkness is ever present even in the light.

the perversion doesn't stop just because the sun comes up

if i can make people think and consider their lives even for a moment each day then my life has just that much more meaning

one of the hardest skills i seek to master is the skill of knowing when to shut up
Check out the test to find out who you are!
E_voyager
Regular Poster

Postby Tetramorpheus on Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:49 am

Hmmm... well, I've seen several other sites like spiderforest.com, but for the most part they all seem to run along comicgenesis's format, both in terms of site maintenance and other areas like ***tags*** etc (I could be wrong, as this is inferred from a few comments made by artists using other sites).

They may be more reliable than comicgenesis (its hard to not be sometimes). But that itself sounds like its the first of a long list of growing dissatisfactions on your end. You might want to email a people using other servers, particularly those who made a switch (does anyone know where Fur will Fly ended up? I lost track of them a while back?) to see what they like and or dislike. A webcomicer (webcomicist? webcomedian?) could give you the best advice, I think.
Tetramorpheus
Regular Poster

Postby Alfador on Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:56 am

Three-tailed fox, in the house--Fox Den, that is!
Rick/Jake Shipper #00017
Alfador
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tegeran on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:11 am

Allan, if you like, drop me a line at nknight AT runawaynet DOT com. I can probably get you started on a fairly painless transition, the cost ($0) of which you should like just fine. :)

(I'm a professional sysadmin and the original author and later co-author with Nicholas Killewald of AutoFox, the AutoKeen (and a bit more) clone that has been reliably running Fight, Cast, or Evade, Dementia of Magic, and every comic/mirror on HiRezFox for the last 4-5 years. I'm in the middle of a job transition that includes picking up the pieces to try and keep my last employer afloat, but I should have plenty of time over the next 2-3 weeks to get you squared away, and if you're not prepared to move that quickly, I'll have even more time in a couple months :).

Any modifications/additions you may want to AutoFox will take some time, but in its current state, you can run multiple comics under one "site" without much trouble, and there's room to get creative. AutoFox has a few tricks up its sleeve that have the potential to do neat and flexible things. It is a little finicky in configuration, but once it's up, it doesn't break. :))
Tegeran

Postby Micro_Fur on Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:37 am

Tegeran wrote:. . .but once it's up, it doesn't break. :))

YOU FOOL!!!! You've invoked the Law of Dramatic Irony! :o

*Runs away screaming hoping to not be hit from the eventual shrapnel*

Micro_fur - Stealing one-liners, again.
If the quest for answers only leads to more questions, did you ask the right question to begin with?
Micro_Fur
Regular Poster

Postby Tegeran on Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:33 pm

Micro_Fur wrote:

After the year I've had, Murphy and his accomplices fear me. :twisted:
Tegeran

Postby Micro_Fur on Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:27 pm

Tegeran wrote:
Micro_Fur wrote:

After the year I've had, Murphy and his accomplices fear me. :twisted:

Oh. . .Well in that case you're going to have to teach me some of your voodoo. That or share some of that anti-crash ward.

Micro-fur - What was that noise?
If the quest for answers only leads to more questions, did you ask the right question to begin with?
Micro_Fur
Regular Poster

Return to Umlaut House